Almen Abdi

14 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

When fit Abdi is by far the best midfielder at the club IMO.

You must be basing that on having watched him elsewhere, because he looked nothing like the best midfielder in our colours.

I'm not saying he isn't quality. But from the matches he played for us, for whatever reason, he was very ordinary.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You must be basing that on having watched him elsewhere, because he looked nothing like the best midfielder in our colours.

I'm not saying he isn't quality. But from the matches he played for us, for whatever reason, he was very ordinary.

Let's see what happens next season, too many players get written off at Wednesday without being given a proper chance.

On 5/21/2017 at 11:40, WhiteOwl91 said:

So in order to try and move on from the disappointment of last week, I think it's time to start thinking of the positives of next season.

One of the main ones for me is getting Abdi fit. A lot of fans seem to forget he's even in the picture!

He came with a big reputation and most Watford fans were both disappointed and really surprised he dropped down to the championship. Just look at the tweets at the time on the subject 

This season he was blighted by injuries and without a pre season, so i for one can't wait to see him hopefully fit and raring to go in August. 

Hope he comes good ...

2 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

Let's see what happens next season, too many players get written off at Wednesday without being given a proper chance.

I am definitely not writing him off. 

I thought at Forest he was excellent. At Leeds decent. At home to Rotherham he was beginning to run the game until his injury.

But purely based on his showings for us so far, there is nothing to put him anywhere near Bannan or Lee's importance.

If he is to prosper he needs to play CM. He and the team are lousy when he plays wide.

38 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I thought at Forest he was excellent. At Leeds decent. At home to Rotherham he was beginning to run the game until his injury.

But purely based on his showings for us so far, there is nothing to put him anywhere near Bannan or Lee's importance.

If he is to prosper he needs to play CM. He and the team are lousy when he plays wide.

Norwich away, he ran the game

16 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

If it was me, i'd put him in the midfield and then build it around him from there. 

I don't feel like Carlos will do that unfortunately.  I guess it will be up to him in pre-season to make his mark, but i just cant see him leaving out Hutch, Lee and Bannan! 

Absolutely, he showed (albeit in glimpses because of his injuries) that he is capable of running the game. In the first half debacle against Brentford, he was the only midfielder who wanted to move the ball forward, was always looking for opportunities to bring the forwards into play

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Wasn't specifically aimed at you mate and yes I totally agree he needs to be central.

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Norwich away, he ran the game

I remember Bannan was outstanding, but couldn't recall Abdi.

Looked at the Poll and Abdi got 3%, compared to Bannan, Lee and Hutch sharing 80%.

Look I'm not saying he is a poor player. I just see nothing to suggest he should get in ahead of Bannan or Lee, let alone the suggestions to build a team around him.

22 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

If that's you're opinion then why not.

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

On technical ability, speed and goalscoring prowess, he probably is

That's what I am saying on paper they may be. But the evidence to call them the best in their positions at this present time doesn't really exist.

40 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

That's what I am saying on paper they may be. But the evidence to call them the best in their positions at this present time doesn't really exist.

True, but you could say the same about Jordan Rhodes

17 minutes ago, PolarNigel said:

No denying the bloke is gifted, but he's on a hefty wage and has barely played. In fact, after the joke season he's had I really wouldn't be arsed if he left. 

We've got a new medical team coming in so we'll get 46 games out of him this season for sure lol

Abdi is a quality CAM who can change the direction of a match with one touch...he also plays the channels beautifully...not ONLY that he has some goals in him which we lack from Midfield last season...

Do not forget...that even though he did not have a FULL pre-season before the 16/17 campaign...he started against Villa in the hole...that was a statement if ever you needed one. He even put Hutch back in the back 4.

I think Carlos always intended on playing him to his strengths but injuries and an inconsistent start to the league (including moaning fans) probably stilted the momentum a little.

Keep the faith and let Carlos manage this.

3 minutes ago, TotalSWFC said:

Abdi is a quality CAM who can change the direction of a match with one touch...he also plays the channels beautifully...not ONLY that he has some goals in him which we lack from Midfield last season...

Do not forget...that even though he did not have a FULL pre-season before the 16/17 campaign...he started against Villa in the hole...that was a statement if ever you needed one. He even put Hutch back in the back 4.

I think Carlos always intended on playing him to his strengths but injuries and an inconsistent start to the league (including moaning fans) probably stilted the momentum a little.

Keep the faith and let Carlos manage this.

Lets hope he has a good pre season, would be like a new signing