Ticket Details For The Sheffield Derby

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

Your're talking yourself down mate.

I think it does.

Life's all about prioritising.

You made your choice and you chose Wednesday over Sky.

17 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Seriously!!

Is that the best you can come up with?

Sounds like a ten year old.

Well the first quoted post says enough. Your view is that somebody is more of a fan because they prioritise a season ticket over other things.

I'd say they're fortunate to be able to prioritise a season ticket.

For a lot of people it isn't an option and you seem to think that, because those people HAVE NO CHOICE but to only attend a few games per season, they should be charged through the nose for a ticket. Punishment for not being a true fan.

What your ignorant view doesn't account for is other costs incurred for attending games, like my dad who has a circa 400 mile round trip to attend. It's only 42 quid though it'll be reyt. 

Edited by Chardron
42 quid not 37!!

Guest Copthorneowl
1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Well I have an ST. Will continue to.  I like  my seat.  My view and probably most importantly my neighbours. 

I can afford it.

But let's us be honest. 

Our club is like everything else.......The poorest suffer most. 

Yes there is a choice to be made in some cases. 

But if we think some people haven't been almost completely priced out then we have delusion. 

The people who can't afford to pay their car insurance for the year in one lump and have to pay in quarters pay more overall.  You can't afford a season  ticket in one go but still want to get to ad many games as you can...you pay more.  

The less you have... the more you pay.... for less

Good post full of common sense, there's nothing wrong with feeling sympathy for lots of our great supporters who struggle with our pricing strategy despite being able to understand much of the rationale behind it and not being personally affected by it.

Thers nothing wrong with being in both camps on this one surely.

11 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Good post full of common sense, there's nothing wrong with feeling sympathy for lots of our great supporters who struggle with our pricing strategy despite being able to understand much of the rationale behind it and not being personally affected by it.

Thers nothing wrong with being in both camps on this one surely.

It is sadly how the world works. 

It is always those with least that suffer the most.

Those that live week to week who pay more.

Our club is no different and I don't find there anything wrong with us highlighting it. It doesn't make any of us anti-Wednesday to say we think it is harsh on those in society that struggle to make ends meet. 

We all follow Wednesday in our hearts. I disagree with many of them on a wide range of topics. But don't see any of them as lesser fans.

I find some attitudes and lack of compassion  from our own supporters toward others quite appalling if I'm honest. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Nailed on lowest crowd ever for a Sheff derby at Hillsborough, 32,000 (btw I've no idea what the lowest crowd is for a competitive game against the blunties is at ours) Unless we win our next three games playing breathtaking attacking football.. lolthen 38,802

24,804 in 1932. 

Folks didn't have much money then though. 

Year of the First National Hunger marches. 

57 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Nailed on lowest crowd ever for a Sheff derby at Hillsborough, 32,000 (btw I've no idea what the lowest crowd is for a competitive game against the blunties is at ours) Unless we win our next three games playing breathtaking attacking football.. lolthen 38,802

28,302 more like. :columbo:

There will be fans who go to games regardless of the price because that’s what they do. I’ll admit I can be one of those (for away games) but there comes a point when you should know better and know you’re being ripped off. 

I have a season ticket but you have to feel for the occasional fan, with those in question most likely having jobs and families to support. It comes down to them not being priced out of attending. We have a wealthy owner who wants a return on his investment and I totally understand that. I just hope, for DC's sake, that it works out.

4 hours ago, Chardron said:

Well the first quoted post says enough. Your view is that somebody is more of a fan because they prioritise a season ticket over other things.

I'd say they're fortunate to be able to prioritise a season ticket.

For a lot of people it isn't an option and you seem to think that, because those people HAVE NO CHOICE but to only attend a few games per season, they should be charged through the nose for a ticket. Punishment for not being a true fan.

What your ignorant view doesn't account for is other costs incurred for attending games, like my dad who has a circa 400 mile round trip to attend. It's only 42 quid though it'll be reyt. 

I really do not understand what you are rambling on about.

How can someone who sacrifices other things to enable them to watch Wednesday not be a more committed fan than someone who decides other things take priority. (and we are not talking about essentials like food and heating, the example used was subscribing to Sky).

An average Sky subscription is what ?  80 quid a month?  That equates to 960 quid a year. My season ticket was £450 on the Kop. If it was a choice between the two, it would be no contest. If someone chooses Sky over watching Wednesday, that clearly makes them a less committed fan than someone who decides to prioritise Wednesday over Sky. How can it not???

