OFFICIAL Sheffield Wednesday V Sunderland Match Day Thread

A very good evening to all of you, especially to Enchanter and Mi'Lud with the best collaboration the world has witnessed since Freddie Mercury and David Bowie bumped into each other in a studio. 

Sadly can't be in attendance tonight as National Rail haven't yet heeded my request to lay on a personal train for me to transport me home after the end of the game, they seem to think it's acceptable to have the last train from Sheffield to Edinburgh at 7:20. Pah! I'm making do with a screening of Baby Driver instead, I've heard it's very good but I fear I may end up sitting there fretting about our score and taking very little of it in.

Anyway this just means all you lucky buggers going along tonight will have to sing up just that little bit louder. And we might need it because I've not got a good feeling about this one.  

I was on second team duty last night watching Bradford Park Avenue lose 3-0 Spennymoor Town (we conceded 3 goals in 3 minutes, God it was dire) and got chatting to a friendly Sunderland fan who will be going tonight. He seemed fairly confident and highly rated their performances so far this season. The problem is our performances have been nowhere near the required standard, even to get a point tonight we're going to have to up our game considerably, and with the team so badly hit by injuries already and a nasty atmosphere pervading that's going to be a big ask. 

Tactically, Sunderland may make this game a more straight up game where two 4-4-2s clash and the side whose players give just that little bit more and take their chances will come out on top. However, they also have the flexibility to switch into a 4-2-3-1 with Cattermole and Ndong anchoring the midfield, a barrier which would be very difficult to break down. A little flexibility on our part has been necessary for a while and it would be nice to see some tonight in order to gain an advantage - not that I see it happening.

Anyway, before the game eternal optimism is a must so COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Wednesday 1-1 Sunderland 

(Bannan 25, Grabban 88)