Sheffield Wednesday Steering Group - Post your concerns

On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 03:58, Utah Owl said:

On the subject of the stripes I would ask if Mr Chansiri understands that all of our many achievements have been done in striped shirts and that amongst the fans the current Arsenal kit is considered unlucky because it heralded the most serious decline in our history and in the very first season we had the kit we proceeded to become the first team in history to blow a 2-0 lead in a cup final (yes I know that in the actual final we wore our away strip).

We need to have the stripes back, we were the first UK club to wear them (blue & White ones) and it is absolutely a key part of our identity, history and tradition. If he wants to get the fans on side and sell loads of shirts give us the stripes back!

Watch wednesday by wearing blue and white stripes on your lenses, it doesnt work but at least you made an effortWTF:

I have no faith in the Steering Committee. 

Can we have a formal arrangement in place with a bona fide Supporters Group please. Supporters represented by Sheffield Wednesday supporting businessmen who not only understand the key issues, but also possess business acumen, are knowledgeable in business etiquette, and eloquent enough to get salient points across without making themselves look daft.

I respectfully suggest that anything bunged in an Owls Talk thread would be better sent to an email address of a bona fide, formal, supporters group who have proper, formal, regular meetings with the club’s Executives subject to pre-determined meeting agendas, minute taking, and properly published actions / outcomes / resolutions.

Waiting for Fred to come back with his notes, and commenting on the free scran, or hearing about the gobshite who wouldn’t shut up, don’t do it for me.

It would be good to get a list of questions asked previously and the outcomes

Particularly interested in previously asked questions so that we can either not bother asking them again because we know the outcome OR asking them again because we've asked before, been promised something or told something will happen but it hasn't

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Can we have a formal arrangement in place with a bona fide Supporters Group please. Supporters represented by Sheffield Wednesday supporting businessmen who not only understand the key issues, but also possess business acumen, are knowledgeable in business etiquette, and eloquent enough to get salient points across without making themselves look daft.

I respectfully suggest that anything bunged in an Owls Talk thread would be better sent to an email address of a bona fide, formal, supporters group who have proper, formal, regular meetings with the club’s Executives subject to pre-determined meeting agendas, minute taking, and properly published actions / outcomes / resolutions.

Waiting for Fred to come back with his notes, and commenting on the free scran, or hearing about the gobshite who wouldn’t shut up, don’t do it for me.

Perhaps the club don't want/need this, so we have to make the best of what we do have.

5 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Perhaps the club don't want/need this, so we have to make the best of what we do have.

It’s just PR in its current format. Nothing more, nothing less.

Will keep an eye open for tangible resolutions to well presented discussion points though.

Hats off to those trying to make a difference though. I know you all go in with the best intentions. 

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

It’s just PR in its current format. Nothing more, nothing less.

Will keep an eye open for tangible resolutions to well presented discussion points though.

Hats off to those trying to make a difference though. I know you all go in with the best intentions. 

Its original intention was to give a chairman who was totally new to everything relating to English football feedback on the matchday experience, topics that may seem trivial to some were covered to try and get a better experience for visiting fans, its only with recent failings particularly from the commercial side that fans have wanted more in depth answers.

14 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Niether do the 'Bona Fide' business men who were the custodians of our club and guided us to year on year of European success. So pleased that LS came along and in Poker parlance went 'All In' calling their bluff. Can't expect DC to get everything right first time every time but I feel most strongly that we are in a better place in terms of our perspectives at any time since 1961. 

DC set out his blueprint; Help from our fans who could most afford it would mean more from DC. I think a good few of those 'Bona Fide' Businessmen gave their answer. "Boxes at knock down prices" !  

Currently we have sold no corporate boxes for the third year on the trot, so this is costing us at least £1/2m a season, not to include the knock on sponsorship we get when often the match day sponsor comes from the corporate sponsors.

So here is an idea for the club off a basic package of a corporate box of say £800 a game for 10-12 people, then offer graded packages for a extra £300 a free bar, £25 a head lunch before the game, for an extra £500 they can have an ex player in the box with them and so on and so on. Per game if you have everything this would be nearly £2,000 a game or £46,000 over the season.

If we market the corporate boxes like above people buying them are getting to feel like they are wanted ,then they will get used. But the current marketing strategy seems to currently be by our marketing manage is what is the maximum we can screw out of the corporate box I know lets charge £48,000 for a box and guess how many we have sold.

