OFFICIAL MATCHDAY THREAD - BURTON 1 : 1 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Well that's put the fear of god in to me!! So much so that I have taken it upon myself to rally the Hobbits and the Elves of Middle Earth just in case those Demons do indeed emerge from the earths crust. 

We are ready for battle!!!! But better still an away win and then we can go back to drinking ale in the Green Dragon, down the road in Hobbiton. Everyone's a winner.

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 2

Guest Wonder Spaniel

Excellent OMDT Lord S'. 

Its going to be a physical battle today at the Pirelli. Could do with getting Conor McGregor in the dressing room for a pre match team talk to get them riled up! 

1-0 Wednesday would do nicely. 

5 hours ago, pauli said:

Burton also invented the snowboard, which helps you get to the pub that doesn't sell Stones bitter really quickly in bitter weather.

Not sure many on here will understand the Burton Snowboards fact, I for one did though .

Come on Wednesday!!

Great OMDT.  Very thought provoking on the subject of beer!  I totally agree about missing the decent beers - Stones and Wards - and am constantly amazed by the poor quality stuff we get served now that we are supposed to find attractive because it is different and from a micro-brewery.  OK the tyranny of the old brewery monopolies had its down side, but now we just have a tyranny of a different kind - still no genuine choice in most pubs......But whether any of these memories and issues are going to be useful in motivating the current squad? - Probably not.  If you tell them that we used to drink Stones, half of them would probably ask which quarry we got them from.  

Desperate for a win today having traveled to Bolton and been left Catatonic when we were 3-0 down.  Hopefully we will have Fletcher and Hooper up front to bury a few.....even if motivated by thoughts of goal bonuses rather than righting the wrongs of past brewery wars!

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

In 1948 Edward "Ted" Collins first produced Stones Bitter at the Cannon Brewery. Ted ( a true master brewer , not some boy with a top-knot, a beard , sleeve tattoos and too much citrus fruit and time on his hands like most modern brewers)   designed his ale for the steelworkers of Sheffield's Lower Don Valley. The product was formulated as the working classes began to favour bitter over the dark mild style of beer. The beer's straw colour made it reasonably unusual for the time, and its lighter density meant it could be quaffed. Its individuality helped it to become an immediate success. By the 1960s its local reputation was "colossal" and it was described in the The Star as “Not so much Beer, as religion”

Image result for stones bitter

Stones bitter was the fuel that forged the steel. It was the fuel that built the modern world! And they….they  took it from us.  They took it from us, and then…. Then! They reduced our Jungle Juice from 4.1%AVB to 3.7&AVB and thought we wouldn’t notice!  They started making it with their own filthy non-Yorkshire water. 

In 1992 Stones was the United Kingdoms's highest selling bitter, a million barrel a year were sold. 

Now it’s hardly seen.  It is nothing but a nobody in an old mans  eye.  The people of our City are having to drink “handcrafted” wee wee-water made by a kids with  2:2’s in P.E , a masters in party planning who infuriatingly over use  the word “Artisan” to describe basic stuff, Like a loaf of bloody bread. 

These same people are responsible for the contrived re-imagining and trendification of Hendersons Relish to the  stomach churning “Hendos”. They are b’astardising our culture and claiming it for their own. 

It won’t be long till some estuary accented youth asks you, in all seriousness, if you have ever heard about this new thing called “Football”.   Yes you, the Sons and daughters of the birthplace of the game.  The World is changing, and they are trying to change our history too. Don’t let them! Reclaim your own history, your own heritage from these cultural marauders.  The very fabric of our existence is being torn apart and reimagined.

Now I’m not saying that any of this is the fault of Burton Albion, as such . I’m not saying we should blame them for the post- historical cleansing of our memories.  But someone has to take the blame! And why not them! It all started with us losing that cornerstone of this Cities existence to their town 

If this sad sight doesn’t fire you to roar the boys to success today. Nothing will.

Image may contain: outdoor

Come on Wednesday!

Forget the football this is my family history. My Grandad worked at the Stones Brewery from the1920's and for a while my Dad followed him in his early working life before crossing over the road to work in the foundry with the men that the beer was brewed for.  So come on lads and stick it up em in the memory of my family. 

Edited by Mickjj

Stones was still one of the regular choices for cheap cans in the park when I was 16 in the mid-90s. To be fair it tastes like a mouthful of 2p pieces but gi' it back anyway.

3-1 Wednesday - Rhodes, Boyd and another Jones screamer (someone needs to let him start taking a few direct free kicks, can't believe we've not made the most of his cracking dead ball left peg yet).

Edited by Mr. Tom

The one redeeming feature of Stones bitter was that it was not Wards - the latter tasted as vile as the team it once sponsored.

Stones was also the Stella of its day turning rational capable men into gibbering wrecks. I remember it taking 5 goes to get my Step Dad up the stairs after a wedding session.

Once you had discovered Theakston breweries then Sheffield beers were quickly discarded

Burton are no mugs, but have players missing and potentially Irvine on the brink of a move away. Situations like this usualky result in a nailed on home win when we are involved.

That said, strangely optimistic, hope we have learned from the inept performance in our defeat last year. All depends if our expensively assembled team of experienced players turn up in the second half.

Burton 0-2 Wednesday 

Rhodes, someone  else 

We will win today thats all . 

My prediction .

0-2  Fletcher Reach 

FF on the Bench 

Vernacio on the Bench 

Lee Bench 

Abdi not in the squad . 

Play up The Wednesday .

Ps 

I was literally brought up on Stones , My parents had a Off licence with a Beer engine and folk would bring their jugs round for a take out .