Jones - the enigma

It'll be interesting when the favourites are all fit. If we continue to pick up wins and perform well with Jones in midfield then it wont be possible to drop him. As we have seen in recent times a midfield containing Wallace Bannan Lee and Hutchinson isnt good enough for top 2. Bannan is performing well at the moment so justifies his selection. Reach has found some confidence and also justifies his selection. However six into two doesnt go and that doesn't take into account Hooper and Forestieri. Who Carlos gives the nod to will have to be performing exceptionally well.

Plays 15 yards higher up the pitch and brings the best out in BB, which Hutch doesn't appear to do. 

I think the problem is that some expect him to be a defensive midfielder and he's not. He's a deep lying midfielder but he's not so deep that he's sat on our centre halfs lap. He couldn't tackle to save his life but gets himself in good positions to break down play. I think he's alright and CC has a big decision once Hutch and Lee are fit. Hopefully he doesn't revert to type like the play off games

Jones is a proper, experienced central midfielder. He moves the ball simply but also quickly. 

After the way Bannan and Jones played against Rangers, where they couldn't cope with Rangers athletic approach, I wasn't surprised that Carlos picked Hutch at Preston. It was probably nonsense to do so as Hutch was obviously not fit and the midfield failed to function at all.

Jones deserves to keep his place after his games against Sunderland and Fulham.

Burton will be a different type of test though. They will pressure us and make it a more physical confrontation. 

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Jones is a proper, experienced central midfielder. He moves the ball simply but also quickly. 

After the way Bannan and Jones played against Rangers, where they couldn't cope with Rangers athletic approach, I wasn't surprised that Carlos picked Hutch at Preston. It was probably nonsense to do so as Hutch was obviously not fit and the midfield failed to function at all.

Jones deserves to keep his place after his games against Sunderland and Fulham.

Burton will be a different type of test though. They will pressure us and make it a more physical confrontation. 

It's interesting that you say that.

Fulham certainly bombed on at us and for all their chances didn't really threaten.

I've watched Burton's games too.

They aren't frightened about committing into the box.

Imo we need to defend high up the field.

28 minutes ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Plays 15 yards higher up the pitch and brings the best out in BB, which Hutch doesn't appear to do. 

I think the problem is that some expect him to be a defensive midfielder and he's not. He's a deep lying midfielder but he's not so deep that he's sat on our centre halfs lap. He couldn't tackle to save his life but gets himself in good positions to break down play. I think he's alright and CC has a big decision once Hutch and Lee are fit. Hopefully he doesn't revert to type like the play off games

11 hours ago, Blatter said:

Jones looks awkward in possession, usually playing the safe sideways or backward pass.

What he does though is to play the holding midfield position that important few metres higher up the pitch.

Hutchinson by comparison tends to drop deeper almost into defence making Bannan isolated unless he also drops deep to obtain the ball

Don't think its coincidence that Bannan looks a better player with Jones in the team.

Hutch needs to take this on board when he is fit and Carlos puts him straight back in the team lol

Jones seems to be playing the ball quicker and attempting more forward balls and longer passes this season. If I'm right maybe it is something that Hutch will also attempt when he is fit. Pudil's willingness to bring the ball out also helps us move the ball forwards quicker.

It might be that it is something they are working on in training and that the penny has finally dropped with Carlos too.

Just now, Costello 77 said:

It's interesting that you say that.

Fulham certainly bombed on at us and for all their chances didn't really threaten.

I've watched Burton's games too.

They aren't frightened about committing into the box.

Imo we need to defend high up the field.

I didn't go to Fulham .

Last season at their place they pushed on at pace and played football on the deck. I assumed they still play that way.

We always do well against footballing sides. Carlos is brilliant at setting us up against those type of teams. 

Burton will be different. They can play a bit but also make it a battle.

They get the ball forward and then compete hard for second balls and to win tackles.  This is when we struggle in centre midfield . We don't win tackles and second balls

I think we do need to defend high up the pitch or we might struggle to get out like we did at Preston .

