Who is Sheffield Wednesday's greatest ever goalkeeper?

Just now, DSandersonOWL said:

Thank you for reinforcing what I wrote : 'the normally faultless Ron Springett'. 

Perhaps we should give Dawson a break after his heroic cup winning MOM performance yesterday.

He gets praise where it’s due he was good yesterday but we still need another keeper this window

38 minutes ago, Manx Owl said:

Don’t forget Peter Grummit took the spot when the late Peter Springett lost form. He never let us down 

Best goalkeeping performance i ever saw was from Peter Grummitt in 1967..playing for Forest against us at Hillsborough, made some unreal saves and we went on to lose 2-0, was in the England u23 setup i believe but broke his arm and not long after signed for us ...very good keeper, Ron Springett was just a class act all of the time..some of his diving saves were amazing.

On 09/11/2017 at 14:25, steveger said:

We have always have decent keepers

The Springett brothers

Bob Bolder

Martin Hodge

Kevin Pressman

Chris Woods

Pavel Srnicek

Nicky Weaver

Scott Carson

Mark Crossley

Lee Grant

Stephen Bywater

Chris Kirkland

even the young Richard O'Donnell wasn't bad IMO

Not to mention a world cup winner in Martinez! Admittedly very early in his career

Guest Laurena
On 09/11/2017 at 13:36, Lincs Owl said:

From Tinsley, surely?

Spot on. Uncle had builders yard on Attercliffe Common.

On 09/11/2017 at 13:27, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Ron was before my time, since then quite a few of our keepers have had really purple patches where they looked unbeatable. In this category I would put Westwood, Carson, Hodge and Pressman, Pressynwas always great against the blades. For that reason alone I will go with Pressman and will never forgive Woods

From your list Hodge was head and shoulders above the rest. Woods had a better overall career but Hodge was peerless in a Wednesday shirt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Honourable mention to Ron Springett but my vote would go to Jack Brown.

Over 500 games for Wednesday, 2 League Championships, One FA Cup in 1935 and 1 Second Div Championship.

Also played 6 times for England

s-l1200.webp

Never seen that photo before. Clearly Highbury and Wednesday players in the background but where's the crowd?  Not a wartime game as he left us in 1937.

On 09/11/2017 at 13:35, Lincs Owl said:

Not seen them all.  Jack brown is probably the most famous, alongside Ron Springett who was good. 

I'd say Springett, Hodge in his prime and Pressman in his prime were the best 3 I've seen.   

I'd have included Westwood but he's made a few boobs in the last 12 months, presumably due to that niggling back problem.  

Games all about opinion but to rank Westwood alongside Hodge and Springett isn’t valid IMHO

• Like 1

Forgot to mention Hodge should have gone to the World Cup in '86 as England's 3rd keeper but Gary Bailey recovered from injury at the last minute only to break down again as soon as they got to Mexico when it was too late to do anything about it.

Ron Springett bye a mile, spent so many weeks (years) watching him total star if it had not been for Banks would have had many more England caps (Banks was another level sorry to say),

• Love 1

From my time watching us it’s got be Hodge , Woods was good but I feel Hodge was the better all round keeper. 

Wish we had signed Iain Turner full time , he really looked like he was going to be a great  keeper sadly it never materialised. 

• Like 1

Ron Springett no contest. My first hero, a classy keeper. Cool under pressure and best bit of goalkeeping i ever saw, when we played Stoke away, won 1 0 we would have got hammered but Springett was unbelievable. about 1967? . Banks was in Stoke goal and he applauded Springett of the pitch.

My thoughts, based on a previous post.

Level 1 R Springett 

Level 2 Hodge 

Level 3  Pressman, Woods, Turner, 

Level 4 Srnicek, Fox, Carson, Westwood, Bolder 

Level 5 Kirkland , Grant, Grummitt

level 6 Weaver ,Lucas, Dawson,  P Springett, Wildsmith, Bywater

Level 7 Ramsbottom, Cox, Stringer

Level 10 Tidman

• Like 1