As for being fortunate to be able to prioritise a season ticket. Is it always 'fortunate' or is it through F*****n hard work. You probably missed the point i made (or deliberately ignored it), where i said i went through a period where i couldn't afford to go, never mind affording a season ticket. I couldn't afford maybe £30 quid (whatever it was at that time) and i couldn't afford it if it had been a tenner less. I couldn't afford it full stop. I didn't whinge about the cost, i didn't slag the club off, i accepted it was one of those things, maybe in these days of automatic entitlement, that point of view has no validity anymore. I want to do something, i can't afford to do it, but i should be ENTITLED to do it.

No one seems to want to come up with a figure as to what WOULD be acceptable and what would actually make the difference between someone who HAS NO CHOICE (as you put it) to only go now & again to someone who would start going regularly. Would say a ticket at £32 instead of £42 make THAT much difference in the wider scheme of things (and don't forget this is the top whack cat A pricing). 

As for my "ignorant view" about not understanding other 'costs incurred'. Are you the only person who has experienced this? 

My two sons regularly made the trip from Bournemouth & Durham respectively, using public transport, so far from having an ignorant view of that side of the argument. I am more than aware of the costs involved, but that is f**k all to do with SWFC. Also same argument again, if your dad's round trip cost £400.00 in total, would a £10 saving on the ticket price (that would reduce the round trip from £400 to £390 for example) really make that much difference. Seriously???

I feel sorry for people who genuinely have cut things to the bone already and still cannot afford to go and i know how they feel, but i have no sympathy for people who HAVE the choice but decide they will spend big bucks on other things but refuse or moan about spending what they consider a few quid over the odds on watching Wednesday.

No doubt an unpopular point I still reckon quite a number of the outraged on here are more interested in another reason to slag the club off and argue the social justice moral stance than it being an actual financial issue. 

5 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I really do not understand what you are rambling on about.

How can someone who sacrifices other things to enable them to watch Wednesday not be a more committed fan than someone who decides other things take priority. (and we are not talking about essentials like food and heating, the example used was subscribing to Sky).

An average Sky subscription is what ?  80 quid a month?  That equates to 960 quid a year. My season ticket was £450 on the Kop. If it was a choice between the two, it would be no contest. If someone chooses Sky over watching Wednesday, that clearly makes them a less committed fan than someone who decides to prioritise Wednesday over Sky. How can it not???

As for being fortunate to be able to prioritise a season ticket. Is it always 'fortunate' or is it through F*****n hard work. You probably missed the point i made (or deliberately ignored it), where i said i went through a period where i couldn't afford to go, never mind affording a season ticket. I couldn't afford maybe £30 quid (whatever it was at that time) and i couldn't afford it if it had been a tenner less. I couldn't afford it full stop. I didn't whinge about the cost, i didn't slag the club off, i accepted it was one of those things, maybe in these days of automatic entitlement, that point of view has no validity anymore. I want to do something, i can't afford to do it, but i should be ENTITLED to do it.

No one seems to want to come up with a figure as to what WOULD be acceptable and what would actually make the difference between someone who HAS NO CHOICE (as you put it) to only go now & again to someone who would start going regularly. Would say a ticket at £32 instead of £42 make THAT much difference in the wider scheme of things (and don't forget this is the top whack cat A pricing). 

As for my "ignorant view" about not understanding other 'costs incurred'. Are you the only person who has experienced this? 

My two sons regularly made the trip from Bournemouth & Durham respectively, using public transport, so far from having an ignorant view of that side of the argument. I am more than aware of the costs involved, but that is f**k all to do with SWFC. Also same argument again, if your dad's round trip cost £400.00 in total, would a £10 saving on the ticket price (that would reduce the round trip from £400 to £390 for example) really make that much difference. Seriously???

I feel sorry for people who genuinely have cut things to the bone already and still cannot afford to go and i know how they feel, but i have no sympathy for people who HAVE the choice but decide they will spend big bucks on other things but refuse or moan about spending what they consider a few quid over the odds on watching Wednesday.

No doubt an unpopular point I still reckon quite a number of the outraged on here are more interested in another reason to slag the club off and argue the social justice moral stance than it being an actual financial issue. 

I stopped reading when you insinuated that only people who can afford season tickets work hard. Another ignorant view.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

You come across as someone who seems to be singularly unable (whether you agree with it or not) to grasp the point i was making.

