Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

The point is he should be up for it whatever. Thats his job as a professional striker. An expensive one at that. We didnt buy him for his tea making ability or did we?

Yeah he should be up for it you can't argue that, but the fact that some people are slating him for not being confident, if he'd have come scoring goals like he previously has i'm sure he would have stepped up but he's hardly been banging them in as it is, when a striker doesn't score often they'll always question their ability and he clearly didn't feel as though he could trust himself to score. 

2 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

always have to have a scapegoat , wouldn't be owlstalk without one 

Trev - how can he stand on the centre line and watch Hutch limp up to take the first penalty - bizarre.

Guest beckford

Very sad and disappointed to see you lose tonight. Wanted you to go up this season because a) I think you're a Prem sized club unlike Hudds/Reading, b) I know the pain of losing a Champ play-off final then semi-final consecutively like in 04/05 and 05/05 at PNE, and c) I think you'll be a major threat again next season.

As for Rhodes, thought I would comment having seen the news on social media before. If you've got a £10m 40k a week striker not wanting to take a pen in the play-off you should roger him off ASAP and start recruiting the right characters instead of just proven 'names' who cost massive dough to recruit.

All the best again next season, apart from the games against us of course. Hopefully our players don't starting fighting each other again next season!

I'm going to swim against the tide here and choose not to dog pile on Rhodes.

Everybody is frustrated and upset. Everybody is dissapointed. I think in the coming days people will start to analyse things a bit more carefully on the basis of a full season.

Rhodes, for me, is symbolic of some of the issues we've had all season. He's not alone is he. We've - in my opinion and by some margin - the strongest strike force in this division. We've got at least 3, perhaps 4 strikers who individually could be 20+ goal a season men. None of them have been for us. We've struggled to put teams away and score enough goals all season. We've consistently failed to deliver proper service to strikers, be it to Rhodes, to Hooper, to Forrestieri or to Fletcher. 

Rhodes has come into that mid season, after struggling with appearances and fitness at Boro, and he's struggled. For whatever reason, it's just not looked or been right for him. He's largely experienced the same issues our other strikers have, only with a more immediate expectation and a £10m price tag hanging over his head.

He's clearly lacking confidence. It's very evident. He's probably desperate to score goals here and for the first time in his career over the last 6-7 years he hasn't been. His last penalty was a miss in a crucial game at Leeds.

Of course you want characters. Of course you need leaders in a game like tonight. But I can also empathise - to a point - with players lacking confidence not wanting to step up to the plate if they don't feel they can do the business. Especially not if there are 5-7 players who have already volunteered to take one.

This is dissapointing to hear, don't get me wrong. But let's take a step back and look at the bigger picture rather than just destroy Rhodes. There are an absolute litany of potential issues here, not just tonight but over the season, that aren't his fault. 

If anybody's ever needed a full pre-season programme it's Rhodes. 

My feeling at the time was that he was an unnecessary addition, even more so after the Winnall signing. If we had ten million to spend it would have been better going on some more options out wide (Wallace and Reach are the only decent, dependable full-time wingers we have) or at centre back (where depth is much too thin and we were fortunate to get away with it). 

But my main problem with it was our style of play. What's the point of spending tons on a striker who will barely get any chances and is not that much better than the hordes of them you've already got?

The whole penalty line up was strange. Always think your 2 best should go first and last. Rhodes was bought to score goals... should have took one. Surprised Nuhiu didn't considering he's been a regular taker for us for the last few years. 

On telly Rhodes looked absolutely peed off when warming up clapping fans. 

He came obviously thinking he was going to be first choice centre forward with loads of service and he's neither ffs. 

Carlos said he wasn't confident to take a pen. Plst off and disillusioned more like. 

1 minute ago, trevdi9 said:

always have to have a scapegoat , wouldn't be owlstalk without one 

Come on Trev, star striker and usually a penalty taker, signed for big money.

We signed him for his composure and finishing - to take us to another level.

Its just not on that he bottled it. We need players who will give their total committment on that pitch for the club. 

You cant trust a player who with his pedigree should be begging to take a penalty. 

Its just not good enough. 

Doesn't liok like the old Jordan Rhodes to me, not as quick or as sharp in the box.

If we are going to pay the money hes got to find that again. Its clear hes low on confidence due to lack of goals. that is at least partly down to him, though I agree we dont create enough. 

I expected a lot more from him and tonight caps off his disappointing season, going missing when it came to pens 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Unfortunately he hasn't been good enough.  Money doesn't buy success...look at Udders!!

Nuhiu takes all that stick for 3-4 years for not being good enough, he must even think the same himself when seeing the players brought in since. But he at least had the balls to stand up tonight and say he'd take one.

Guest RocketOwl

Won't start a new thread on Rhodes. I've been his biggest critic since game 1. I stand by my comments after game 1 he's useless. Slow, weak and past it. Not taking a pen as a 10m striker is unforgivable and follows his pathetic performances from

day 1.

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, RichSheffWeds said:

It beggars belief that a guy, your £10m star striker on £60k plus a week signing for £10m refuses to take a penalty.

You really couldn't make it up.

If there was a way to back out of the transfer it would be wise to explore it.

Players with no bottle are no use to us.

Well I could have made it up.