Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

In general, I think more penalties are being missed these days compared with say, 10 seasons ago. Just my impression, I have no stats to back this up.

Also, again just my impression, penalty takers are more likely to be strikers these days whereas in the ' olden days' they came from all round the team. The best SWFC penalty takers in my memory are Mark Smith and Mel Sterland, both defenders. I also remember the likes of Ray Stewart and Julian Dicks at West Ham, and obviously Stuart Pearce and Leighton Baines had fantastic records.

Perhaps strikers are too eager take penalties these days to boost their goal tally?

Look, if Rhodes didn't want to take one then fair enough. I think people are on his back a bit because it doesn't show great character ( though some would say it was a brave thing to admit he didn't fancy it ) , and it adds to the whole ' Rhodes problem' that we have - and , as a club, we do have an issue with him.

5 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

Yes and they'd have known this so to their credit that they had the sweetbreads to put their hands up.

My main gripe in all of this is that CC should have kept this private. His support of Rhodes the following day suggested to me that he knows this himself and let his guard down at a very low point for him. This thread reinforces this view IMO. Rhodes is a quality finisher whose confidence seems shot at the moment.

CC was caught off guard and answered a question designed to cause trouble a bit too honestly in the moment.

They've probably squared it up between them.

Our fans harping on about it is just what the journo wanted.

12 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Because he's a 10m striker, he should be more confident in his ability than the likes of Hutchinson who stepped up like a man. What don't you get? 

I knew that one was coming next. 

Price tag and wages does not automatically mean a players mental health should be at invincible levels. It's not a computer game.

Its quite frankly a pathetic argument to make. 

By your theory surely Hurchinson should've been stronger and not cried after missing, because he's paid a lot. Being paid a lot means you're not allowed emotions. 

5 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Price tag and wages does not automatically mean a players mental health should be at invincible levels. It's not a computer game.

By your theory surely Hurchinson should've been stronger and not cried after missing, because he's paid a lot. Being paid a lot means you're not allowed emotions. 

You are right, but as a professional you have to manage those emotions, let it out after

12 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Errrm

ok.

Well he didn't score many or do a lot but he had great confidence in himself......

Normally the people with great stats have great stats because they have a lot of self belief.

15 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

CC was caught off guard and answered a question designed to cause trouble a bit too honestly in the moment.

They've probably squared it up between them.

Our fans harping on about it is just what the journo wanted.

Yes 100% agree with all of this. I was disappointed with CC when he let it slip but his words the following day indicated that he'd do it differently if cornered in such a fashion again. He was probably dazed from events and undoubtedly his guard was down.

Edited by Dagmeister

9 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

But surely in the modern game it should be factored in, the argument being you spend that level of money you also look into his personality traits, the assumption being the top clubs look for people they believe can handle the pressure of the club ie the likes mouriniho and ibrahimovic being good fits for a club the size of man u. It just seems like ever diminishing returns as to what we actually get for our money. Most who had followed his career understood his all round game was not great but he scored goals given chances, now it seems that he isn't good at taking chances under pressure.

45 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

It's not about stats, it's about confidence. 

Heres a different way of looking at it.

CC brought Rhodes when its clear now the lad is suffering in confidence to the point he doesn't want to take a penalty. Wonder how Winnall feels about this. The lad scored last week yet is still behind someone who looks like he's terrified at the minute. If Rhodes is that low he should have left him off the bench and brought McManaman or Buckley in instead, we still had Winnall and Nuhiu as strikers. 

Rhodes was a whisker and an extremely good save away from grabbing what would have been the winner.  It was a great effort.

His face on the replay was one of, "What the fuckelse do I have to do to score?"

Someone put the clip up because it seems to have been erased from history.

Edited by sonofbert2

1 minute ago, sonofbert2 said:

Rhodes was a whisker and an extremely good save away from grabbing what would have been the winner.  It was a great effort.

His face on the replay was one of, "What the fuckelse do I have to do to score?"

Someone put the clip up because it seems to have been erased from history.

It was a good effort, I agree. Is he lacking in confidence or not?

1 hour ago, trask43 said:

But surely in the modern game it should be factored in, the argument being you spend that level of money you also look into his personality traits, the assumption being the top clubs look for people they believe can handle the pressure of the club ie the likes mouriniho and ibrahimovic being good fits for a club the size of man u. It just seems like ever diminishing returns as to what we actually get for our money. Most who had followed his career understood his all round game was not great but he scored goals given chances, now it seems that he isn't good at taking chances under pressure.

He clearly can handle pressure, and he clearly has decent personality traits....he works his gonads off for the team, and has been a part of the team that secured 6 wins on the trot. 

He stepped up and took the pen at Leeds.    He's taken penalties before, he can clearly do it when in the right frame of mind. 

