OFFICIAL Sheffield Wednesday V Sunderland Match Day Thread

2 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

We could really do with Abdi making a statement with his performance tonight, showing his problems are behind him and he's ready to stake a claim for a starting spot every week. It's not fair really though, the lad needs easing back into the team slowly after so many recurring issues. At best we can hope he meshes well with Bannan and we're able to zip the ball around a lot better tonight.

Pleased to see Winnall starting and I honesty don't see Pudil at centre back as a cause for alarm in itself (obviously the lack of squad depth it shows is a bad situation but Pudil did a steady job in the middle last week). My major moan is that Matt Penney still isn't getting a look in at first team level despite none of our left backs performing adequately.

Pudil at CB, no cause for alarm?

I know you watch a lot of football so how do you work that one out?

Good afternoon fellas.

Excellent thread as per normal Pauli (although I haven't read it yet). Will read it later when I can be arsed.

5 hours behind here and I've left the wife and kids at Aquatica to slope off to listen to the game. 

Looking at the line up, I think Carlos has gone for a mix and match approach. Nearly there but not quite.

Liking the Hooper and Winnall partnership, but not keen on having to rely upon Pudil. Really should not be in the position of Pudil having to play central defence. Hopefully he does well though.

Wednesday 14 Blunderland 0 (Hooper 7, Winnall 7).

Edited by theowlsman

Fingers crossed and hope we can get a win. Pudil at CB also scares the crap out of me but you never know he could have a blinder.

Why the hell Boyd isn't in the team I'll never know. Perhaps Wallace is in for a night of defense type stuff.

I'm pretty sure fox can play CB if needed so reckon we are covered there. (Now that's even more scary.)

Off to back Sunderland -1 just in case. 6/1 with 365. Hmmmm

Edited by Maddogbob

It's the kind of lineup I've been wanting to see from Carlos,  be half tempted to play Fox rather than Reach at left back tho 

and obviously Pudil isn't no centre half but that's a situation we've only got ourselfs to blame for 

16 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Pudil at CB, no cause for alarm?

I know you watch a lot of football so how do you work that one out?

In fairness I'm prepared to bow to other's wisdom on this - I see a fair amount of footy (and am flattered that you remember so :biggrin:) but I'm no oracle on the subject. Playing Pudil at centre back is a sign of how disastrously thin the squad has gotten, no arguments. If one of them gets injured then we really are up sh*t creek without a paddle. 

As for how Pudil actually does playing in the left hand centre back role - has he been that bad? He's left footed so it's better than when we were trying to shoe horn Hutchinson in there, and is far better at passing the ball out from the back than Loovens who is ponderous beyond belief, or Lees who picks a long ball over the top too often.

In terms of how he actually defends at centre back - well I've seen him play there twice, once was obviously last week and the other time was away at Middlesbrough Christmas before last when we conceded inside 60 seconds then lost Hutch to injury so Pudil had to move inside. Honestly both times I thought he was good in the air and fairly assured in the tackle - he wasn't perfect, a bit of skills can do him all ends up on a bad day. In neither game did we concede a goal when Pudil was at centre back and we weren't too badly troubled defensively. Tonight will tell us more when he has to play at centre back for 90 minutes and Sunderland are aware going in that they're up against an inexperienced centre half.

Of course I'm fully aware I've just jinxed him to sh*t and Vaughan is going to have a field day on his way to a hat trick.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl