Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

13 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Absolute boll0cks.

Have you got a copy of the official list of penalty takers?

Naw, didn't think so.

Best side won, penalties irrelevant.

Didn't Carlos say he didn't want to take one when been interviewed?

Guest addedtime
1 minute ago, Spookone said:

Didn't Carlos say he didn't want to take one when been interviewed?

Well he is the coach. He isn't allowed to take one.

Hopefully we can find a way out of spending £10 million on this lad. He looks a shadow of the player I thought we were getting and seems to be very unfit for a pro. I saw him tracking back last night and he looked totally knackered in the second half like he was finishing a marathon. It might be confidence or lack of match practice to blame for his lack of goals but basic fitness is unforgivable.

Winnall should have been on the pitch, the lad adds the energy Rhodes doesn't have in his locker. You can see now why Boro didn't fancy Rhodes in the team.I so wanted this to work out but we don't get enough quality balls in the 6 yard box for him to be a success here and without his goals we are effectively playing a man light every time he steps on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

So did Rhodes refuse to take one or did he tell CC he wasn't confident?

I've read both versions on Twitter/here

If you listen to the Carvalhal interview he said 7 players volunteered to take them and they practiced in training (mentioned specifically Lees practising them) and said Rhodes did not want to take one because he wasn't confident. Carvalhal thought it would have been a mistake to make any player take one that didn't want to.

It's pretty simple - he didn't volunteer prior to game as others did.

I would expect any striker - especially the most expensive in our history to be begging to take one.

We bought him to make a difference - not to bottle big moments where big players show their worth. He's paid big money as a striker for a reason and it aint to bottle critical moments in our clubs history.

Even after sleeping on it, its still shocking.

I must admit, I am genuinely gutted about Rhodes since he's been here. I was one of the posters who was giddy as f*** when he signed as I really thought he would make the difference. Ok, he's not had the best of chances or service etc.... but his lack of mobility is astonishing, he runs like he has concrete in his boots. The lad seemingly & desperately needs a full pre-season at the very, very least. Looks a shadow of his former self.

If we have to or want to sign him and he stays, then Jordan has a heck of a lot to do to get on the good side of fans here next season. Not just talking about tonight, but this really ignites frustration further. When you are on such big money, not fancying in big moments is totally unacceptable.

Isnt it just a transfer like on FM though, when its an option to sign for £___m?

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He wasn't confident so didn't put his name forward. He didn't refuse as no player gets asked directly.

2 minutes ago, modboy said:

really unprofessional of CC to bring that up however. Should have stayed in house

Yeah. 

Sort of dug him out there hasn't he. 

Not the best man management in the world. 

11 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

If you listen to the Carvalhal interview he said 7 players volunteered to take them and they practiced in training (mentioned specifically Lees practising them) and said Rhodes did not want to take one because he wasn't confident. Carvalhal thought it would have been a mistake to make any player take one that didn't want to.

It's pretty simple - he didn't volunteer prior to game as others did.

I would expect any striker - especially the most expensive in our history to be begging to take one.

We bought him to make a difference - not to bottle big moments where big players show their worth. He's paid big money as a striker for a reason and it aint to bottle critical moments in our clubs history.

Even after sleeping on it, its still shocking.

I genuinely don't understand this post.

You start off by explaining quite well how and why Rhodes ended up not taking a penalty, and why it would be an error to force him to do so, then go into a rant about him bottling it.

What's the benefit to the team in somebody already lacking confidence, and having previously highlighted their desire not to take one, stepping up? Especially when there are 7 others infront of him who have volunteered to take one?

How much the lad cost has nothing to do with it, as much as some of you want to try and force into being a real factor. Michael Owen is one of the best natural goalscorers this country has ever produced and his conversion rate from the spot is notoriously woeful. "He's our lead striker/he cost £10m so he should take one" is overly simplistic nonsense.

As I said in a previous post, the lad is desperate for a full pre-season and - arguably - a change in management, tactics and philosophy of the players and system around him. All this "can we back out of the deal?" talk is dreadful and not what we need.

Carlos' biggest personal success from last night seems to be in creating a viable scapegoat.

3 minutes ago, modboy said:

really unprofessional of CC to bring that up however. Should have stayed in house

Staton asked him why Rhodes didn't take a penalty. Do you expect him to lie and make something up? Hes being honest, its Rhodes who made the decision and has to live with it now.

1 minute ago, swfc-dan said:

Staton asked him why Rhodes didn't take a penalty. Do you expect him to lie and make something up? Hes being honest, its Rhodes who made the decision and has to live with it now.

Not speaking about individual players has been one of Carlos' Mantras. If his head had been in the right place he'd have 100% dodged the question.

It could have been the emotions of the moment bringing Carlos' guard down, but IMO his mind is already elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He just didn't volunteer. A lack of action rather than an action.

31 minutes ago, SiJ said:

As for Rhodes performance last night...

I could swear he'd rejoined Huddersfield, seeing as every time the ball went near him they regained possession. 

He also had a quarter of our shots in the entire tie in that time.

7 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

"The order was down to me, I picked the 5 that I thought gave us the best chance to win"

is what he should really have said.

6 minutes ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

"The order was down to me, I picked the 5 that I thought gave us the best chance to win"

is what he should really have said.

Yes I think CC could have handled it better and give more of a politicians answer then hang a player out to dry.

But I wouldn't be too harsh on CC for this probably not thinking straight 15 mins after a big defeat.

2 things wrong here

Rhodes should really have taken a pen, but as Brian Laws said on RS that players should always have the option and if they don't fancy it then always go for the ones that do. it should be no issue if a player at that point doesn't think he can do what's best for the team

Carlos shouldn't have thrown Rhodes under the bus like he did. It will put a considerable strain on the relationship. there was no need to say what he did. He should have protected his players as this point.

He needed to be a little bit cuter with his response and given a bit more of a political answer. As it is some wednesday fans are using Rhodes as a scapegoat when in fact we were outplayed for much of both legs