Confidence isn't something that you can just switch on because you're earning a lot - that's my point.  His lack of confidence has probably grown for sometime, it's probably been there since he was warming the bench at Boro. 

Moutain of our molehill comes to mind. 

Personally over the moon he's here. Gutted he didn't hit the ground running, but I think that's as much to do with how we've been playing rather than him. He'll come back stronger next season with a preseason under his belt. 

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

Heres a different way of looking at it.

CC brought Rhodes when its clear now the lad is suffering in confidence to the point he doesn't want to take a penalty. Wonder how Winnall feels about this. The lad scored last week yet is still behind someone who looks like he's terrified at the minute. If Rhodes is that low he should have left him off the bench and brought McManaman or Buckley in instead, we still had Winnall and Nuhiu as strikers. 

But but Winnall earns a lot, he should be professional, he shouldn't have feelings.

lol

2 hours ago, RobHowe said:

Your point was that his record was better than anyone else.

I guess it depends how you look at it.

I'd argue purely on conversion rate he's no more successful than the players I've mentioned, plus Fessi and Hooper & Fletcher (granted not on the pitch at the time) are very close to the same conversion rate. 

Using your our point of penalties scored Rhodes has also missed more than the others have.

He missed his last one.

His confidence is obviously shot.

Would you rather he'd taken one instead of Jack Hunt and blazed it over the bar?

well you're going by ratios, which you can't, because in the same manner it could be argued that Francis Jeffers is England's best striker with his 100% scoring record

2 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

We're a million miles off from each other, will have to agree to disagree :) 

There's a huge difference between having the natural goal poachers instinct, to be able to make a decision in a split second and bang a shot away  and having to walk up from the half way line and after a wait, hit a dead ball.

Warhurst in his amazing 18 in 18 run was scoring off pure instinct.  It didn’t see Trevor suddenly put him on all free kick and penalty duties.  They are two very different disciplines.

I’m not sure why people find that hard to fathom.

Rhodes didn’t feel confident.  Well, maybe it actually took some balls to admit that in front of his team mates when he’s the £10m man.  Has anyone mentioned that?

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

well you're going by ratios, which you can't, because in the same manner it could be argued that Francis Jeffers is England's best striker with his 100% scoring record

But Jeffers IS England's best striker. Everyone knows that.

You can't argue with that stat.

But getting back to reality, would you - in a critical, high pressure situation - have a confident player who's either never taken a penalty, or taken very few, step up to take one?

Or would you rather have a player who has openly admitted to his coach that he's not confident, and who as he steps up to take the penalty could have images of the penalties he's missed before flash into his mind?

Give me the confident ones every time.

Remember these aren't pub footballers, I'll wager to a man they can all do things with a ball we can only dream of. And so putting a penalty away in a high pressure situation isn't about ability. They can all do it. But can they do it under pressure? It's all about what's in their head at the moment they step up.

If they're not confident they're more likely to miss IMO.

As I said, give me 5 confident defenders over 5 unconfident (is that a word?) strikers every time.

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

There's a huge difference between having the natural goal poachers instinct, to be able to make a decision in a split second and bang a shot away  and having to walk up from the half way line and after a wait, hit a dead ball.

Warhurst in his amazing 18 in 18 run was scoring off pure instinct.  It didn’t see Trevor suddenly put him on all free kick and penalty duties.  They are two very different disciplines.

I’m not sure why people find that hard to fathom.

Rhodes didn’t feel confident.  Well, maybe it actually took some balls to admit that in front of his team mates when he’s the £10m man.  Has anyone mentioned that?

Great point.

21 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

He clearly can handle pressure, and he clearly has decent personality traits....he works his gonads off for the team, and has been a part of the team that secured 6 wins on the trot. 

He stepped up and took the pen at Leeds.    He's taken penalties before, he can clearly do it when in the right frame of mind. 

Confidence isn't something that you can just switch on because you're earning a lot - that's my point.  His lack of confidence has probably grown for sometime, it's probably been there since he was warming the bench at Boro. 

Moutain of our molehill comes to mind. 

Personally over the moon he's here. Gutted he didn't hit the ground running, but I think that's as much to do with how we've been playing rather than him. He'll come back stronger next season with a preseason under his belt. 

I cant disagree with the sentiments, your right about confidence being not like a tap you can turn on and off. But to me the problem would then pass to carlos if your star striker is struggling then give someone else a go maybe winnall should have been the sub if hes in a better frame of mind as penalties was always on the cards and rhodes is arguably the best pen taker so it should be clear to him before the game that he'll be put up for doing this its his job unfortunately if finishing the ball from 12 yards is something he was not in a frame of mind to be doing he shouldn't be on the pitch as he doesn't bring much else.

Ultimately whatever the problems we all wish him the best and are glad hes at the club lets hope he turns it round here, its not guaranteed though and the game moves on fast and for me we have three better strikers than him.