carlos-steel city derby

7 hours ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

having read the Sheffield star today,there's a 2 pager about the upcoming derbies .

got me thinking

will Carlos get the players motivated for the derbies?

Carlos is a better manager than wilder but wilder understands what a win means more than Carlos

What do you base your opinion on that Carlos is any better as a manager than wilder?

i thought what makes a good manager is the ability to get the best out of the resources he has, Carlos certainly is not that good at doing this.

Ive been saying for ages that if the blunts got promoted they'd probably get 6 points off us next season

We'll more than likely end up in the top 6 and the blunts will probably be relegated

But I have zero confidence in Carlos for 'one off' games where the fans want the team to really go for it and win

Its one of the reasons I wanted Carlos gone

8 hours ago, Mishowl said:

We have the better players but Carlos' style of play lacks tempo and is not suited to the blood and guts of a derby.

The pigs will turn us over.

I agree. Quality does not neccessarily come out on top in a derby. Their work rate in probability will far exceed ours.

9 hours ago, Bark1062 said:

What do you base your opinion on that Carlos is any better as a manager than wilder?

i thought what makes a good manager is the ability to get the best out of the resources he has, Carlos certainly is not that good at doing this.

How much higher than 6th did you expect us to finish the season before last?

How much higher than 4th did you expect us to finish last season?

I think with proper Derby games managers either get it or they don't. 

Treat it like just another game and you will come up short. 

Amount of times that the supposed lesser side has come out on top in steel city clashes is not a coincidence imo. 

I don't think derbies are won these days on 'fight and battle' - it's not 1991. The quality of players is far superior to even 10 years ago, and refs take a very tough line with hard challenges and managers know you'll need guile and skill to win the games.

Having said that, i worry about our mobility and fitness levels and our languid, sit back and knock it about will be tested in these games. On paper, even at the moment without our recruitment, we have the better players, who should be able to play their way to a win. 

Also, the pigs apparently knocked it about about Brazil last season, but the won't have the same luxury with the massively increased quality in the championship generally. Do they even have the players to 'bully' wednesday.

14 minutes ago, thekimmyowl said:

If Carlos goes back to his first seasons style of play, with the improved quality of players we have now and who may come in, then we can be promoted outright and win both derbies. Play like last season and we will come up short on both counts

Exactly. Take away the fact Arsenal were in second gear,we took the game to a top 6 premier league team and won easily. We sit nervously in our own box against the likes of Burton Albion & Huddersfield in the play offs & get diddly squat . It surely highlights which way you should go in these games.

I think Carlos is a solid manager but is also a major reason why we have fell short twice on the trot  

Edited by james o connor

19 hours ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

having read the Sheffield star today,there's a 2 pager about the upcoming derbies .

got me thinking

will Carlos get the players motivated for the derbies?

Carlos is a better manager than wilder but wilder understands what a win means more than Carlos

If the players aren't aware then they are thicker than I imagined 

Plus it shouldn't make any difference who we are playing. If they put more effort in for one particular  match I don't want them here 

We aren't the pigs, the Dingles or Toy Town, we have more than 2 games a season 

We don't need to worry about Carlos and how he would manage a derby next season.   By the time we play them for the first time, they will have resorted to the bottlers they have become over the last 7 years with a few humbling defeats.

I was only 1 when the Boxing day massacre happened, I can feel it in my bones that this season we'll do it again.    There will be some mardy blades come the end of the season and it's our time to show them really that their still is a massive gap to mind between our two clubs in class both on and off the pitch.

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

I agree. Quality does not neccessarily come out on top in a derby. Their work rate in probability will far exceed ours.

Will it?

Say what you will about our slow and tepid style of football last season (and I'd agree with you about it) but I wouldn't say work rate has ever been a problem for us. The likes of Bannan, Hunt, Lee, Reach and Hutch are all workers. 

Even Forrestieri - who United seem to focus on as a representation of our "fancy dan mercenaries" or whatever, which is obviously total sh*t - generally works his arse off for us. 

Also, it isn't like United are a particularly physical or dominant team. They like to think they pass it around a lot as well, and don't really have the players to bully us if it turns out we can do it better than them. 

15 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

Please stop with this. We lost because Carlos royally messed it up. Huddersfield were not some superstar fantastic team. We lost because Carlos got it very very wrong. We don't have to ask Reading. I was there. We lost because Carlos had a season of being spineless. He needs to change or he can go. Please stop with the "lottery" rubbish. Carlos got it wrong. Very wrong.

We finished where we were expected to be in the league. If you don't believe the play-offs are a lottery then you don't know much about football.

Some of our fans really are deluded!

15 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Based on little but our weakness against teams that make the match a battle. Plus I am still haunted by 91/92 which, for some reason this coming season makes me think of. 

Think that changed for the good this season - we certainly did better against teams that come and battle, the previous season really was a disaster against those types of teams.

The manager and players are learning - let's hope they learn that the right combination from season one and season two will give us a really good chance of top 2 next season.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Why is this all about the manager, it's the players that go on the pitch.

We do have a problem where we don't have enough players who win tackles or pick up loose balls especially in midfield so perhaps we should be asking how we think Bannan, Wallace and Reach will do in a derby 

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

We finished where we were expected to be in the league. If you don't believe the play-offs are a lottery then you don't know much about football.

Some of our fans really are deluded!

So are you happy with how we set up against Huddersfield both home and away? If you think that was just because it's a lottery I would say you're the one that's deluded. 

7 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

So are you happy with how we set up against Huddersfield both home and away? If you think that was just because it's a lottery I would say you're the one that's deluded. 

We set up exactly the same as we did when we beat them home and away in the league 

Why not put some of the blame on the performance of individual players. Every time we got the ball in the away leg we gave it back to them and so never got any forward momentum at all

I expect and hope Carlos will move away from his counter attacking style this season but it will make little difference if some players perform like they did in the playoffs 

16 hours ago, Bark1062 said:

It can only be bias. Like it or not, if you are entirely honest you have to admit that Wilder did a fantastic job last season and has the makings of being a top manager. Yes, it's the pub league and the blunts should never have languished in there for so long bur more illustrious names in the past failed where Wilder succeeded. We'll see who deals with the pressure better next season when it comes to the derby games. If CC reverts to the ridiculously negative tactics that he used in our most pressure-filled match (Udders) next season prepare to be shocked...