Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

1 hour ago, East Yorks Owl said:

If he genuinely didn't feel up to taking a pen then surely hes within his rights to say so and CC should use someone else? We've all seen quality players miss crucial pens for England; it really doesn't seem to matter how talented the player is.  

I guess Rhodes had the added pressure of it being against his old club and also on the back of the agreed save etc. I get it that people will want to slaughter the lad for not stepping up, but I'm not in that camp. 

Within his rights. Feck me. He is paid to do a job. Score goals. I dont tell my boss i dont fancy work today, ask somebody else. Jeez

35 minutes ago, southportdc said:

Great move by Carlos. Chuck your highest-profile player under the bus and we forget to talk about why anyone needed to take a penalty. 

8 shots in 180 minutes of football. 

We were lucky it got to penalties. 

I agree, parting shot by Carlos about a player he had nothing to do with the signing of and absolutely no idea of how to play to his strengths .

We certainly haven't played to Rhodes' strengths this season, and I think he may come good with the right service.

But he should be taking 5 or 6 penalties at the end of every training session, along with the other strikers. I wonder if this happens?

You're all insane.

A penalty shoot out is about the biggest pressure on a footballer. Its not about ability, or talent, its about confidence and belief. If there's any nagging doubt in your mind id rather Rhodes admits it and lets someone else who fancies it take one. Remember Pressman? Wanted one because he had the belief. Rhodes is our finest asset. Next season i can see him getting the golden boot. We didn't lose because Rhodes didn't take a penalty.

He's looked a bad signing.

a good player who after a good pre season will be a big difference next season.

However...

surely you want a striker who is fit and sharp and scoring goals for fun at the time of signing for £9million/£60k a week (if accurate)?!

Not as if we were short on strikers.

That £9 million should have been spent beefing up the defence, giving the midfield/forwards the insurance and more licence to attack.

6 minutes ago, Loppy said:

You're all insane.

A penalty shoot out is about the biggest pressure on a footballer. Its not about ability, or talent, its about confidence and belief. If there's any nagging doubt in your mind id rather Rhodes admits it and lets someone else who fancies it take one. Remember Pressman? Wanted one because he had the belief. Rhodes is our finest asset. Next season i can see him getting the golden boot. We didn't lose because Rhodes didn't take a penalty.

The worry is a striker shouldn't be "not fancying it", it shows what his state of mind is here. Hes been his clubs regular penalty taker in the past, he bottled it last night in the big pressure moment. Doesn't seem the player for us, definately not worth close to 10mil.

8 minutes ago, Loppy said:

You're all insane.

You get confidence by training and practising getting good at something.

Agree we didnt lose because of that though.

to be fair, it doesn't bother me who takes a penalty as long as they are good at taking them.

If its a case of Rhodes not being confident or whatever, than Carlos has probably thrown him under the bus by coming out and saying he wasn't confident enough to take one because, as you can see from on here and social media, Rhodes will get absolutely barracked for it ..

At first, i thought it was a tactic to pick half decent penalty takers first, and save your better ones until later when Hudds may have used their best ones first.

All these posters saying Hutch shouldn't have taken a penalty. What if he's actually one of the best takers at the club? we don't know that.

When Rhodes accepted a reported £1m signing on fee and £50k per week it comes with a responsibility to step forward in pressure situations like a big penalty shoot out.

Sorry but feel a bit let down by his reaction last night. Was delighted when we signed him but wants to pull his finger out next season and earn his money. Middlesbrough so far have had our pants down with the money we have given them for Rhodes and Reach.

Rhodes has gone from bench warmer at Middlesborough to playing a few games then back to bench warmer again his confidence will be shot cut him some slack not his fault he's had a tough ride. Our tactics have been dire throughout season making good strikers look. Mediocre at times we've been defensive all season and supply to forwards hasnt been their when they do score i.e. Winnall the week later they benched confidence gotta have been knocked without a doubt. Proud of him for standing up and admitting it just need the right tactics he'll be winning golden boot and all forgotten next year 

Confidence is the word that keeps cropping up here.

We have been crying out for this guy for years but so far we have only seen half the man. Being benched at Boro and struggling to crack the first team at Wednesday has clearly knocked him. He didn't look short of confidence when he was banging in 40 a season and slotting 4 past us in one game.

This is all about man management. I understand that Carlos has created a solid team spirit and the players are prepared to fight for each other but, im struggling to pick out players who look confident. Confident enough to take a risk, confident enough to take that shot first time or gamble on a mistake.

With confidence and a free reign to express themselves we have a devastating squad capable of beating anyone. Look at some of the performances we have produced when we have nothing to lose (against Newcastle, Arsenal etc).

If he didnt feel confident taking the penalty then I am glad he had the balls to say so. The concern we should all have is why he felt like this.

