Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

5 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Not read the thread but if Carlos did come out and say this I think it's poor. Should have stayed private between player and manager. 

If you think any criticism on social media is bad you have no idea what his dad would have said...he's his biggest critic bar non

3 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

If you think any criticism on social media is bad you have no idea what his dad would have said...he's his biggest critic bar non

Social media criticism by fans is one thing. Those types of comments in public by the coaching staff achieve little but hey ho we have a 14+ page thread on it which shows it attracted attention. Not sure what the intent was though. 

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to take a penalty for Sheffield Wednesday just look at your reactions, I expected Nuhiu to step up because he can take a pen we've seen it previously but my missus rightly pointed out on the way home he'd have put his swfc career on the line.

he's crucified for doing his job by those who know nothing about football despite claiming to have watched it for 50 years,  can you imagine if he'd missed to send us out.

I'll probably get negged to death for this and I understand you are hurting but FFS have a word with yourselves, 

Human being has emotion shock.

It's Embarrassing!

15 minutes ago, CS5swfc said:

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to take a penalty for Sheffield Wednesday just look at your reactions, I expected Nuhiu to step up because he can take a pen we've seen it previously but my missus rightly pointed out on the way home he'd have put his swfc career on the line.

he's crucified for doing his job by those who know nothing about football despite claiming to have watched it for 50 years,  can you imagine if he'd missed to send us out.

I'll probably get negged to death for this and I understand you are hurting but FFS have a word with yourselves, 

It's Embarrassing!

This, it staggers me that people are making such a big deal about it Penalties are a different ball game it's more to do with mentality rather than ability any footballer should be able to stick it in the net from 12 yards but that's not the battle it comes down to confidence and individual belief, It's a s**t and cruel way to lose but we shouldn't be berating players over a penalty shoot out

Edited by s6 owl

This is ridiculous, if a player feels confident to take one over someone who doesn't then that's the way to go, regardless of their position or market value.

cant see the sense in slating Rhodes and making scapegoats, he couldn't win could he really, had he taken one and missed then he'd be getting slated anyway.

pressure at that level is intense and we have no idea if we could handle it either

I think Rhodes needs to get a bit more aggressive/nasty if he can, I know it may not be his nature. 

The Middlesbrough move clearly knocked him. A big summer ahead and Carlos needs to stop using him as the player with their back to goal if he stays.

11 minutes ago, thekimmyowl said:

This is ridiculous, if a player feels confident to take one over someone who doesn't then that's the way to go, regardless of their position or market value.

cant see the sense in slating Rhodes and making scapegoats, he couldn't win could he really, had he taken one and missed then he'd be getting slated anyway.

pressure at that level is intense and we have no idea if we could handle it either

Agreed. For me it's not that he should've taken one though, rather that our forwards clearly weren't confident in themselves in the key moment. I think it's something we need to break through as a team next season.

6 hours ago, CS5swfc said:

It's Embarrassing!

So what. They put there careers on the line every game. Its their job of a footballer. Its what they chose to do. 

5 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

Fed up of this now , eyup i know lets have a go at fletcher for making a ballsup when he should have burried it after bannans pin point pass ,cost us the game that did WTF:

At least he was there to attempt it

9 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Not read the thread but if Carlos did come out and say this I think it's poor. Should have stayed private between player and manager. 

He was specifically asked about it, what could he say?

It was his decision, it was Rhodes's decision or refuse to comment.

Lie, truth or dodge the question which makes it into an even bigger deal.

9 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

He was asked a direct question about an individual player in his second language while in an emotional state.

His only mistake was in being too honest about who said what during the "selection process."

Disappointed supporters now acting like journalists in looking for someone/something to blame and make folk angry.

8 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

He was asked a direct question about an individual player in his second language while in an emotional state.

His only mistake was in being too honest about who said what during the "selection process."

Disappointed supporters now acting like journalists in looking for someone/something to blame and make folk angry.

The blame lies witb CC. He is responsible for the season and ultimately he will leave in the week in my opinion. I dont believe anyone is blaming rhodes or any other players for not getting promoted this season. The rhodes penalty is a different thing in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, billyblack said:

The blame lies witb CC. He is responsible for the season and ultimately he will leave in the week in my opinion. I dont believe anyone is blaming rhodes or any other players for not getting promoted this season. The rhodes penalty is a different thing in my opinion.

This thread is about Rhodes costing 10m quid and not being man enough to take a penalty which he was 100% going to score if he had because he cost 10m quid.

The other angle in this thread is that CC deviously hung out JR to dry for saying he didn't fancy it to deflect attention from the fact that he and his team had just lost.

I don't think either point is true.

Is CC responsible for us finishing 4th and losing out on penalties to a team who finished below us only on goal difference after a series of poor results whilst resting players and practicing defending leads whilst having until quite recently been the only team to challenge the top two positions during the season and when assured of their spot in the play offs?

Then yes, he is responsible.

I would understand if we were perhaps lamenting the loss of our player of the season less than 2 minutes into the game a bit more.

