carlos-steel city derby

27 minutes ago, Almat said:

It can only be bias. Like it or not, if you are entirely honest you have to admit that Wilder did a fantastic job last season and has the makings of being a top manager. Yes, it's the pub league and the blunts should never have languished in there for so long bur more illustrious names in the past failed where Wilder succeeded. We'll see who deals with the pressure better next season when it comes to the derby games. If CC reverts to the ridiculously negative tactics that he used in our most pressure-filled match (Udders) next season prepare to be shocked...

I beg to differ.

The class of that division is really poor.   Diabolically poor.  Who were the serious opposition?   What did the other challengers to the title have in their locker?   I'm sorry but the fact of how poorly they started the season and still managed to achieve what they did says it all.     

I'm sorry but after those first five words, I refuse to read any more of your drivel.

9 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

How much higher than 6th did you expect us to finish the season before last?

How much higher than 4th did you expect us to finish last season?

What's that got to do with my quote?.

Why does that make him a better manager than wilder?

Who got the best out of the players they had available last season, Carlos or Wilder I would say Wilder.

Go through our team and ask yourself player by player did Carlos get the best from them.

look forward to your reply.

5 minutes ago, Bark1062 said:

What's that got to do with my quote?.

Why does that make him a better manager than wilder?

Who got the best out of the players they had available last season, Carlos or Wilder I would say Wilder.

Go through our team and ask yourself player by player did Carlos get the best from them.

look forward to your reply.

I'd say United had just about the best squad in League One and we had roughly the 3rd or 4th best squad in the Championship, so both achieved about par for the course.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'd say United had just about the best squad in League One and we had roughly the 4th best squad in the Championship, so both achieved about par for the course.

Your probably not far off there, the point I'm making is the op said Carlos is a better manager than wilder, because we played at different levels with different resources it's difficult to judge.

For me the only way is to judge them is did they get the best from the players they had & I don't think Carlos did, but I believe wilder did.

14 minutes ago, Bark1062 said:

Your probably not far off there, the point I'm making is the op said Carlos is a better manager than wilder, because we played at different levels with different resources it's difficult to judge.

For me the only way is to judge them is did they get the best from the players they had & I don't think Carlos did, but I believe wilder did.

As you say, it's hard to judge when they were playing in leagues of such vastly different quality. I don't think Carlos particularly underachieved last season as some seem to, though - 4th place was about what I expected at the start of the season.

3 hours ago, salmonbones said:

I beg to differ.

The class of that division is really poor.   Diabolically poor.  Who were the serious opposition?   What did the other challengers to the title have in their locker?   I'm sorry but the fact of how poorly they started the season and still managed to achieve what they did says it all.     

I'm sorry but after those first five words, I refuse to read any more of your drivel.

Good Lord. Wake up, mate, EVERY football club's bulletin boards are full of bias, that's the norm. There's a reason the word FAN is an abbreviation of FANATIC. I just feel sorry for those (like you) who can't actually see it because they really are the criminally deluded ones. You just have to see posts on here claiming CC to be one of the best managers we have ever had and FF being one of the best players we have ever had to realise this. Unless you are truly biased/deluded, of course. 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'd say United had just about the best squad in League One and we had roughly the 3rd or 4th best squad in the Championship, so both achieved about par for the course.

I think it's about time we got a manager who over-achieved, personally. We seem so keen to settle for 'OK' 'not bad' 'about where we should be' when it comes to our managers. I want better than that. Who wouldn't? Happy clappers on here, apparently. For instance,. where would you suggest Udders' squad should have finished last season? That club are now guaranteed to be 200 million spondoolics richer no matter what happens next season and their team cost 1.3 million!

31 minutes ago, Almat said:

Good Lord. Wake up, mate, EVERY football club's bulletin boards are full of bias, that's the norm. There's a reason the word FAN is an abbreviation of FANATIC. I just feel sorry for those (like you) who can't actually see it because they really are the criminally deluded ones. You just have to see posts on here claiming CC to be one of the best managers we have ever had and FF being one of the best players we have ever had to realise this. Unless you are truly biased/deluded, of course. 

