Leicester bid for George Hirst

If we get to the top flight, we have a massive rebuilding job ahead of us. We have very much taken the short term, bobbar or bust approach, and have assembled a veritable dad's army of CHAMPIONSHIP players. If it works, then great, but we will have to rebuild the whole squad, and that includes the younger groups. 

We will need to do what Everton, Leicester, and most of the other top flight clubs are trying to do, and that is secure the next generation. Keeping George Hirst is a must, if we aspire to cement a place at the top table. If the gamble fails, then as Student suggests, there is still the compensation process, if young Hirst then decides to leave.

2 hours ago, David1867 said:

All those saying the bid is a joke, they can roger off etc do you realise that he is in the final year of his contract and will leave for next to nothing next summer. 

The club have virtually no power at all in this situation, the ball is entirely in Hirst's court. 

I see the rejection of this bid more as Wednesday saying "look, for £1m - which doesn't really help us that much in our current healthy-ish financial situation - we might as well spend the next six months trying to figure out an extension, an exciting loan placement for him, or how to engineer a better fee & sell-on deal."

£1m doesn't put much of a dent in FFP budgets - the only money issue holding us back at the moment - so IMO it's worth the gamble to twist on Hirst rather than fold at the first opportunity.

Good god. We have shed loads of strikers (ok I agree that he should be in front of 3 of them) so he would not play in Portugal! He's had a long summer with England so he's being eased back in slowly hence not even starting for the Under 23's.

I am sure we'll be in negotiations with him and do what is best for him with regards to his development. 

I believe he will be playing for us in the future and hope he becomes a star like his dad was !

13 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Hirst should have Nuhiu's place in the squad

They're practically opposites in terms of what they bring to the table. We've got at least three others who do what Hirst does, but physically stronger and with more experience. Winnall in particular looks a very similar sort of player from what we've seen. Nuhiu, for better and worse, offers something unique in our squad (and division, more or less).

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

They're practically opposites in terms of what they bring to the table. We've got at least three others who do what Hirst does, but physically stronger and with more experience. Winnall in particular looks a very similar sort of player from what we've seen. Nuhiu, for better and worse, offers something unique in our squad (and division, more or less).

Definitely unique I'll give you that :duntmatter:

43 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Seriously why would he want to stay? 

Our transfer policy means there's virtually no pathway into the first team 

What is our transfer policy?

Edited by flo

2 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

So on your logic we should sign a keeper who can't catch crosses, can't stop shots, has no command of his area and can't kick either.......just because he'd offer something different to all other keepers that we have

36 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

People are too sentimental over the kid because of daddy. Still looks like a boy to me, and probably a couple of years off making an impact here. He might not wanna wait that long, and daddy may not want him to. If he goes for BIG money and a sell-on, I'd be content. £1m is pathetic for one of the brightest footballing talents in this country. 

If he doesn't want to wait too long going to a Premiership club could be a mistake. If he's not ready for the Championship he won't be ready for the Premiership. All a top club would do is loan him to a lower league club to get experience, we can do that.

In a Premiership club he would be one among many very talented youngsters, here he's got 30,000 Wednesday fans looking out for him because of his family history. At Man U he'd just be another talented kid who might or might not make it.

He would be well advised to stick around for a bit longer, if he breaks through in the next couple of years he can pick up a mega money deal to a top club if we haven't progressed enough to keep him.

Loan him out to a lower league club until Christmas, if he does well we can loan him out to a better standard of club or bring him back and play him ourselves.

40 minutes ago, Ian said:

So on your logic we should sign a keeper who can't catch crosses, can't stop shots, has no command of his area and can't kick either.......just because he'd offer something different to all other keepers that we have

Not the same though is it. With strikers, you need to have different options, and different combinations, depending on what's required at the time. Yes, the ultimate aim is to put the ball in the net, but you could have six Jimmy Greaves, and it wouldn't necessarily make us any more potent

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

No.

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

Cam someone enlighten me as to which Premiership team Hirst would start for if he was there next season?

He wouldn't. They would loan him out to a small Championship club like us. 

Some fans don't get where we currently sit on the football food chain. The likes of West Brom, Leicester and Swansea can bully us and take our players, and we can do the same to the likes of Barnsley, Oldham and Charlton. 

41 minutes ago, prowl said:

If he doesn't want to wait too long going to a Premiership club could be a mistake. If he's not ready for the Championship he won't be ready for the Premiership. All a top club would do is loan him to a lower league club to get experience, we can do that.

In a Premiership club he would be one among many very talented youngsters, here he's got 30,000 Wednesday fans looking out for him because of his family history. At Man U he'd just be another talented kid who might or might not make it.

He would be well advised to stick around for a bit longer, if he breaks through in the next couple of years he can pick up a mega money deal to a top club if we haven't progressed enough to keep him.

Loan him out to a lower league club until Christmas, if he does well we can loan him out to a better standard of club or bring him back and play him ourselves.

That would also probably happen if he went to a Premier League club. I do want us to hold on to him, because he seems like a good prospect, but whether he stays, or goes, his immediate prospects regarding game time, are the same here as they would be in the top flight