Although I wouldn't agree I could probably understand criticism of Hutch and FF missing their penalties, the first and last, one that put us on the back foot and the other to keep us in it but no.

There's an agenda.  If JR had taken one and missed and we'd gone out then there would be a, "How can a striker costing 10m miss a fuckingpenalty thread."

We lost to a team who over the season were just a bit better than us.

They have less fans, have spent less, have loan players, use clappers, haven't done much for years blah blah blah so fuckingwhat!

In a strange way justice was done so let's just deal with it with a bit of dignity and move on instead of searching for targets of blame to vent our anger on.  

2 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

This thread is about Rhodes costing 10m quid and not being man enough to take a penalty which he was 100% going to score if he had because he cost 10m quid.

The other angle in this thread is that CC deviously hung out JR to dry for saying he didn't fancy it to deflect attention from the fact that he and his team had just lost.

I don't think either point is true.

Is CC responsible for us finishing 4th and losing out on penalties to a team who finished below us only on goal difference after a series of poor results whilst resting players and practicing defending leads whilst having until quite recently been the only team to challenge the top two positions during the season and when assured of their spot in the play offs?

Then yes, he is responsible.

I would understand if we were perhaps lamenting the loss of our player of the season less than 2 minutes into the game a bit more.

Although I wouldn't agree I could probably understand criticism of Hutch and FF missing their penalties, the first and last, one that put us on the back foot and the other to keep us in it but no.

There's an agenda.  If JR had taken one and missed and we'd gone out then there would be a, "How can a striker costing 10m miss a fuckingpenalty thread."

We lost to a team who over the season were just a bit better than us.

They have less fans, have spent less, have loan players, use clappers, haven't done much for years blah blah blah so fuckingwhat!

In a strange way justice was done so let's just deal with it with a bit of dignity and move on instead of searching for targets of blame to vent our anger on.  

Yes CC is responsible. He is responsible for our entire season right to the end. Tactics, players everything. Thats his remit. He got close, very close. But not close enough. 

11 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Yes CC is responsible. He is responsible for our entire season right to the end. Tactics, players everything. Thats his remit. He got close, very close. But not close enough. 

He got us to 4th.  The plsy-offs are a lottery is a well worn phrase.

With hindsight how close were we over the season to Newcastle and Brighton?  I'd argue not that far off  in one off games but not quite as close as Huddersfield over the full season.

It all then comes down to expectations of CC from above and below but you can't make a judgement based purely on jumping from play off final losers to automatic promotion the following year without weighing in the effect of that loss alongside player recruitment, teams coming down etc etc.

I don't care what anyone says but the loss at Wembley has weighed heavy on this season in so many key ways, the main ones being CC's approach to this season and the fans' expectations from this season.  I stand by my statement of a few weeks back.  I think we did well to get back in there based on what could have happened and I think that if we'd made the final this year we would have gone up. Not based on Reading being tinpot or somehow less deserving but based on stats, experience and psychology.  

God, a Wednesdayite, obviously has a different way and is saving it for next season.

I have seen very little (if any) criticism of the players that stepped up to take penalties and missed. Just one of those things.

This goes a lot deeper though.

Its about character/commitment and our club getting value for money from its employees.

I want players who will go on the pitch and give everything to the cause. I honestly don't want players who have taken penalties all their career, who are natural goal scorers that cannot turn up on big, critical occasions. We paid big money because we expect him to perform when needed, to add value.

It is not a witch hunt - its about what are we getting for our money right now at this stage of his career at his age. He seems like a genuinely nice lad but that means nothing - the club have to be ruthless.

For too long in the past we had players stealing a living from our club - Rhodes aside, we need to recruit players hungry to succeed and willing to step up when needed.

1 hour ago, sonofbert2 said:

I've not seen it as I'm aware so don't know the details. In general terms I prefer this sort of stuff to stay private. 

Pitch fork brigade are out in force I see.

We lost not because Rhodes didn't take a penalty, but because we failed to see the game out after we'd gone one up. 

I'd imagine a similar scape goat thread would've been created if he'd taken one and missed. 

Hes taken two pens since 2015, he missed one of them....and he's had a bit of goal draught since joining us. So I can understand that his confidence wouldn't be too high. 

I think Carlos made a mistake saying that, because the local media and our drama queen fans will latch onto it all summer now.

Edited by bigdan2003

7 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Pitch fork brigade are out in force I see.

We lost not because Rhodes didn't take a penalty, but because we failed to see the game out after we'd gone one up. 

I'd imagine a similar scape goat thread would've been created if he'd taken one and missed. 

Hes taken two pens since 2015, he missed one of them....and he's had a bit of goal draught since joining us. So I can understand that his confidence wouldn't be too high. 

I think Carlos made a mistake saying that, because the local media and our drama queen fans will latch onto it all summer now.

Spot on. We lost because we were generally negative and shyte for 210 mins, not because 1 player with a complete lack of confidence didn't want to take a penalty.