So, exactly what level would you put Division one at.   Because it seems me and you disagree to the quality of the teams in that division.

It's not about bias, it's about the basic fact that they smashed what was put in front of them (eventually) but does smashing a nothing team make you automatically good?    Well, in fact did they smash it, or did more often then not they get lucky.

You call bias, I call you out as someone who can't see the wood for the trees.   Wilder has proved nothing by having at his disposal a team that should have done exactly what it did.   In fact all that has happened is he has further shown up previous managers that they have had over the last half a decade.

30 minutes ago, Almat said:

I think it's about time we got a manager who over-achieved, personally. We seem so keen to settle for 'OK' 'not bad' 'about where we should be' when it comes to our managers. I want better than that. Who wouldn't? Happy clappers on here, apparently. For instance,. where would you suggest Udders' squad should have finished last season? That club are now guaranteed to be 200 million spondoolics richer no matter what happens next season and their team cost 1.3 million!

Huddersfield's season was incredible but that doesn't take away from our own strong season.

We overachieved in Carlos' first season. As much as it might frustrate you, progress isn't always linear. We may well overachieve again next season, which would probably see us promoted.

8 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

So are you happy with how we set up against Huddersfield both home and away? If you think that was just because it's a lottery I would say you're the one that's deluded. 

I was happy with how we set up away from home, not so much the home leg. Huddersfield were the third best team in the league this season (and would have finished 3rd at it not been for rotating the squad the last few games) and deserved to go up.

Your last sentence doesn't really make any sense - if I think the play-offs are a lottery then I'm deluded? Deluded about the play-offs being a lottery? Think you may have used a wrong word or term?

17 hours ago, oldishowl said:

We set up exactly the same as we did when we beat them home and away in the league 

Why not put some of the blame on the performance of individual players. Every time we got the ball in the away leg we gave it back to them and so never got any forward momentum at all

I expect and hope Carlos will move away from his counter attacking style this season but it will make little difference if some players perform like they did in the playoffs 

My fear is he will use last seasons points total as mandate to show it is better and more productive to play that way when compared to CCs first season in charge

Purely a function of the opposition being quite poor tbh if you ask me 

Edited by Silkstone Owl

18 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I was happy with how we set up away from home, not so much the home leg. Huddersfield were the third best team in the league this season (and would have finished 3rd at it not been for rotating the squad the last few games) and deserved to go up.

Your last sentence doesn't really make any sense - if I think the play-offs are a lottery then I'm deluded? Deluded about the play-offs being a lottery? Think you may have used a wrong word or term?

It does make sense because I don't think that this seasons were a lottery. They were there to be won. But Carlos chose to play safety first. Like most of the season. That's why Huddersfield would have made third. Because we played safety first all season. We should have made third and smashed the play offs. Does that make sense?

On 16/06/2017 at 15:25, ViolaOwls said:

The op has a fair point. Cc didn't get us up for derbies against Rotherham or Barnsley, but we got lucky. Let's not forget the play off and last years final

I agreee there mate don't think CC can get us as fired up as we need at times. On paper our team should run rings round the blunts embarrass them. But we all know not played on paper i do worry a little 

On 6/17/2017 at 15:20, Almat said:

It can only be bias. Like it or not, if you are entirely honest you have to admit that Wilder did a fantastic job last season and has the makings of being a top manager. Yes, it's the pub league and the blunts should never have languished in there for so long bur more illustrious names in the past failed where Wilder succeeded. We'll see who deals with the pressure better next season when it comes to the derby games. If CC reverts to the ridiculously negative tactics that he used in our most pressure-filled match (Udders) next season prepare to be shocked...

