Jones - the enigma

15 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Full backs will be the key in this fixture for sure.

They need to be taking the tackle on their wingers higher up the field..and just defend. Nip their attacks in the bud somewhere near the halfway line.

Let (I hope) the back three cover.

It's sounds crazy to be defensive against Burton, but they're fit, organised and motivated.

Hope we stick with Hooper and Fletcher up top too maybe Hoops hasn't scored yet but he's getting closer and looked more of a threat than Nando, Dave, or Rhodes. As you say it'll be a bit of a battle like Preston and they are capable of mixing it up physically and are beginning to get a partnership/understanding now,so definitely wouldn't change things and play Nando and Rhodes though I'd like to see Sam on the bench. 

Just a few tweets from Burnley fans sad to see Dave Jones go.

Anyone who didnt rate Jones are blind to the reason we went up, automatically, x2 #SheffieldWednesday have signed quality. #twitterclarets

Good luck David Jones a vital cog in midfield over 3 years under appreciated by many will be missed #twitterclaretshttps://twitter.com/fordyfoureyes/status/765508654720245764 

All the best to David Jones, vastly underrated by those who know little about the value of a good midfielder #twitterclarets

Jones has been crucial in 2 promotions, didn't have many bad games. Can only presume another cm is being lined up #twitterclarets

Gutted about David Jones. Been an incredible servant to the club on and off the pitch and knew what it meant to the fans. #twitterclarets

Sad to see David Jones leave for Sheffield Wed, central (literally) to all our success the last few years. Good luck to him! #twitterclarets

David Jones is a superb footballer. Key in our 2 most successful teams of the last 30 years. Hope we know what we're doing. #twitterclarets

Can't understand selling Jones. First team regular for past 2-3 seasons? Madness. Brilliant at retaining possession#twitterclarets

Gutted Jones had gone, came under some harsh criticism last year despite holding the midfield together for half a season #twitterclarets

David Jones going from my team #twitterclarets to my local lot #swfc, so I believe. Absolute class and may secure the Owls that promotion.

I didnt go on Saturday but by all accounts he played well and i`m glad he did and i hope he keeps it up, but that doesnt erase the memory of many more displays over the past year that have been soporific.

My view is based on the last 12 months and there is a long way to go for me to be convinced,  but what is hilarious is the "one good display and hes brilliant" and vice versa posters on here its like they have the memory of a goldfish............oh look a castle.....................oh look a castle.

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Oh dear...another person who doesn't really understand the game of football and is blinded by "nice goals". Jones probably scored a 6 with his goal, take that away and he would have probably scored 4!!

Steadily improved is a term i would have used loosely, he couldn't possibly get any worse so a successful 10 yard pass was an improvement!!

Hahahahaha, apparently he's blinded by 'nice goals' yet you've increased your rating by 2 on the basis of said 'nice goal'

:duntmatter:

Edited by Ash76

12 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I didnt go on Saturday but by all accounts he played well and i`m glad he did and i hope he keeps it up, but that doesnt erase the memory of many more displays over the past year that have been soporific.

My view is based on the last 12 months and there is a long way to go for me to be convinced,  but what is hilarious is the "one good display and hes brilliant" and vice versa posters on here its like they have the memory of a goldfish............oh look a castle.....................oh look a castle.

You have to go back nine games to the last time he played and we lost. Five wins and three draws since.

6 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Hahahahaha, apparently he's blinded by 'nice goals' yet you've increased your rating by 2 on the basis of said 'nice goal'

Yes it was a very good goal that rescued a point, whats your point? Thats how rating works...the better you play the higher you score, pretty simple. As my point states even with a goal against his name he was still the worst player in a Wednesday shirt.

I like Jones and i like them kind of players. I think he is getting better with games but that particular game he was poor and he didn't improve he gave the ball away so many times and his passing was well below par. 

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I thought he was abysmal until the goal. Then bang average after that. 

Also poor against QPR, who strolled through our midfield at will in the first half. 

Not sure about the second point as i didn't go, i was away but your first point is bang on and that's the point i am making.

Some people would have honestly given him MOTM for his goal alone and not even recognised the fact that for the other 92 minutes he was the worst player on the pitch. He was abysmal but came away with an average rating because he smashed it in the top corner from 30 yards...end of.  

3 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Oh dear...another person who doesn't really understand the game of football and is blinded by "nice goals". Jones probably scored a 6 with his goal, take that away and he would have probably scored 4!!

Steadily improved is a term i would have used loosely, he couldn't possibly get any worse so a successful 10 yard pass was an improvement!!

I don't understand football?  

I guess the saying "you can't educate pork" is true in your case.

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Yes it was a very good goal that rescued a point, whats your point? Thats how rating works...the better you play the higher you score, pretty simple. As my point states even with a goal against his name he was still the worst player in a Wednesday shirt.

I like Jones and i like them kind of players. I think he is getting better with games but that particular game he was poor and he didn't improve he gave the ball away so many times and his passing was well below par. 

I think the phrase I'm looking for is "eyes painted on".

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/12713/Show/David-Jones

Edited by F. Spiksley

Don't think he's been especially good or bad. It's a thankless task that role he plays. It seems to me that most of the time his job is to keep possession and help the centre backs advance up the pitch while we've got the ball. He doesn't make many heroic tackles, assists or score many goals so doesn't get the chance to stand out. He's given the ball away a bit (not on his own there) but he's doing ok and it's not like there's anyone else to take over at the minute.

David Jones is a very good player who is underrated. All our other centre midfielders are technically better players but I would suggest that Jones plays the role of a midfielder in a 2 better than any of the other 4 players we have. He is unspectacular but he is an intelligent player who has good discipline and he is always in the right position in the midfield.

I think all our other 4 midfielders are suited to playing in a midfield 3.

1 hour ago, Corneliusreeve said:

And this was all DJ's fault, was it.

No I'm not saying that. More Carlos' fault for playing such a weak midfield pairing.

Bannan/Jones is a weak midfield pairing in the championship. And that's not a criticism of those 2 as individuals, (Jones is a steady eddie and Bannan's class on his day), we just need much more in the engine room if we want to challenge imo.

I hate watching us in a 442 with that midfield. Apart from Newcastle at home, you'll struggle to find any really good performances anyway. Not saying we can't still scrape wins here and there, as we proved at the end of last season and Saturday, but look back at some of our worst performances from 2017 and there's a common theme. 

On 20/08/2017 at 11:18, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Wigan away

Villa away

Reading home

Burton home

Preston away

Probably our 5 worst performances of 2017.

All with Bannan/Jones as our midfield pairing.

Reading home wasn't a bad performance. Al Habsi kept them in it. 

Wigan away 3 points, Burton home and Preston away both got points. 

That leaves Villa away where it didn't work.

I could highlight a number of bad performances with Hutch in the middle. Including three of the most important matches in our history. 

24 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

No I'm not saying that. More Carlos' fault for playing such a weak midfield pairing.

Bannan/Jones is a weak midfield pairing in the championship. And that's not a criticism of those 2 as individuals, (Jones is a steady eddie and Bannan's class on his day), we just need much more in the engine room if we want to challenge imo.

I hate watching us in a 442 with that midfield. Apart from Newcastle at home, you'll struggle to find any really good performances anyway. Not saying we can't still scrape wins here and there, as we proved at the end of last season and Saturday, but look back at some of our worst performances from 2017 and there's a common theme. 

Bannan and Lee is a weak partnership

26 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

lol

It worked against Sunderland and Fulham if we want to look at the present. Face it Hutch for all his effort hinders us in the middle, I know you don't like it but it's true.