The main crux of my argument was exactly aimed at the typical emotional knee jerk reaction regarding football clubs being run as businesses and not some sort community drop in centres.  Also the clubs that are the leaders in Community activity (like Man City and Arsenal for instance are the ones where the finances have already been addressed and are therefore able to do it)

I'm sure it would have been a huge consolation to the people (including me) who "feel an emotional attachment to them", if we had gone into admin or out of business altogether because we weren't viable in that current form.

Your response in calling me a "tw@t".  Ps i love the "tw@t" bit coupled with "mate", is purely an emotional response and has no relevance in this particular argument.

Instead of diving in, playing the 'class war' angle when i had already stated "I aint well off by any stretch", just address the points i made.

Does it affect the majority of fans?  No it doesn't.

Is £37.00 extortionate in this day and age for a category A for 'pay on the day'?  Some will say yes others will maybe say no.

Is it right that people who commit upfront get a better deal than those that don't. I would say yes, others might disagree.

Is it slightly disingenuous to say £37 is the cheapest price, when kids (who make up quite a chunk i would think of 'pay on the day') are from memory without trawling back, £11.00. 

i asked the question what WOULD people see as a fair price and what would people see as the consequences of that price. We have moaned for years about having no ambition and not signing top players. Do you think this comes at a price or do you think other people should pay for it, or maybe you think the "people who can easily afford a season ticket" should subsidise the ones who can't or won't, because the last time i looked this was called taxation.

One last thing, in response to your jibe about not knowing what it's like to be skint and therefore not "empathising" with people who can't afford a season ticket. I've been there 'Mate' got the tee shirt and not only could i not afford a season ticket, i couldn't afford to 'pay on the day'.  Once things turned round a little, i sacrificed certain things and made watching Wednesday again my priority. 

My argument isn't about the 'unfairness of life' & 'social justice', it's about the harsh reality of modern businesses including football clubs. 

Apologies for calling you a tw@t - it was tongue in cheek.

I still think that you are also somewhat missing the point. I don't think you can reduce a football club down to a business whose product is to simply bought and sold. Neither should the club see the supporters as customers. Fans are the life of the club and if they are priced out then the club is eating itself. 

I don't think you can calculate how many people the heavy tickets prices effect by saying only a few thousand turn up and pay on the day. Surely it's how many don't turn up?

You seem to suggest that high prices is a prerequisite for a successful team and better players but I disagree. I don't have the time to work this out but I wonder what the correlation is between ticket prices and league position in the championship? As Huddersfield showed last season, it is possible to build a successful team with modest ticket prices. 

My worry is, like many others, is that if the club start to alienate fan with high prices for tickets, corporate boxes, shirts etc then they will slowly but surely start to erode any sense of goodwill that have been generated and we run the dangers of getting ourselves in a right old mess.

WAWAW

1 minute ago, owls101 said:

Apologies for calling you a tw@t - it was tongue in cheek.

I still think that you are also somewhat missing the point. I don't think you can reduce a football club down to a business whose product is to simply bought and sold. Neither should the club see the supporters as customers. Fans are the life of the club and if they are priced out then the club is eating itself. 

I don't think you can calculate how many people the heavy tickets prices effect by saying only a few thousand turn up and pay on the day. Surely it's how many don't turn up?

You seem to suggest that high prices is a prerequisite for a successful team and better players but I disagree. I don't have the time to work this out but I wonder what the correlation is between ticket prices and league position in the championship? As Huddersfield showed last season, it is possible to build a successful team with modest ticket prices. 

My worry is, like many others, is that if the club start to alienate fan with high prices for tickets, corporate boxes, shirts etc then they will slowly but surely start to erode any sense of goodwill that have been generated and we run the dangers of getting ourselves in a right old mess.

WAWAW

Yeah no problem mate and thanks for at least reading the post before responding.

It appears your powers of concentration are somewhat more focused than a certain other who seems to not like a reply have a flounce and stop reading!!!!

Regarding other clubs, i do hear what you're saying but i did say in another post that individual clubs all have difference circumstances and strategies at any given time, so what for instance Huddersfield or Birmingham or Villa are doing can be largely irrelevant to what DC sees as the way forward for us, even if it is relatively painful in the process. 

Your point about alienating people due to the prices is a genuine concern, but not really borne out by what we have seen since DC took over. 

The crowds have improved year on year as have season ticket take ups so maybe the 'feet on the ground' average Joe is less aggrieved than your aggrieved Moanstalker on here.

