Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

It seems a strange situation to me first of all carlos was wrong to hang him out if we have signed him on a permanent deal he needed to protect him unless carlos himself is on his way and was just being honest.

On to rhodes himself its not a great look. Obviously it has nothing to do with why we lost but character speaks for everything in the game and its important when signing players. Stuff like this shapes careers the best players get up take a pen miss it come back and do it again, thinking of the stuart pearces of this world.

Before the game I said it was good that rhodes and reach didnt start as they were just a bit too nice for these type of games for me these kind of players dont win much in the game. I remember the last game of the season against palace a few years back and that was a team of 'men' who wanted it against our mentally weak players. The same appies to brighton thi year they just look mentaly strong. Mentality is so much of the game you only need to look at a player like joao crying when he lost his tooth. you give him the mentality of a costa and he'd have every chance to become the best striker in the world.

I don't want to disparage the guy he seems like a good guy and in the wider world thats great but on a footballing level they it wont win you much and we need to sign players who are strong mentally, a few months ago against leeds he was obviously considered the best pen taker at the club to now have such a mental crisis that he cant even take one in the biggest game of the season is not what you want from your centre forward regardless of what he cost.

15 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Pitch fork brigade are out in force I see.

We lost not because Rhodes didn't take a penalty, but because we failed to see the game out after we'd gone one up. 

I'd imagine a similar scape goat thread would've been created if he'd taken one and missed. 

Hes taken two pens since 2015, he missed one of them....and he's had a bit of goal draught since joining us. So I can understand that his confidence wouldn't be too high. 

I think Carlos made a mistake saying that, because the local media and our drama queen fans will latch onto it all summer now.

This is absolutely spot on.  The poison queens will be loving this, I can just imagine them frothing at the mouth waiting for their carers to let them loose on the PC.

your best penalty taker should take the first one, on paper that is Rhodes. He steps up first and slots it away, the whole mindset is completely different.

End of the day, he is putting that burden of missing onto someone else, cos anyone else was more likely to miss

Poor form from him. If you're a striker you should accept you're taking the penalty no matter how nervous you are

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

your best penalty taker should take the first one, on paper that is Rhodes. He steps up first and slots it away, the whole mindset is completely different.

End of the day, he is putting that burden of missing onto someone else, cos anyone else was more likely to miss

Poor form from him. If you're a striker you should accept you're taking the penalty no matter how nervous you are

"Your best penalty taker"

How is he our best penalty taker? He's taken one, and missed it. 

He's taken 2 pens since 2015.

If we go by "your best panalty taker" then surely Nuhiu should've stepped up before Hunt, Hutchinson or Bannan? 

Just now, bigdan2003 said:

"Your best penalty taker"

How is he our best penalty taker? He's taken one, and missed it. 

He's taken 2 pens since 2015.

If we go by "your best panalty taker" then surely Nuhiu should've stepped up before Hunt, Hutchinson or Bannan? 

because his record from the spot is excellent, nearly le tissier level

13 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

because his record from the spot is excellent, nearly le tissier level

Based on the stats I've just read on transfermarkt.co.uk Rhodes misses 1 in 5 penalties.

He's apparently taken 19 and missed 4.

According to the same website Le Tissier didn't miss one.

4 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

It's not about stats, it's about confidence. 

Well yeah, obviously, but I am criticising him for his lack of confidence in this situation. He's a proven penalty taker and should be more confident of scoring than the likes of Hutch and Hunt

Just now, RobHowe said:

Based on the stats I've just read on transfermarkt.co.uk Rhodes misses 1 in 5 penalties.

He's apparently taken 19 and missed 4.

According to the same website Le Tissier didn't miss one.

still a very good record and better than anyone else in the side

4 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

It's not about stats, it's about confidence. 

Exactly this.

As I posted earlier in this thread, Rhodes wasn't in the 1st five takers when Huddersfield beat the P*gs at Wembley a few years ago.

He was 6th or 7th.

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well yeah, obviously, but I am criticising him for his lack of confidence in this situation. He's a proven penalty taker and should be more confident of scoring than the likes of Hutch and Hunt

How can you criticise someone for lack of confidence? It's not an exact science, you can't just switch it off when you want. 

It's not like he woke up one day and said "you know what, I fancy having a lack of confidence"

8 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Imagine if Nuhiu had took one and missed.

Actually there would have been a meltdown if Bannan had missed his too.

Yes and they'd have known this so to their credit that they had the sweetbreads to put their hands up.

My main gripe in all of this is that CC should have kept this private. His support of Rhodes the following day suggested to me that he knows this himself and let his guard down at a very low point for him. This thread reinforces this view IMO. Rhodes is a quality finisher whose confidence seems shot at the moment.

3 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

How can you criticise someone for lack of confidence? It's not an exact science, you can't just switch it off when you want. 

It's not like he woke up one day and said "you know what, I fancy having a lack of confidence"

Because he's a 10m striker, he should be more confident in his ability than the likes of Hutchinson who stepped up like a man. What don't you get? 

3 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Bannan's is the same ratio. Taken 5 missed 1.

Ratio yes but Rhodes has taken and scored a lot more!!!

Think anyone who is making Jordan Rhodes a scapegoat is daft.

But IMO he has left himself open to criticism by asking not to take a pen. Yes I know it was a pressure situation and if he wasn't nervous he wouldn't be human I understand all that. But he is paid a reported £50k per week to deal with situations like that.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think anyone who is making Jordan Rhodes a scapegoat is daft.

But IMO he has left himself open to criticism by asking not to take a pen. Yes I know it was a pressure situation and if he wasn't nervous he wouldn't be human I understand all that. But he is paid a reported £50k per week to deal with situations like that.

Good balanced post. IMO this shouldn't have come out though for the good of player and club but it has I agree revealed a flaw in JR's character. I remain a fan of his however and believe that with a change of approach next season we'll see his goal scoring exploits return to our huge benefit.

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Ratio yes but Rhodes has taken and scored a lot more!!!

Your point was that his record was better than anyone else.

I guess it depends how you look at it.

I'd argue purely on conversion rate he's no more successful than the players I've mentioned, plus Fessi and Hooper & Fletcher (granted not on the pitch at the time) are very close to the same conversion rate. 

Using your our point of penalties scored Rhodes has also missed more than the others have.

He missed his last one.

His confidence is obviously shot.

Would you rather he'd taken one instead of Jack Hunt and blazed it over the bar?