Almen Abdi

6 minutes ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

I think Abdi is finished with us.

Watford have done us, we all hear about how great he was for them during their promotion season & the first year in the prem but they still let him go.

We bought a player who never seems to be fit & takes an age to recover.

Now he's the wrong side of 30.

I hope he proves me wrong next year but I can't see this guy playing much of a part for us.

lol

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

What about this.

Westwood 

Lees   Loovens  Hutchinson 

Hunt        Bannan      Lee        Reach 

Wallace  

Rhodes             Hooper 

Edited by Lord Snooty

Fitness is only half the story.

Being f*cking played out wide is the other half.

To get the most out of Abdi, we either need a change in management or a change in the current managers stubborness with regards to 4-4-2. If Carlos stays and if we continue with this seasons "system" he may as well not be here. 

Abdi is one of a number of players in this squad who I think any prospective new manager would love to get their hands on. 

Edited by sheffield_dave

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

To get the most out of Abdi, we either need a change in management or a change in the current managers stubborness with regards to 4-4-2. If Carlos stays and if we continue with this seasons "system" he may as well not be here. 

Abdi is one of a number of players in this squad who I think any prospective new manager would love to get their hands on. 

Nail on head.

7 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Well it shouldn't be too hard for them to find him.

He'll be in the physios room.

47 minutes ago, pompeyowl said:

Abdi is absolute magic when fit and played in position. 

I was so excited to see him this season after seeing him play against Port Vale in the pre season fixture. 

Gutted not to have seen stamp his mark on this season. 

Fingers crossed he gets back to full fitness, and can excite us next season. 

We won't see this under CC, as he won't get past Hutchinson, Bannan or Lee

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Abdi played most of his Premier League football as a wide midfielder; he should be more than capable of playing wide midfield for us in the Championship. His positional flexibility is probably one of the things that attracted us to him in the first place.

I'd say the fact that Abdi's been unfit for almost the entire season has had more to with his lack of impact than anything Carlos has done. The fact that he was given his own 'mini pre-season' in the autumn to try and get up to speed is testament to the fact that he wasn't where he needed to be in that regard.

Hopefully we'll see the best of Abdi next season, whether that's centrally or cutting in from out wide, as he certainly has the pedigree to be one of the best players in this division. I imagine Carlos, more than anyone, will be willing him to stay fit and show us what he's really capable of.

I think he could take us up a level.  The reality is, we have Abdi, Bannan, Lee, Hutch and Jones competing for two CM spots.

Our wingers need to be good enough so that accommodating CMs out wide is a non starter.

22 minutes ago, Stoop said:

We won't see this under CC, as he won't get past Hutchinson, Bannan or Lee

What about when Hutch is inneviatbly banned or injured? Or when Bannan is is injured or not on form? Abdi's chance to shine. 

53 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

What about this.

Westwood 

Lees   Loovens  Hutchinson 

Hunt        Bannan      Lee        Reach 

Abdi     

Rhodes      Forestieri 

Looks good on paper. Would allow hutch to play in the centre of defence and use him as our ball playing defender. Would probably mean having to sign a new right wing back to compete with hunt. Another central midfielder, preferably one with a bit more physical presence ( irvine from burton ) , and probably another attacking midfielder/ winger / striker with genuine pace . That would leave our squad wi options all over

Imo Abdi was brought in cos McGugan refused to play the number 10 role. Carlos then decided that we don't even play with a number 10 and proceeded to play him out wide where he isn't as affective, hence why he left Watford. Then he spent the rest of the season in and out of the side for various reasons. If we're not going to play in a way that gets the best out of the players, then there's no point signing/having said players at the club 

Despite his issues with fitness, I was dissapointed that I didn't really notice him on the pitch. He has undoubted quality on the ball but strikes me as a player you need to accommodate/build a side around and we have a few too many of them.

6 minutes ago, pickledegghiderman said:

Looks good on paper. Would allow hutch to play in the centre of defence and use him as our ball playing defender. Would probably mean having to sign a new right wing back to compete with hunt. Another central midfielder, preferably one with a bit more physical presence ( irvine from burton ) , and probably another attacking midfielder/ winger / striker with genuine pace . That would leave our squad wi options all over

Yeah gives options. Hooper behind front two, Abdi back in midfield. Wallace for Hunt even. think it's a formation we should try as all our best players are centre midfielders or strikers.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I honestly can't see him coming good

That's not me saying he isn't a good player, but I don't think he has the required attributes to succeed in a midfield 2. I really hope next season I can stand corrected. For a 30 year old to miss an entire season of football is very difficult to bounce back from physically

The simple solution to that would be to change our system to a three man central midfield. Sign someone like Huddlestone / Mooy to go with Lee and Abdi and we would control games in the same way Huddersfield controlled the game against us.

2 hours ago, pompeyowl said:

Abdi is absolute magic when fit and played in position. 

I was so excited to see him this season after seeing him play against Port Vale in the pre season fixture. 

Gutted not to have seen stamp his mark on this season. 

Fingers crossed he gets back to full fitness, and can excite us next season. 

So who would miss out to accommodate Abdi ? 

Assuming Carlos sticks with his 4-4-2 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Abdi played most of his Premier League football as a wide midfielder; he should be more than capable of playing wide midfield for us in the Championship. His positional flexibility is probably one of the things that attracted us to him in the first place.

I'd say the fact that Abdi's been unfit for almost the entire season has had more to with his lack of impact than anything Carlos has done. The fact that he was given his own 'mini pre-season' in the autumn to try and get up to speed is testament to the fact that he wasn't where he needed to be in that regard.

Hopefully we'll see the best of Abdi next season, whether that's centrally or cutting in from out wide, as he certainly has the pedigree to be one of the best players in this division. I imagine Carlos, more than anyone, will be willing him to stay fit and show us what he's really capable of.

Save some me typing it! Great post.

if he cut it at Watford for a season in prem playing out wide then he was more than capable doing it for us. 

Either injury or desire stopped that, CC will know if it were injury. If so he'll be stopping. If it was his desire or attitude keeping him out I'd expect him to go.