Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

On 22/05/2017 at 16:13, cookeh said:

Surprised most don't know these players as we've played against half of them recently.

For my part:
Tommy Elphick: Proven defender at this level, captained Bournemouth to promotion and would have played more for them in the Prem last year if not for a big injury. He's been there and done it, and has looked solid, combative and leader-like when I've seen him (particularly the early doors game against us this season). He's not the tallest and that's maybe a slight concern if he's along side Lees, but he does seem to be strong enough to win headers and make up for hi slack of height. That he's been Captain at Bournemouth and with Loovens getting older he'd be able to take up that mantle as well. So having seen him for a few games and with his overall history in the league he seems a no brainer.

Ryan Bennett: Will admit to not knowing a massive amount about him, seen him as much in interviews as on the pitch tbh. Seems an intelligent and level headed guy, been in and around Norwich's team for years, including their promotion season and in the premier league. So seems to have enough about him to offer some more competition in our backline, and seems about as good as we could get on a free.

Callum Paterson: Is a full Scottish international with 5 caps, of which I've seen all of them, as well as various highlights for his club, Hearts. his debut was the first 45 against Italy and he kept Darmian quite for the duration. He's calm, decent on the floor and in the air, he's been out injured since xmas, but had 10 goals, 2 assist from right back at that point. He looks certain to be Scotland's right back for years to come and it'd be better to pick him up cheap from a Scottish club, before he becomes a £7-8m playe, just like Hull did with Andy Robertson.

Connor Goldson: No one's seen much of him this season, but he played the 90 at their place last season and started the first playoff game. Looked really accomplished and physical for a young guy and I remember thinking it was a good thing for us when he went off. He's well thought off by their fans, and I think there's a decent change he'll stay as he may well be good enough to make the step up. If they wat to let him out and buy a 'big' centerback then we should be in for him imo.

Gary Mackay-Steven: Has been a notable player in Scottish football up until his move to Celtic. He was a part of the Dundee United team that as actually threatening to become the 2nd team in Scotland for a while there (along with the likes of Ryan Gauld, now of Sporting Lisbon, who we were linked with last year, and Andrew Robertson, left back at Hull). Saw a lot of him in extended highlights at that time as he was one of those who caught the eye in the SPL and looked like he could be a talent (like Ryan Fraser, now doing really well at Bournemouth). His move to Celtic hasn't worked tho, he's stuck behind Scott Sinclair and while he got a half against Man City in the Champions League, he's not going to be a starter there. He's got ability, he runs at players and gets goals as well as assists. He's exactly the type of winger we don't have, tho the closest is probably Forestieri. For the relatively low price he'd command, I think he's well worth a punt.

I've also mentioned a couple previously:
Liam Lindsey: Center back from Partick Thistle, 21, and has been performing well by all accounts. Came to my attention via word of mouth on a Scotland supporters forum, Scotland has a bit of a shortage of halfway decent centerbacks (as evidenced by Hanley having been a starter in recent years) and Lindsey has been getting good reviews, as well as being part of what was the second tightest defences in the SPFL until the final 2 games where the whole team seems to have gone on holiday. He's young, big, has popped up with 7 goals this season and is another who looks like they have a lot of potential. Partick have never sold a player for more than 300k, so for that kind of outlay he's well worth the gamble.

Igor Bubnjic: I'll admit that this one is just a player I'm a fan of. I saw him when he was a relative youngster a few years back, when I randomly went to a Hajduk Split league game. He's a tall Croatian center back who has really good distribution. He was on the edge of their national team not long ago and was playing in Serie A for Udinese and Carpi. Still at Udinese, but went out on loan for a bit this year. Doubtless looking for a new kickstart to his career and we could do a lot worse. If you like Bannan's passing, you'll probably enjoy this too: https://youtu.be/ZLUzarKXf4U

So.. all of them bar Lindsey I've seen for at least 90 minutes, most for at least a handful of games. Add in their history and what people I trust are saying about them and I'm pretty confident they'd all either do a job for us or represent worthwhile risk vs investment in the case of Lindsey and Mackay-Steven.

You're an agent, aren't you?

Stoke giving us first refusal on McManaman. They only paid £4.5m for him so I reckon we could get him for under £3m.

But would there be any point? He has what most of the attributes us fans want to see but his temperament & defensive duties must be the reasons Carlos didn't trust him to start more. Can't really see that changing.

24 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

Stoke giving us first refusal on McManaman. They only paid £4.5m for him so I reckon we could get him for under £3m.

But would there be any point? He has what most of the attributes us fans want to see but his temperament & defensive duties must be the reasons Carlos didn't trust him to start more. Can't really see that changing.

Stoke will be lucky to get any money from a McManaman sale.

West Brom on the other hand...

On 5/22/2017 at 14:19, AwokenGiant said:

Leeds haven't even officially made his move permanent yet, plus he's in love with their fans (which doesn't really say much for him). He ain't coming to Wednesday, though if Southampton's reported interest in him as a replacement for Van Dijk is true, he may still leave Leeds before ever actually playing a game for them as their full-time player.

7 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Forsyth was a very solid player before his injury, he always impressed me at Hillsborough. Would be a risk mind

We need to stop signing players with injury records like his.

It bit us in the bum this season. 

