Joost Van Aken Signs - OFFICIAL

20 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Van Aken 23.

Vernancio 24.

If these signings are anything to go by, it may have finally clicked. 

You can't rush promotion. We need a team with youthful physical presence, a team we can turn upto Hillsborough and be proud of. (at the minute, we turn up to scrape a 1-0)

Signing young legs can win the team 10 yards on the pitch and that'll help get Rhodes 10 yards closer to the goal.

3-5-2 for the 10 year plan, patience everyone !

16 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Is that a good thing?

I don't know, just looked as I know it's the yardstick for some. Potential rating of 79 too

This news is now soooooo old in the quick moving transfer window.

Attention now switched to departures and the recruitment of a new midfielder.

Ps - Nixon, Staton and Howson to catch up eventually. Only Uncle Biggsy knows the true position. Will be interesting to see how we spend Grandad's £30million 

lol

Edited by theowlsman
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

This news is now soooooo old in the quick moving transfer window.

Attention now switched to departures and the recruitment of a new midfielder.

Ps - Nixon, Staton and Howson to catch up eventually. Only Uncle Biggsy knows the true position. Will be interesting to see how we spend Grandad's £30million 

lol

Biggs is waiting for his "sources" to confirm 

Or in other words he just flicks through Twitter seeing what he can claim he knows 

On 27/08/2017 at 14:34, StudentOwl said:

One of my obscure foreign names from 12 and 18 months ago!

Would be delighted if he came here, would be a proper next level signing. Can't seen it happening 

Can you tell us a bit more about him?

Is he a LB or CB?  Hopefully he'll get done in the air less than Fox/ Pudil.  Looks good in the obligatory YT video, good left peg - he could be our Philippe Albert!  Reckon he'll fill the gap that Vincent Sasso left in the 'one for the ladies' department too!

1 hour ago, bigash_swfc said:

Van Aken 23.

Vernancio 24.

If these signings are anything to go by, it may have finally clicked. 

You can't rush promotion. We need a team with youthful physical presence, a team we can turn upto Hillsborough and be proud of. (at the minute, we turn up to scrape a 1-0)

Signing young legs can win the team 10 yards on the pitch and that'll help get Rhodes 10 yards closer to the goal.

Speaks some sense this lad, completely  agree. 

21 minutes ago, ramone said:

Can you tell us a bit more about him?

I mean most of the information I know is googleable so I can't really give you much novel info, but:

Left footed CB... people saying he can play LB... not really, lacks a full backs turn of pace and certainly in our squad he won't be able to get up and down as required. Very much a "could do a job" than someone who could replace Fox or Pudil at LB. That said, comfortable bringing the ball out. Fairly dominant in the air (though it is Holland so maybe doesn't have to deal with as aggressive a forward) and he's got a footballing brain and calmness about 5 years beyond what his actual age is. I rated Sasso, but if Sasso was a 5/10 this lad is about an 8... classic continental defender who does the business. If the 5€ million is true, then it's cracking business- I really can't see anyone else partnering Lees for the foreseeable future other than Van Aken if we get him through the door and his value will double after 12 months in English footie. 

Just now, SiJ said:

How many times have you seen him play? 

What, over the last 3/4 years? Couldn't tell ya... 6, 8? Not many, enough to form some nucleus of an opinion without much depth of insight.

I remember trawling through soccerway a couple of years ago and clocking that Heerenveen had some teenage CB called Van Aken that had pretty much been omnipresent that season, so I clocked the name and on rare occasions I saw Heerenveen on the box I'd go "oh that's that bloke". I wish it were a more riveting story than that. 

47 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Can he defend against physical forwards? Dutch football isn't known for that 

Not a clue mate, I can't say I've paid that much attention. Don't think I've ever seen him bullied per se by a striker, but as you say, Dutch league is hardly known for its physicality. I just know that if he looks as class in the Championship as he has in the Eredivisie, then we've got the perfect partner for Lees and two class CB's in their 20s for the foreseeable future

@Oliver Readis going to be far better informed than I 

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

What, over the last 3/4 years? Couldn't tell ya... 6, 8? Not many, enough to form some nucleus of an opinion without much depth of insight.

I remember trawling through soccerway a couple of years ago and clocking that Heerenveen had some teenage CB called Van Aken that had pretty much been omnipresent that season, so I clocked the name and on rare occasions I saw Heerenveen on the box I'd go "oh that's that bloke". I wish it were a more riveting story than that. 

He wasn't a teenager a couple of years ago.

• Haha 2