Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

1 hour ago, RocketOwl said:

Can someome update me on his scoring record please?

And what will his deluded supporters trapped in a time warp say now his crazy stat isn't true.

Also would anyone defend a 10m striker not wanting to take a shot from 12 yards out?

fair play Hunt a defender has more bottle.

A big well done to all the players tonight who had the balls to take a penalty and the other two volunteers who did not get to take one.

If true, he doesn't belong at S6,

had enough bottlers and wage collectors here. he's a striker, he'd paid to strike a ball, be it, a shot, header or a penalty.

Last time I heard, penalties were a normal part of the game.

If we can get out of this stupid transfer deal, then so be it.

Again...I say.... IF true, because quite frankly, what Carlos says and thinks is beyond me and most people.

If he genuinely didn't feel up to taking a pen then surely hes within his rights to say so and CC should use someone else? We've all seen quality players miss crucial pens for England; it really doesn't seem to matter how talented the player is.  

I guess Rhodes had the added pressure of it being against his old club and also on the back of the agreed save etc. I get it that people will want to slaughter the lad for not stepping up, but I'm not in that camp. 

Edited by East Yorks Owl

5 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

If he genuinely didn't feel up to taking a pen then surely hes within his rights to say so and CC should use someone else? We've all seen quality players miss crucial pens for England; it really doesn't seem to matter how talented the player is.  

I guess Rhodes had the added pressure of it being against his old club and also on the back of the agreed save etc. I get it that people will want to slaughter the lad for not stepping up, but I'm not in that camp. 

Boo oo !  All that pressure........ maybe the thousands he gets a week for doing just what he didn't want to do, will help him get counselling.

If you and I turned round and said... you know what, I'm not working today, because I'm crap scared.... what would happen ?

16 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

He's paid THOUSANDS per week.... to do what he bottled

No he's not, he's paid TENS of thousands per week. 

Fair enough he's not had the best time of it here. He's not had the service, he's not been able to nail down a place in the side and he missed his last penalty. But your big players have to step up in the big moments, simple as that. 

Don't know if it's been posted in this thread already, but in the famous Huddersfield v P*gs Playoff final shootout that everyone bar the kitmen had a go Rhodes wasn't in the first 5 takers. I believe he was 6th or 7th.

Confidence in that situation is obviously an issue for him.

But what's worse? Saying you fancy it when you don't and then missing? Or being honest and letting more confident players take one?

When it comes down to those situations it's more physiological than technical. The best players miss penalties when under pressure. Cut Rhodes some slack.

Great move by Carlos. Chuck your highest-profile player under the bus and we forget to talk about why anyone needed to take a penalty. 

8 shots in 180 minutes of football. 

We were lucky it got to penalties. 

Just now, southportdc said:

Great move by Carlos. Chuck your highest-profile player under the bus and we forget to talk about why anyone needed to take a penalty. 

Very good point.

We were dire over the two legs, played to avoid losing rather than to win. Job done, we got two draws against them. What now?

Just seen it sorry for asking for proof. Think it's a cr@py move by Carlos if honest pass abit of firing line to one of players. Any other game if a player not confident then good on him admitting it. don't want unconfidence taking one cause if miss then bad move again. End of day well done for being honest Rhodes. But CC outing in is rubbish like a stab on back passing some of heat to him I think

4 minutes ago, southportdc said:

Highest paid striker that doesn't want to strike a ball....... but fair point too, deflection from Carlos that his useless tactics have reduced ( On paper ) one of the most ruthless strike forces, into former shadows of themselves.

5 hours ago, MAL said:

So, we have to slag a player off, just because he is going to cost a lot of money, for not wanting to take a palanty against a former club.

He came on as a sub, then his first 3 (i think) contributions made the keeper save two, and created one for someone else.

Well Pisssed of tonight, but Jordan Rhodes is well down the pecking order.

In open play he plays on instinct, penalties are a different kettle of fish.

Funny how most of the posters, have not many posts to their name.

Really. Is that why he has scored 13 penalties for Blackburn? Plus what playing against your former club got to with it. He is a professional. He bottled it. End of.

4 hours ago, English Man said:

Met Neil Lennon tonight. He was watching the Wednesday game in a pub in Edinburgh. Really wanted us to win and was cheering us on but rates Rhodes as a bobbar/overrated footballer. Thinks he can finish but can't run to save his life. Loves Hooper though. 

He's true tbh, his lack of pace now is scary. Not sharp in front of goal either and isn't worth the money.

Hooper was our biggest miss. He made the difference with our great run in, with his link up play. But isn't reliable enough to stay fit.