"the makings of being a top manager"?  He's been in management for 16 years and is nearly 50.  He won the non league playoffs with Oxford, the fourth division with Norhtampton and the third with United. Crikey, United really had NO competition last season and, for example, Billy Sharp was paid porbably as much as Fleetwood Towns (one of their main rivals!) entire team.  Oxford were the biggest team in non league and they finished in the playoffs, don't know about Norhtampton, but 3 success in 16 years at 50 years old hardly makes him a young up and coming manager does it.

As for Wilder getting more out of his players than Carlos, absolute rubbish.  Anyway, if they beat us twice, and we get promoted, I'll gladly take that.

On 2017-6-16 at 17:46, clud17 said:

Barnsley, Rotherham, Huddersfield and Leeds are only derbies in the eyes of the media. They don't really mean that much to us. We get angry when we lose them because we lose not because who they are.

The pigs is a totally different kettle of fish...proper derby, proper history, proper rivalry, proper fierce

I would expect Bullen to have a massive impact on getting the lads up for it, maybe even Semedo if he has got nowt else to do. I would expect the players to pick up on the fact that the derby starts as soon as the fixtures list is released and the league position after every game.

As above this 'Yorkshire Derby' nonsense annoys me there is only 1 Derby game. 

On 2017-6-16 at 15:17, Greenhgate Owl said:

having read the Sheffield star today,there's a 2 pager about the upcoming derbies .

got me thinking

will Carlos get the players motivated for the derbies?

Carlos is a better manager than wilder but wilder understands what a win means more than Carlos

Difference is it will be their cup finals and heights of their season, to carlos in particular will be approached as another game in the quest for promotion, the atmosphere, professionalism and quality will see our lads through

16 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

It does make sense because I don't think that this seasons were a lottery. They were there to be won. But Carlos chose to play safety first. Like most of the season. That's why Huddersfield would have made third. Because we played safety first all season. We should have made third and smashed the play offs. Does that make sense?

It doesn't explain why the play-offs suddenly stop being a lottery, no. There is no guarantee that had we attacked Huddersfield we would have won - same goes for Reading had we made the final.

We played attacking the previous season and that ended in failure too. Carlos learned from this, but I agree with you - ended up going too defensive. Let's hope he strikes a balance between the last two seasons for the forthcoming season. Might well make us a top 2 team and we won't need to concern ourselves with the play-offs.

On 18/06/2017 at 18:56, 31Dec1966 said:

"the makings of being a top manager"?  He's been in management for 16 years and is nearly 50.  He won the non league playoffs with Oxford, the fourth division with Norhtampton and the third with United. Crikey, United really had NO competition last season and, for example, Billy Sharp was paid porbably as much as Fleetwood Towns (one of their main rivals!) entire team.  Oxford were the biggest team in non league and they finished in the playoffs, don't know about Norhtampton, but 3 success in 16 years at 50 years old hardly makes him a young up and coming manager does it.

As for Wilder getting more out of his players than Carlos, absolute rubbish.  Anyway, if they beat us twice, and we get promoted, I'll gladly take that.

Like I say, total bias being showed again. Many more supposedly illustrious names have failed miserably with United in the pub league. I have absolutely no idea how you can come to the conclusion that CC got more out of his players than Wilder did his. They won the league (and by a country mile) and we capitulated against a team that cost 1.3 million in total and with a wage bill that would have been a small %tage of ours.. And you are making the argument that United should win because their closest rivals had a much smaller budget lol Like I say, total bias and delusion. But keep clapping all you want.

PS And what if they beat us twice and we don't get promoted? Would you still be clapping then?? Or hiding? WTF:

Carlos may have won a high pressure game in his previous jobs but we're yet to see that here.

I also question the mentality of the players given how tepid we played against Hull and Huddersfield. They shouldn't need motivating.

Wilder's a blade at heart and knows what it means to win this kind of game. Carlos doesn't.

Going on last season's performances, I'll be content with 2 draws unless our style of play changes (and I'm sure it won't.)