Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

Can't blame Hutch or FF if no one else was willing. Can imagine in the talk before the penalties...Hutch saying, FFS...OK I'll take the first one then. FF never looked like scoring but again if no one else, I bet he didn't fancy it but thought obliged.

Confidence has been lacking in both games for some reason, not just the pens.

I bet loads thought we had foooked when seeing the pen takers,  my only hope was Westwood playing a blinder and saving 3 of hudds

Guest Ash76
4 minutes ago, Wednesday-Wonderland said:

He's arguably the best Championship striker in history. This is bad however you dress it up.

No problem if people don't want to take pens and Carlos is right not to try and force the issue.

Putting that aside though he's not good enough for a side wanting promotion. Never wanted him in the first place 

19 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

It beggars belief that a guy, your £10m star striker on £60k plus a week signing for £10m refuses to take a penalty.

You really couldn't make it up.

If there was a way to back out of the transfer it would be wise to explore it.

Players with no bottle are no use to us.

Agree esp with last bit. He looks weak, uncoordinated and nowhere as incisive as Winnall, who must feel furious. Wednesday should drop the transfer idea.

Rhodes hasn't looked up to it ever since he arrived. Think many were just to afraid to admit it.

He seems to have lost his pace, I haven't once seen him outpace a player and running back to defend today looked like he was almost jogging.

To not be up for a penalty in a big match as a striker is ludicrous. He needs to think what is he doing out there if he lets one penalty moment affect him, I think he's just low on confidence as he hasn't been scoring.

1 minute ago, Ash76 said:

No problem if people don't want to take pens and Carlos is right not to try and force the issue.

Putting that aside though he's not good enough for a side wanting promotion. Never wanted him in the first place 

Load of baloney. Thats what he is employed to do

18 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

It beggars belief that a guy, your £10m star striker on £60k plus a week signing for £10m refuses to take a penalty.

You really couldn't make it up.

If there was a way to back out of the transfer it would be wise to explore it.

Players with no bottle are no use to us.

I can't help but agree with this.

The players in any team need to believe in each other.

CC is definitely off if his prepared to divulge that about his goalkeeping coaches son.

I think this is more deflection in the heat of the moment rather than anything else.

If the lad did not feel confident taking a penalty then it's the right decision for him not to step up and take one, as the manager having that information 1st hand you'd never force the issue.

5 players wanted the task and did so - fair play to them for that, doesn't mean Rhodes is any less of player for speaking his mind.

4 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Should be ashamed. 

Joe Public can complain about money of footballers, wahatever. Wages and price tag don't make you an instant world beater, the "I'd chop my wee wee tail off to take a pen" crowd etc, but when you are brought in at that price. To not secure a place in the team and to then not put your name down for a pen before defenders and Hutch etc takes the flipping wee wee.

No defending him. You have a lot to do next season Jordan.

No room for him. CC brought in too many players and teamwork has suffered.

16 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Carvalhal said 7 players volunteered - the 5 plus Nuihu and Tom Lees. 

We cant have players at this club with no bottle.

its a joke.

What is a joke is that the penalty list wasn't sorted before kick off (yes I appreciate there will be subs but surely a manager knows his best pen takers rather than asking for volunteers), or is that just arrogance from us thinking it was a forgone conclusion? Hands up boys who wants to take one? Very professional. 

2 minutes ago, WAWAW1867 said:

Obviously you'd expect him to take a penalty but if he's not confident of scoring is there any point in putting him in your top 5 penalty takers? If he's not confident he's limiting his chances of scoring really. 

Record signing isnt he? Striker isnt he? Shows a lack of character of you ask me. Recors signing and no character. No thanks. He can go.

15 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Forget the penalties, it was tight over 2 legs but the best footballing team won.

We need to have a re-think next season as we should be doing better given the amount of money spent. We've been far too negative this season.

We came 4th- probably about right for our budget. 

Really disappointed in Rhodes tonight & not the mentality you want in the team, we need strong characters in the team, who will stand up & be counted when needed...

None of us could go to work tomorrow and say "I don't fancy it"  and watch our colleagues put their neck on the line

Im not doubting that he is a great striker with an excellent pedigree. But some times in life you have to push yourself out of the comfort zone, otherwise it will be a fear for all time..just devastated