Jones - the enigma

13 minutes ago, LiamAP22D said:

This thread is hilarious lol Some so bitter towards Jones, they're some of the same ones licking the ass of FF? Confusing.

I'm sure our two biggest winning runs came last season when Hutchinson was out. I'm not going check it up and research it because I don't care enough but I am sure that's the case.

As much as I love Hutch (as a centre half), didn't we also have a brilliant run of form that took us to Wembley without him in the team, where we totally lost our shape in the final when Hutch was brought back into midfield, isolating Bannan out on the wing and effectively cutting off the supply to FF and Hooper?

I strongly believe that would have been a totally different game with Jones in midfield, because he understands how to play in there, having played in midfield since he was a ten year old back with Manchester United. Jones is a ball playing, holding midfielder, who breaks up play at one end and helps to redistribute play to the other end with the minimum of fuss. He may not be as mobile as he once was, but I rarely watch Dave Jones play and think that either he, or somebody he tackles, is likely to come off on a stretcher (or get red carded).

If Tom Lees was out injured, or we decided to play three centre halves, I would not hesitate to play Hutch on the right side, because again, that is where he has always played and plays best (in my opinion), facing the ball and his opponent. Hutch looks far more at home there, but as a midfielder at the bottom of the Diamond, he would only get first choice for me over Jones in one, maybe two games a season when a certain job needs doing on the opposition. Hopefully we are now better equipped squad wise, to impose our style of play on most of the opposition and only have to resort to the rough stuff if the going gets really tough with injuries and key players are missing. 

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Given the recent eight game unbeaten record of Jones-Bannan, would you drop Jones for Hutch as soon as he is fit?

Just to be clear, comparing with this eight game run...

Jones - Won 5 Drawn 3

Hutch - Won 3 Drawn 1 Lost 4

I'm not sure many managers would break up a key partnership in the middle of such a strong run.....sadly I do know one.

:duntmatter:

Seriously you should be a politician with all the dodging and changing the goal posts you do.

Literally no point debating with you as you only see what you want to see.

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

:duntmatter:

Seriously you should be a politician with all the dodging and changing the goal posts you do.

Literally no point debating with you as you only see what you want to see.

This post could avoid the need for sij's shuttle diplomacy.

Could this be peace in our time?WTF:

23 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

This stat tells you everything you need to know.

Jones is the type of player that is loved by managers but will always be underappreciated by fans. He is not a pretty footballer and never does anything that stands out ( last weeks goal aside!). But he does the little things so effectively, mops everything up, rarely gives it away and most importantly gives the more creative players the freedom to concentrate on what they do best. Often when he’s playing you hardly notice him but when he’s not in the team you suddenly realise what you’ve been missing.

Yes exactly that. In a different style, but a similar way to Lee, who only really started to grab everybody's attention when he started to add goals to his repertoire. I would really love to see Jones at the base of the diamond with Lee right side, Bannan left side and Abdi or Forestieri at the tip of the diamond, if all were fully fit and then we could really go to work on teams in so many different ways. Unfortunately at the moment Lee is still crocked and Abdi is not fully fit, Forestieri is playing up again, which only leaves Jones and Bannan looking something like the finished article and unlike most of our midfield players, Jones can fit in with pretty much any system you choose to play and if his 4 promotions to the premiership tell you anything, then it has to be that he plays pretty well with whoever you throw him in with and helps make the team play effectively.

I think he is a huge asset to the team, but can see why the star seekers don't get too excited by him. It doesn't matter, though because as you rightly say, the manager knows what he does and that is what really matters. 

6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

This post could avoid the need for sij's shuttle diplomacy.

Could this be peace in our time?WTF:

Do you remember the Viz "Celebrities in the toilet" cartoons?

My favourite was Chamberlain saying from within the locked cubicle "I have in my hand a piece of paper". Still makes me laugh now but my kids think me childish.

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Do you remember the Viz "Celebrities in the toilet" cartoons?

My favourite was Chamberlain saying from within the locked cubicle "I have in my hand a piece of paper". Still makes me laugh now but my kids think me childish.

Yes I do.

Mrs C gets me a subscription every birthday.

Funnily enough C junior laughed at Viz more when he was seven...ten years later... nothing.

39 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Yes I do.

Mrs C gets me a subscription every birthday.

Funnily enough C junior laughed at Viz more when he was seven...ten years later... nothing.

I can only remember two others from the "...in the toilet"

One was Magnus Magnusson "I've started so I'll finish"

The other was Rolf with "Can you tell what it is yet?" 

Must have been more.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I can only remember two others from the "...in the toilet"

One was Magnus Magnusson "I've started so I'll finish"

The other was Rolf with "Can you tell what it is yet?" 

Must have been more.

I'll have a look when I get back.