I would also like to think WAWAW, but not quite sure at the moment. 

Prices are too high..

Now you can go on forever about "If you had 2 less pints".... "Stop smoking".."When I couldn't afford it I did ..yadayadayada"

The point is..We are paying higher prices, because Mr Chansiri says more or less "Thats the way into the Prem"..., grin and bear it, those who can afford it..pay it..the rest are sort of holding on,

sitting on the bench sorta thing..sounds fair comment doesn't it?

Apart from the f.ookin' fact that its not actually happening...is it?

The club are now treating us as customers...all of a sudden folk are actually acting like customers and sayin' stuff like..."What the f.ook is this??"

Bound to sodding happen

The catering, the shirts, the results...Its not top notch stuff is it?...but lo and behold WE are actually paying top notch prices...Uniteds prices are way lower...Theyt are way higher in the league...How in the name of f.ook does that happen....?

It happens because thats football..and understanding football is not about swingeing prices on the gate to buy whoever the f.ook you want..Its buying the RIGHT players, organisation, and a plan going forward..

We don't seem to have one...We seem to have a very expensive set of bloody misfiring misfits at the minute..and charging some poor sod £40 to put it right is simply harnessing yer horse or golden Elephant behind the cart..or whateverthefook Golden Elephants push when they should be pulling

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

Yeah no problem mate and thanks for at least reading the post before responding.

It appears your powers of concentration are somewhat more focused than a certain other who seems to not like a reply have a flounce and stop reading!!!!

Regarding other clubs, i do hear what you're saying but i did say in another post that individual clubs all have difference circumstances and strategies at any given time, so what for instance Huddersfield or Birmingham or Villa are doing can be largely irrelevant to what DC sees as the way forward for us, even if it is relatively painful in the process. 

Your point about alienating people due to the prices is a genuine concern, but not really borne out by what we have seen since DC took over. 

The crowds have improved year on year as have season ticket take ups so maybe the 'feet on the ground' average Joe is less aggrieved than your aggrieved Moanstalker on here.

I would also like to think WAWAW, but not quite sure at the moment. 

Maybe we're not alienating people and stopping them going but as our esteemed and asteened friend says - charge top dollar you expect top quality. Tesco can't say they'll hike prices and turn into Harrods and then not expect grumbling if many of its services turn out to be more like Kwiksave. 

A lot of the people unhappy about things on here do attend, they are feet on the ground season ticket holders and have been loyal fans over many years. Treat us like customers and, given we can't take our custom elsewhere, drop a ball or two and there will be rumblings. Especially if what you do re prices and kits, for example, makes us the worst example of something we've complained about other clubs doing and goes against what many regard as well established club traditions. And people then come on here and slag United off for having more reasonably priced tickets than ours as though that's a bad thing. 

I've had misgivings about the Chansiri project from Day One - just as I had about Richards embroiling us with Charterhouse etc, that was the future once.

I don't buy the Wednesday is in his blood stuff, I don't see why years after he took over the commercial side of the club appears to be a shambles, the shop is a shambles, we're into September and there's no first team kit on sale never mind the special anniversary third kit. Richards was a hero once and in terms of silverware, league position and player acquisitions achieved a lot more than DC and we know how that finished up. And it pains me to see us hiking prices like we have when supporters' groups are saying twenty' plenty. 

I'm patient re on pitch stuff. Last season the football was boring but it's tough to criticise finishing fourth.  Buying your way to promotion is impossible to guarantee and all we can do is make best use of the resources we have. I'm not convinced we've done that and last season to me was a golden opportunity wasted given the play off opposition but it's always a bit of a lottery.

That's why the off-field stuff, which with a coherent sensible strategy is much easier to get right is so baffling.  He's a businessman not a football man but the business side has got to the stage where he's hoping 20k Sheffielders will loan him up to two grand a piece.

He's in this for himself not us. Our interests coincide in that his return on his investment depends on achieving our dream of getting promoted to the top division.  But he isn't a "football" man - if he was he wouldn't talk about deterring away fans and changing kits because of a personal whim.

All my own opinion and I understand why people do back him in everything he does. But there's enough other things going on to make doubting how this will end up a perfectly reasonable viewpoint too. DC owns Wednesday but he isn't Wednesday. 

Soz that was a bit boring if any of you actually toughed it out to the end. It was a bit like a never ending Lees to Loovens to Hutch to Lees to Loovens loop.