OFFICIAL Sheffield Wednesday V Sunderland Match Day Thread

Battle of the sexy surprised Owls vs the creepy surprised Cats

Related imageImage result for funny sunderland badge

Today's opponents

Sunderland, who have the misfortune to play in red and white stripes, affectionately refer to each other as 'marra'. Although, to the outsider of which there are many, this appears to be merely a colloquial term it is in fact a hark back to Sunderland's smoke filled heavy industrial days when the area, which hadn't yet bid for City of Culture status, was renowned the world over for the impressive size and girth of its prize marrows. It's major rivals throughout history were the smog monsters of Middlesbrough and the Fog on the tynes of Newcastle. Archaeology shows that all three were regularly involved in violent feuds across the north east that would could only be settled by a prize growing marrow competition. History remembers one particularly baron year when all three areas were relegated to the amateur gardeners division which was eventually won by Hartlepool United who stole the show with a measly 4.45 inch marrow beating the nearest competition by an inch and a finger. Nowadays Sunderland regularly disappoints with the size of its prize marrows but the club is determined to stick to its industrial roots and organically grow the club back up to compete at the top level of competition. The surprised cat mascot is symbolic of the response that the locals have to the underwhelming size of its marrows. 

Image result for marrow

Matchday food. North stand, nothing. Everywhere else marrow pie. 

Matchday drink. High percentage lager beer. 

Matchday attire. Best clobber, no lime pickle everlast jackets. 

Matchfacts

• Sheffield Wednesday have only recorded one victory against Sunderland at Hillsborough in their last six league contests (D1 L4), conceding 12 goals at a rate of two per game.

• The creepy surprised Black Cats have only lost one of their last 12 league encounters with the Owls (W8 D3), winning each of the last four.

• Simon Grayson, who had a loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday in 2000 and has since lost all his scalp hair has lost three of his four managerial visits to Hillsborough - including losing the last two - with the exception a 3-1 win as Huddersfield boss in September 2012.

• Fernando Forestieri, who regularly adopts the southpaw stance, has been involved in 38 goals for Sheffield Wednesday in all competitions since the start of 2015-16 (27 goals, 11 assists); 10 more than any other Owls player in this period.

• Lewis Grabban, who's beard is made from Simon Grayson's abandoned hair scored his first brace in league football since February 2015 against his former employers Norwich City in Sunderland's victory on Sunday.

Lets do this COME ON BABY ENOUGH WITH THOSE NEGATIVE WAVES!

Image result for oddball NEGATIVE WAVES

Image result for oddball GIF

Edited by TheEnchanter
  • Like 3

So here we are.  Two games in , one point on the board. Fernando dramas are keeping the local hacks busy, the manager is getting hammered, the Chairman is selling seat plaques to raise a few bob and rumours abound that despite this and the alarm bells it raises about FFP that we have had a bid of £6m knocked back for a centre half.  The fans (and I use that word specifically because supporters support fans are fanatics)  are in meltdown for both of those reasons and many more. Reasons which also include not only how bad the season is going. But how bad we are as fans.  
Even poor old Nuhiu is getting hammered. This time for not evening getting on the pitch but for having the temerity to work hard in training and get a place on the bench. 
No one has a facking clue whats happening and it’s only the second home match if the league season.

The only person who isn’t going doolally is our Omnipotent Leader Neil, who no longer has to create nutjob characters to start nutjob threads because real people are doing it themselves, by turning into Nutjobs.

And so…

It is against this back drop that we face a Sunderland side at Hillsborough this evening under the stewardship of hooked nose Leeds villain Simon Grayson.  
The Black Cats have made a decent start to the season getting a point off Derby and beating Norwich comfortably despite the tight looking score line. 

Sunderland have only lost to us once in the last 12 league games.  So all in all it looks a pretty dismal night in store. ..

Now I’m not going to bang on about how I’d do things to put to an end the hangover of last season. How I’d get our talented but so far uncreative midfield firing and strangle hold my way to the League Championship title. There’s no point. 
Oh, ok I will. I’d bloody well do this and would have done since Stuart Gray was in charge. 

But I digress.
Carlos will go 4-4-2. We know it and Sunderland know it. 
Can it get us a result tonight?
Well, actually maybe it will!
Get that man some smelling salts!

I’ll tell you why… because in what I am sure will be an absolute rarity this season ….our midfield pairing won’t be outnumbered 3 versus 2. 
Hurrah!

But how you ask?

IS Carlos going to play one of our 432 strikers in midfield?
No. Much simpler!

Because Sunderland themselves have been playing a 4-4- bloody 2. That’s why!

Without the need for them to tuck in and help out tackling and tracking that extra pesky man in the middle that most teams have, the likes of Wallace and Reach (or FF if asked ever so politely) will be able to concentrate on picking up their own man and…dare I say it…ok I’ll whisper it….might find the chance to stay out wide and do some attacking!!  
You boy, stop masturbating at the back, it’s not set in stone yet , I said might be able to attack. 

