Marco Matias

Watto

55 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

The continued absence of players is something that's always worried me during CC's time at the club. I don't know why it's the case, but whichever reason it is, it's a serious concern.

We are signing crocks- a fundamental flaw in recruitment? oversights by medical staff? risks taken post medical results?

We are continually getting too many injuries- something wrong with training methods, these causes should be rooted out and changes made. Could have been medical staff issue, but they were all sacked and the problems persist.

Injuries used as an excuse to explain poor squad management- I can understand why some prescribe to this. I'm not saying it's happening, but if it is it's inexcusable.

Or are we just unlucky? For a season maybe, but two and half? I'm not having that.

In CCs first year, we were lucky with injuries.

As discussed in another thread, we're not exactly sure who finds players and what part Carlos plays in the process, although we've had a few Portuguese players. It does make you wonder why we end up with so many players that are constantly injured or not deemed good enough to play.

17 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

It was goal of the season at all clubs in the world.... so i think it pips our other goal of the season attempts. Ill always love Matias for that goal.Even if he never plays again. 

You must be an easily satisfied person. I would want a bit more than that goal (and one or two others) to justify a transfer fee purported to be around two million and three years wages.

6 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

So he and Rhodes came on at Bolton and tore it up.

Carlos' response?

Drop the both of them.

Carlos is a fundamentalist. He only has one way of playing. So stubborn. 

Same with João comes on in the derby and scores whilst looking lively , should have played Wednesday night for me and rested Fletch but Carlos knows better of course 

2 hours ago, Ian said:

The problem Matias has is that when he isn't injured he's got a bit of pace.....which instantly rules him out of contention.

the only time he gets a look in is when he's on his way back from injury but not yet full fit so is as slow as the rest of the side and gets a place on the bench

For some reason this reminded me of the times of James O'Connor playing on the left wing under Megson. We love a sloth on the wing! 

3 hours ago, Watto said:

Does anyone if he's injured once again?

I've noticed he hasn't been in the last few squads, it'd be nice to have Loovens Hutchinson and Abdi available aswell, seems every time our players get an injury they are out weeks/months, so much for changing the medical team in the summer!

He's doing the knowledge test for licence for D taxi's along with several others. 

• Haha 1

Marco was signed to play wide (probably left) in a 4-3-3

He'll be branded as too lazy/ineffective defensively to play wide in the current 4-4-2 setup by Carlos and some fans. That's fair enough, but also a symptom of the underlying problem... We need freshening up. I can't wait for a new manager to come in with a fresh pair of eyes and fresh ideas. Matias could be crap... He was a 'nearly' player when he first joined us and then since his injury he's been nothing. Maybe two years out has ruined him, maybe he'll carry on where he left off and grow into the role of a class Champ player as he turns those "nearly's" into "yes"es. Realistically we just don't know.

Only thing I do know is, we won't ever have a definitive answer under the existing setup with CC at the helm.

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Marco was signed to play wide (probably left) in a 4-3-3

He'll be branded as too lazy/ineffective defensively to play wide in the current 4-4-2 setup by Carlos and some fans. That's fair enough, but also a symptom of the underlying problem... We need freshening up. 

100%  this. 

Time for us to go back to that way of lining up as well.

You take away the final games of the season and cup games and he's not started for us for 18 months, and before that it was 2 years ago.

He's had injuries, but he's been more or less fit since at least last March.

He featured heavily in CC's first couple of months with us, but since then he's hardly had a look in.

It seems Matias was bought in with a view to playing a way that CC ditched after a couple of months of being here. McGugan was another casualty of CC's perception of players as only ever being played in a particular formation, or not at all.

Carlos likes his wide attacking players to track back and assist with defending. On the face of it, this seems like a sensible attitude to take, but then you realize that it seems to be his main criteria for a wide attacking player to be able to track back.

So, McManaman, Buckley, Sougou, McGeady, and Matias have all auditioned for the role, but ultimately been rejected (even for a place on the bench) because they were either not inclined or fit enough to track back. Granted, some were also perhaps rejected for their lack of contributions in attack also!

So, we're left with Reach, Wallace, and Boyd, or whichever central midfielder draws the short straw and gets put there. Boyd and Reach both have 'good engines' and can run all day - Bannan and Lee are the same when they get put there. Wallace is perhaps the closest we have to a winger, but his game has never been about pace.

Basically, it seems that what CC values most in his wide attackers is their ability to defend. Even FF is excused from playing there as soon as he points out that if he has to keep tracking back he lacks the 'henergy' to attack. I think for CC now, the purpose of the wide midfielder is to cover for the full back when they're attacking (attacking in this case means getting into a good crossing position and then 'passing' to the opposition - then again there's only ever one of ours to aim at anyway!)