We need to set up to win games rather than not to lose them. We have some superb attacking options. please can we start playing to their strengths.

If we focus on him not wanting to take a penalty because his confidence is shot, it ain't gonna help increase his confidence.

A Jordan Rhodes, big on confidence, is surely a great asset to our team. Over the summer we've got to find a way to unlock the undoubted talent that he showed at Huddersfield & Blackburn. Otherwise we're wasting our money. As fans, we need to stick by our man and give him the chance to shine.

And that starts by looking at the way the team is set up, and working out what needs improving. Rhodes isn't the only 'star' to come to Hillsborough and not hit the ground running. Watford fans I know were fine with us getting FF off them, but were very disappointed to see Abdi go.

I'd like to see Abdi played in his best position, JR looked after and given the supply he deserves. The problem with having FF up front is that we've got plenty of strikers, and he takes the place off someone else - normally Rhodes or Winnall. FF on the left for me.

And then, we need to see where we need to strengthen. Quality supply and creativity in midfield and a stronger back line would be my punt. But for the moment, let's think about Rhodes and focus on getting the best out of him. We don't want his confidence even lower next season. Stand by our man.

From a team point of view if I was manager or captain I wouldn't want someone to take a penalty who wasn't super confident so it's fine by me that Rhodes coughed that he didn't want to do one of the first five.

Niall Quinn has what amounts to a meditation on shoot outs in his autobiography and ends up wishing he had been as brave as Kevin Kilbame even though KK missed a vital kick for Ireland in a Workd Cup.

Hence I am proud of those that stepped up even if we lost out. It happens to even the best like Baggio and Platini.

I'm sure this morning JR will be thinking on this and hopefully become a stronger character. What won't help him or any of the players is an overreaction to a narrow exit. Yes Udders played more fluently but the turning point for me was the save their goalie made from JR. there are fine margins in footy - everyone knows that if that had gone in, he (and Carlos) would be heroes instead of scapegoats this morning. 

Maybe Rhodes was scared to take one against his old club, or perhaps he has no confidence because CC has knocked it out of him by having him on the bench for the majority of the time. f**k knows but I've woke up this morning more annoyed than I wasn't last night, not just about that but so many other things in the game last night. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

11 minutes ago, CiderOwl said:

We have been crying out for this guy for years but so far we have only seen half the man. Being benched at Boro and struggling to crack the first team at Wednesday has clearly knocked him. He didn't look short of confidence when he was banging in 40 a season and slotting 4 past us in one game.

This is all about man management. I understand that Carlos has created a solid team spirit and the players are prepared to fight for each other but, im struggling to pick out players who look confident. Confident enough to take a risk, confident enough to take that shot first time or gamble on a mistake.

With confidence and a free reign to express themselves we have a devastating squad capable of beating anyone. Look at some of the performances we have produced when we have nothing to lose (against Newcastle, Arsenal etc).

If he didnt feel confident taking the penalty then I am glad he had the balls to say so. The concern we should all have is why he felt like this.

We need to set up to win games rather than not to lose them. We have some superb attacking options. please can we start playing to their strengths.

100% agreeeeeeeeee man management is terrible winnall will be next

8 minutes ago, CiderOwl said:

Well done CiderOwl. It took honesty from JR to say he wasn't confident at taking a penalty. That is to be applauded.

It is all about next season now - and how to build on what we've got and push for automatic promotion.

It concerns me that we haven't played the play offs with the kind of flair we know we have at our best. CC set us up too negatively in the first game, and that gave Huddersfield some confidence back. I think he gave them too much respect. Last year, we played Brighton superbly in the first game, and were well up for the dog fight of the second. Our tactics this year have not been great. Is CC the man to take us forward? I don't know. As much as I respect how far he's taken us, I do get frustrated with him playing players out of position, and not playing positively enough.

1 minute ago, Pulcinella said:

Well done CiderOwl. It took honesty from JR to say he wasn't confident at taking a penalty. That is to be applauded.

It is all about next season now - and how to build on what we've got and push for automatic promotion.

It concerns me that we haven't played the play offs with the kind of flair we know we have at our best. CC set us up too negatively in the first game, and that gave Huddersfield some confidence back. I think he gave them too much respect. Last year, we played Brighton superbly in the first game, and were well up for the dog fight of the second. Our tactics this year have not been great. Is CC the man to take us forward? I don't know. As much as I respect how far he's taken us, I do get frustrated with him playing players out of position, and not playing positively enough.

Another good post can't disagree with 

25 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Fair enough if he didn't feel confident at the time

By all accounts the penalty takers were picked in training. It wasn't the Rhodes got cold feet in front of the crowd. 

Maybe he missed a couple in training when they were practising.

My point is, we don't know and we're only having a go because Carlos has put it out there that he didn't want one.