Basic error all over the club like the match day experiences, catering always running out on match day and poor service with long cues, the Megastore with its out of date stock, the kit fiasco, the lack of any celebrations for the 150th year for the fans (not including the £150 a ticket gala).

Take the now worldwide joke of our club with the kits, we could positively come out of this, the club comes out and says they value the fans and to show that Adult shirts for season ticket holders will be £30 and all kids shirts will be £25. This make the fans feel wanted but the club comes out with the pricing of £60 a adult shirt and kids £45 and we feel like we are getting milked again.

Everything wrong with the club if handled correctly could end up being a positive if managed and marketed correctly but I can only go on what we have seen from Joe so far and I don't have any confidence that he can deliver.

37 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I'm assuming this is a joke ? Sheffield Wednesday fans group ? If my memory serves me right the fans groups in the recent past have contributed to the darkest days in our history , we do not need to go back to that ever , thankfully the days of the self serving ego maniacs chastening the board every time they sneezed are behind us 

Carry on Mr Chansiri I'm enjoying my football thanks 

4 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

I'm assuming this is a joke ? Sheffield Wednesday fans group ? If my memory serves me right the fans groups in the recent past have contributed to the darkest days in our history , we do not need to go back to that ever , thankfully the days of the self serving ego maniacs chastening the board every time they sneezed are behind us 

Carry on Mr Chansiri I'm enjoying my football thanks 

I think the old dear who used to run the supporters club wouldn't be very happy with that!

seriously I do think wednesdayite did a lot of damage to the supporters representation during that period. But the club is a different beast now and I think wednesdayite ended up in a bad light rather unfairly. I believe some of them were actually at the forefront of realising the club was going to hell in a hand cart and tried to hold. The custodians of our club to account. They were also instrumental in actually getting them to accept it was time to sell up and bugger off.

as for the current steering group. 1 stop asking the same questions. 2 make some constructive suggestions instead of bashing the club.

this is the best we've had it for ages. Let's make the most of it!!!

Just now, Plonk said:

I think the old dear who used to run the supporters club wouldn't be very happy with that!

seriously I do think wednesdayite did a lot of damage to the supporters representation during that period. But the club is a different beast now and I think wednesdayite ended up in a bad light rather unfairly. I believe some of them were actually at the forefront of realising the club was going to hell in a hand cart and tried to hold. The custodians of our club to account. They were also instrumental in actually getting them to accept it was time to sell up and bugger off.

as for the current steering group. 1 stop asking the same questions. 2 make some constructive suggestions instead of bashing the club.

this is the best we've had it for ages. Let's make the most of it!!!

To be clear my comment was never aimed as Mrs Nettleship, the ones after that should hold there head in shame 

150th year:

what went wrong? Did they take it seriously enough?

Let's be reyt, it's been sh*t. We had a firework display and a very expensive dinner. There has been pet shop all done around the ground to commemorate the anniversary, and there's nowt you can buy on the shop, apart from an expensive print of the Dream Scene. 

Its been woeful and this is the bit that annoys me, more than the kit fiasco. 

Communication: 

Whilst it's pretty poor that supporters are unable to buy the shirt, sh*t happens. So just communicate with the fans clearly and regularly. Don't just ignore it until a day before the season starts. Keep the communication going and maintain as much transparency as possible. 

Only way to get the stripes back is to boycott any home shirts that don't have stripes.

All turn up in your retro striped shirts every home game. Any of those that caved in and got the new shirt would be outnumbered by the striped brigade. I realise it's hard to do this if you have kids that want the new shirt but we are the consumer, people power and all that.

I think this is being done as a box ticking exercise. Pointless in my opinion. The hard word will always come from the terraces. That's the true voice. Fans groups are usually full of the self important who say they speak for the many but really it's their own views they put across. For instance, the club is well aware of the majority of fans views surrounding the kit and shop through old and modern mediums, ie. word of mouth and internet forums etc. Is there really a need for another bloke to stand up and start bleating about it. 

2 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Only way to get the stripes back is to boycott any home shirts that don't have stripes.

All turn up in your retro striped shirts every home game. Any of those that caved in and got the new shirt would be outnumbered by the striped brigade. I realise it's hard to do this if you have kids that want the new shirt but we are the consumer, people power and all that.

Problem with that theory is that whilst the vocal majority on here crave the stripes the truth is when the current design actually appears for sale they wont be able to keep up with demand its been well received in reality