Leicester bid for George Hirst

20 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

You're crazy, why pay 5 figures to an 18 year old as a championship club?

I'm not crazy.Just maybe share a different opinion to you. It's all a gamble. If he turns into a £15-20M striker then the '5 figures' you mention will be worth it. If he flops then it will be a huge waste. Again it's all down to judgement.

2 minutes ago, Tudders said:

I'm not crazy.Just maybe share a different opinion to you. It's all a gamble. If he turns into a £15-20M striker then the '5 figures' you mention will be worth it. If he flops then it will be a huge waste. Again it's all down to judgement.

Agree with you.

We've gambled wages on other players..

What's the difference?

15 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

He's going to fall in to the trap of so many others where £££ are concerned.

Just because the kids he's played with this year are in 10k didn't make him worth that, especially not to us. If he thinks he can get it then you can't really blame him, his dad should stay out of it though as he has reps.

We shouldn't be paying him anymore than 2k a week, he's a long way to go yet

If he goes he goes, that's the way of football today 

He is labelled as one of most talented English players right now.

Increasing his pay, and making him part of our first team would be investing in him. He would be mad to want less then players of similiar reputation get elswhere. If he doesn't get him here he will somewhere else.

It is not like he fell off the moon right now and can't see how many players we brought in since DC took over, and what we are paying them. 

He can see how many players we brought in that play in his position.

He can see that none of development players are getting any playing time, and that CC doesn't want to give youth fair chance.

Not bringing him to train with first team in pre-season must indicate to him that he is nowhere near matchday squad, and that CC doesn't rate him as genuine attacking option.

He has shown huge potential and we would be pretty dumb to let him go for anywhere near a million.

Personally I think the potential he has shown at every level he has played at is worth us paying reasonable money to get him to stay, can you imagine if he's goes on to be one of the top strikers in the country and we had let him go for anywhere near £1m? lol

We obviously have to say no, but this £1 million bid should be an indicator to some of our fans that he's not nailed on to be the world beater his Dad was. See an awful lot of comparisons to Rooney, Owen, Rashford, Alli, etc, but the fact that Premier League teams arent swarming with mega bids shows what he is right now.... talented lad, with potential to be a star, but he's nowhere near a finished article.  He shouldn't be pressured and needs to develop before he's anywhere near the team sheet for a league game. Get him on a 3 year contract and loan him to League 2.

He would have gone to  Portugal but was told to rest. He will be training with first team next week on their return and will be loaned out.

If he does not sign an extension we will get more than a million from tribunal. 

When i have seen him play, he is nowhere near ready for first team.

Despite the huge strides we've made as a club there's still so many negative comments come from people. "Same old Wednesday", "Our policy is to sign useless players for loads and let them rot" , "It could only happen to us", "I know we'll concede in the last minute, we always do", "Same old Wednesday" etc etc etc.

Every club in the world has some fans who seem to think the same way as if their club is somehow special  when actually about 2% of teams actually win anything of any note and even their fans are never happy.

We're light years ahead of where we were before Mandaric and Chansiri's times at the club and I trust DC to handle this situation in the same way he handled FF situation and so many other decisions since he arrived, professionally, behind closed doors and in the best interests of himself and our club.

Edited by Sultan_Pepper

7 minutes ago, Daniel Judge said:

We obviously have to say no, but this £1 million bid should be an indicator to some of our fans that he's not nailed on to be the world beater his Dad was. See an awful lot of comparisons to Rooney, Owen, Rashford, Alli, etc, but the fact that Premier League teams arent swarming with mega bids shows what he is right now.... talented lad, with potential to be a star, but he's nowhere near a finished article.  He shouldn't be pressured and needs to develop before he's anywhere near the team sheet for a league game. Get him on a 3 year contract and loan him to League 2.

I think it's an indicator of how clubs in the top flight try and rip off the rest of the league. 1m to these clubs is like 100k to everyone else, but they think wafting a token six figure sum will tempt teams.

If he got some league experience and scored a few then his value would soar overnight.

8 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

He would have gone to  Portugal but was told to rest. He will be training with first team next week on their return and will be loaned out.

If he does not sign an extension we will get more than a million from tribunal.

When i have seen him play, he is nowhere near ready for first team.

The bigger question is, will he ever be ready at this level?

Plenty at his age showing potential have fallen by the wayside, too many Owls are getting carried away because of who his dad is. 

Wenhave to to trust the club in these matters, if they think he's worth keeping long term they'll do it. 

Guest RocketOwl

Why we don't just send him out on loan to League 2 for first half a season then league 1 for second half of season is the most baffling aspect.

He is 18, not 16. There are 18 year olds pplaying throughout the football league.

58 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Agree with you.

We've gambled wages on other players..

What's the difference?

No difference at all.At least with Hirst he's an England youth international and he's obviously got a good pedigree. If it was me,I'd pay him the 5 figures and take a calculated gamble.