Sunderland have played the same side twice in the League.  So this is what they will 99% line up like.

As for Wednesday. Who knows. It’s like the combined extras of Casualty, Emergency Ward 10, Angels, and Holby City in the physio room. It’s anyones guess. But it will be 4-4-2!!

No automatic alt text available.

Anyway….

An old school English Championship game,  two teams of 4-4-2 going at in one of Englands greatest traditional Stadiums. 

This is The Wednesday on a cool evening in the Steel City.

The drizzle will be shimmering (I haven’t checked the forecast but bear with me on the artistic licence)  through the floodlights at the original theatre of dreams (FA literature for 1966 World Cup) . The Wednesday  Kop an Alp of Humanity (Patrick Barclay ©) will roar the players to the field and crescendo before kick off. or should !!

We can turn this season on its head by getting behind the lads like never before.

It’s all well and good going barmy army mental when we surged to Wembley when we had a dream. That’s easy.

But those lads down there on the pitch. They need us now.

They need us more than ever before.  

We’ve got to get them through this tough spell.  

We can make a difference.

God Damn it! I might even sing myself instead of clapping my hand in muffled silence against because my tartan blanket is cushioning it. 
COME ON WEDNESDAY!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

An hour late to the minute, but if you register you have the job for the season. Must be able to affix rockets up Taylor skirt though !

I want to make the point that this is an openly Tay Tay zone and that anyone can include her beautiful face into this thread at a time they deem fit. 

29 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Lord had a bit of a crisis, courtesy of Billiam Gates himself. But I think we're back on track now we've excellently collaborated. 

And a good job too that you were here, old boy!

You recieve bonus positivity for your opening gambit.

Especially the inclusion of  'Girth' and 'violent feud'

Speaking of feud...that Gates and his team,  the swine.  Sneaking down a chaps wireless connection and starting reconfigurations without so much as a bye or leave.

I feel as though I have been victim to some burglarious entry! 

And they have stolen one of my matchday memes. 

He'll feel the end of my cosh  if I ever see him around here!

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

An hour late to the minute, but if you register you have the job for the season. Must be able to affix rockets up Taylor skirt though !

41 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Lord had a bit of a crisis, courtesy of Billiam Gates himself. But I think we're back on track now we've excellently collaborated. 

I also want to suggest some new matchday crumpet.

There is a logic to this so bear with me.

The Wednesdays climb back from the depths to the top table and consolidation 1979-85 coincided with the airing of the Dukes of Hazzard.

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute that Daisys Dukes appearance on our screens on a Saturday evening helped recharge the mental batteries of our players and fans but..

Actually , that is exactly what I'm suggesting. 

All hail the return of Daisy Duke.

Owlstalk OMDT mascot and  saviour of Wednesday's 2017-2018  season. 

Catherine-Bach-fabulous-female-celebs-of-the-past-10935752-640-480.jpg

Edited by Lord Snooty

Morning all,

Nice one Sam. 

Going to be a tough game for sure, but I think we will have enough in the team to grind out a much needed victory.  

2-1 Wednesday win coming up.  Winnall and Hoops with the goals.

LETS DO THIS!!

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

• Like 1

Really not feeling good about this. It has all the hallmarks of a midweek struggle. We'll huff and puff after going behind but not quite have enough to rescue anything from the game, just like Brentford at home last season.

Sheffield Wednesday 1 v 2 Sunderland

McGeady 11

Grabban 34

Rhodes 67

Morning all from Singapore. Flying to Tokyo in 2 hours and back to U.K. On Friday . Haven't slept a wink all week, partly awful jet lag and partly worried at the beating we will get v Sunderland.

our best outfield player loovens is injured, our midfielders including the wretched reach are out of form and our superstar striker has scored in a total of 2 matches in more than 6 months.

thankfully we have a goalie who is exceptional, and against his former team will be looking to deliver.

nil nil purely down to Westwood having a blinder.

Edited by mcmigo

Guest Kagoshimaowl

As long as Reach and Rhodes are on the bench, I'll be happy!  Boro laughing all the way to the bank with those two sales!

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

@TheEnchanter and @Lord Snooty well done.

Is this going to be a new local rivalry? 

Remainers v Leavers

Sharks v Jets

Snooters v Chanters

My vote is not easily bought, but by posting the Daisy Duke pic Snoots just pipped Enchanter at the post. Though why anyone would post such a picture then tell us not to tug is a tad cruel.

I'm taking three youngsters tonight so I hope Carlos has his attacking head on do they don't lose interest too early in the game.

Head - scrape a draw in a nil-nil or 1-1, in a tight, dull affair, with us set up tighter than a duck's arris.

Heart - FF left, Reach LB, many chances created for our superb set of strikers, pulsating 3-1 to kick our season into gear.

• Haha 1