They have two quick wingers in Dyer and Atkins and our full backs will be key. Just signed Sean Scannell as well

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I didn't go to Fulham .

Last season at their place they pushed on at pace and played football on the deck. I assumed they still play that way.

We always do well against footballing sides. Carlos is brilliant at setting us up against those type of teams. 

Burton will be different. They can play a bit but also make it a battle.

They get the ball forward and then compete hard for second balls and to win tackles.  This is when we struggle in centre midfield . We don't win tackles and second balls

I think we do need to defend high up the pitch or we might struggle to get out like we did at Preston .

They have two quick wingers in Dyer and Atkins and our full backs will be key. Just signed Sean Scannell as well

Full backs will be the key in this fixture for sure.

They need to be taking the tackle on their wingers higher up the field..and just defend. Nip their attacks in the bud somewhere near the halfway line.

Let (I hope) the back three cover.

It's sounds crazy to be defensive against Burton, but they're fit, organised and motivated.

On 20/08/2017 at 10:59, Wednesday_Jack said:

Had you been on the bong at HT...he was dreadful throughout!! Just about rescued his performance with his goal. 

Think it must have been you on the bong,  first half hour he was poor but improved steadily after that and finished with a wonder goal.

1 hour ago, Corneliusreeve said:

Think it must have been you on the bong,  first half hour he was poor but improved steadily after that and finished with a wonder goal.

Oh dear...another person who doesn't really understand the game of football and is blinded by "nice goals". Jones probably scored a 6 with his goal, take that away and he would have probably scored 4!!

Steadily improved is a term i would have used loosely, he couldn't possibly get any worse so a successful 10 yard pass was an improvement!!

1 hour ago, Corneliusreeve said:

I thought he was abysmal until the goal. Then bang average after that. 

Also poor against QPR, who strolled through our midfield at will in the first half. 

On 8/20/2017 at 10:18, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Wigan away

Villa away

Reading home

Burton home

Preston away

Probably our 5 worst performances of 2017.

All with Bannan/Jones as our midfield pairing.

Look at this guy - cant be positive for bobbar. 

You're boring

Edited by ramone

On 8/20/2017 at 18:09, Rentaghost said:

He's very steady and usually doesn't make many mistakes. 

He had a spell Wednesday where he gave ball away a few times, but he didnt hide away after the mistakes and still looked to get on the ball and move things. 

The goal is exactly what he needed as some fans got on his back after giving the ball away with the poor passing. 

He isn't as fast as hutch and he doesn't run round like a head less chicken with a fire cracker up his back side, He also won't fly into tackles in areas that he doesn't need to, but people will think Hutchinson is more effective because he appears more committed. 

To be honest, and it's probably proven by yesterday, but Hutchinson and ff not being in the side actually gives us better balance and makes us a better team. Jones has been a major part of that. 

He isn't as fast as Norah Batty - but tactically very astute in terms of defensive positioning.  Oppo midfielders strikers are clearly targeting him in possession due to his relatively poor mobility but he usually has the nous to get out of it.  I wouldn't mind sideways passing if it were to someone like Antonio or Matt Phillips who want to run at defenders.  Unfortunately our sideways passes result in another zimmer framer having to cut back from not being able to skin a man for pace.

I got slated for rating him the other day. I think he does his job well without being an eyecatcher. Very rarely shows off or tries to look like a world beater just keeps play moving smoothly for us and tidies up the mess when our creative players don't quite get it right. He seems to give players like Bannan and the wingers the confidence to know they can strut their stuff and turn on the style. If he was a comedian in an old 70s double act he would be Ernie Wise, the straight man that just keep setting them up.

I don't know about Potter to Pogba, but he went from being a big fans favourite to donkey according to a chunk of Owlstalk, the second he joined the Owls.

Like I said the other day, Kieren Lee went a while under the radar before the knockers realised exactly what he did, hopefully if Jones can keep his fitness, he will get even better and get the same kind of accolades.

keep it up Jonesy, they don't like it up 'em!