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Stoke will be lucky to get any money from a McManaman sale.

West Brom on the other hand...

Haha... yeah my bad. Long day. 

Whenever I read Pulis' name Stoke automatically come into my head.

If we could get him from Celtic, Stuart Armstrong would be great signing. Skillful, hard working, strong, quick, two footed, creates, scores, defends...

All in all, complete player who can be used across midfield.

11 minutes ago, vulva said:

Celtics best player is that lad Tierney. Doubt we would get anywhere near him though. Also like the lad McKay at Rangers. 

Tierney will sign for a Man United or someone of that ilk. He is completely out of our league. 

McKay for me is overrated and I think we have better. Caixinha doesn't want him and I reckon they'd accept less than a million for him now.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Celtics best player is that lad Tierney. Doubt we would get anywhere near him though. Also like the lad McKay at Rangers. 

Tierney is Premier League bound, probably to a top 7 side. McKay's stock has plummeted like nothing I've ever seen, at the start of the season The Daily Record were saying RB Leipzig wanted him for £7 million, now Caixinha basically sees him as surplus to requirements.

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 16:13, cookeh said:

Surprised most don't know these players as we've played against half of them recently.

For my part:
Tommy Elphick: Proven defender at this level, captained Bournemouth to promotion and would have played more for them in the Prem last year if not for a big injury. He's been there and done it, and has looked solid, combative and leader-like when I've seen him (particularly the early doors game against us this season). He's not the tallest and that's maybe a slight concern if he's along side Lees, but he does seem to be strong enough to win headers and make up for hi slack of height. That he's been Captain at Bournemouth and with Loovens getting older he'd be able to take up that mantle as well. So having seen him for a few games and with his overall history in the league he seems a no brainer.

Ryan Bennett: Will admit to not knowing a massive amount about him, seen him as much in interviews as on the pitch tbh. Seems an intelligent and level headed guy, been in and around Norwich's team for years, including their promotion season and in the premier league. So seems to have enough about him to offer some more competition in our backline, and seems about as good as we could get on a free.

Callum Paterson: Is a full Scottish international with 5 caps, of which I've seen all of them, as well as various highlights for his club, Hearts. his debut was the first 45 against Italy and he kept Darmian quite for the duration. He's calm, decent on the floor and in the air, he's been out injured since xmas, but had 10 goals, 2 assist from right back at that point. He looks certain to be Scotland's right back for years to come and it'd be better to pick him up cheap from a Scottish club, before he becomes a £7-8m playe, just like Hull did with Andy Robertson.

Connor Goldson: No one's seen much of him this season, but he played the 90 at their place last season and started the first playoff game. Looked really accomplished and physical for a young guy and I remember thinking it was a good thing for us when he went off. He's well thought off by their fans, and I think there's a decent change he'll stay as he may well be good enough to make the step up. If they wat to let him out and buy a 'big' centerback then we should be in for him imo.

Gary Mackay-Steven: Has been a notable player in Scottish football up until his move to Celtic. He was a part of the Dundee United team that as actually threatening to become the 2nd team in Scotland for a while there (along with the likes of Ryan Gauld, now of Sporting Lisbon, who we were linked with last year, and Andrew Robertson, left back at Hull). Saw a lot of him in extended highlights at that time as he was one of those who caught the eye in the SPL and looked like he could be a talent (like Ryan Fraser, now doing really well at Bournemouth). His move to Celtic hasn't worked tho, he's stuck behind Scott Sinclair and while he got a half against Man City in the Champions League, he's not going to be a starter there. He's got ability, he runs at players and gets goals as well as assists. He's exactly the type of winger we don't have, tho the closest is probably Forestieri. For the relatively low price he'd command, I think he's well worth a punt.

I've also mentioned a couple previously:
Liam Lindsey: Center back from Partick Thistle, 21, and has been performing well by all accounts. Came to my attention via word of mouth on a Scotland supporters forum, Scotland has a bit of a shortage of halfway decent centerbacks (as evidenced by Hanley having been a starter in recent years) and Lindsey has been getting good reviews, as well as being part of what was the second tightest defences in the SPFL until the final 2 games where the whole team seems to have gone on holiday. He's young, big, has popped up with 7 goals this season and is another who looks like they have a lot of potential. Partick have never sold a player for more than 300k, so for that kind of outlay he's well worth the gamble.

Igor Bubnjic: I'll admit that this one is just a player I'm a fan of. I saw him when he was a relative youngster a few years back, when I randomly went to a Hajduk Split league game. He's a tall Croatian center back who has really good distribution. He was on the edge of their national team not long ago and was playing in Serie A for Udinese and Carpi. Still at Udinese, but went out on loan for a bit this year. Doubtless looking for a new kickstart to his career and we could do a lot worse. If you like Bannan's passing, you'll probably enjoy this too: https://youtu.be/ZLUzarKXf4U

So.. all of them bar Lindsey I've seen for at least 90 minutes, most for at least a handful of games. Add in their history and what people I trust are saying about them and I'm pretty confident they'd all either do a job for us or represent worthwhile risk vs investment in the case of Lindsey and Mackay-Steven.

Cheers pal, some good informative descriptions there. Ive heard of a few of them bit know very little about them. So it's good to read someone's detailed views, instead of the usual "would he do a  job" posts