Carlos/ Big Ron

big jack, wilko,and fat ron are the standouts for me ,,,carlos is in the level below along with  megson and sturrock .,,,,,,,,with the resources he's had i'd expect him to get us where we are and fair play to him he hasn't disappointed .

14 hours ago, Owls-Ya-Doin said:

Beat Arsenal 3-0 he's doing something right!

Potentially playoffs twice 2 seasons running! 

If we win playoffs them he's up there with RON! 

He's got a fantastic character I'd like to see him here for many years and build on his success! 

He aint in Rons shadow, if he'd got us automatic promotion and steered us to winning some silverware he probably should be there but he hasn't..

Seasons still going, if we get promoted and he dun't feck off then he might have sommat.

FWIW I think he would keep us up should we get there, then and only then will he be one of our greats..

My bars set, can he meet it?

31 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

No...but if we go up and he improves the club and manages to stay in the Prem against the millionaire clubs then yes...because Ron managed it on a fairly level playing field compared to now

Erm, it was Francis that improved the club and got us to stay in the top flight, Judas did a runner..

But I still love him lol

1 hour ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

Erm, it was Francis that improved the club and got us to stay in the top flight, Judas did a runner..

But I still love him lol

All about opinions, mine would be, we would have won more than the solitary League cup had Big Ron stayed at Hillsborough. Seems incredible to say it now, but maybe even the league title and then the chance to compete in the old European Cup instead of the Eufa cup. Nobody comes near him as both a manager and personality since I remember watching Wednesday. (Big Jack era to present). Loved Big Jack and Wilko but only Ron had me genuinely believing we could not only compete but also beat the big boys on a regular basis. Him and the players from his era till 93 all genuine Wednesday legends IMHO. 

Edited by OWL1969

Our only major silverware since 1930's and piecing together a bunch of misfits like Phil King, Palmer, Sheridan, Paul Williams, Roly, making Hirst believe he was the best striker in the league. 

Step forward Big Ron you racist, Judas Koontz!

We would have won league in that first season back up I'm sure of it. Dalian would have come back rather than go to Villa etc. 

5 hours ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

He aint in Rons shadow, if he'd got us automatic promotion and steered us to winning some silverware he probably should be there but he hasn't..

Seasons still going, if we get promoted and he dun't feck off then he might have sommat.

FWIW I think he would keep us up should we get there, then and only then will he be one of our greats..

My bars set, can he meet it?

He will smash your bar easy he's part of the Portuguese mafia you know! 

23 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Get a grip!

He needs to get us promoted first.

And then pick up players of the calibre of Nilsson, Palmer and Sheridan.

Then win the League Cup

So nearly there

You forgot to add the relegation from Division 1 in that list.

9 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

No...but if we go up and he improves the club and manages to stay in the Prem against the millionaire clubs then yes...because Ron managed it on a fairly level playing field compared to now

I don't know why but I have a feeling if we did get promoted then Carlos would step aside and leave us on a high. And that it was his task to get us promoted. Especially as his family is still in Portugal and he only seems to stay places for a couple of years 

BUT, I hope he does stay long term because he's my favourite manager since.. big Ron. 

9 hours ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

But I still love him lol

Big Ron massively improved the club.  He took over after years of under investment during Wilkinson's reign and then the disastrous period under Eustace.

He won our only trophy since 1935.

He signed:

Nilsson (for just 200K)!

Harkes (70k)!

Shirtliff (500K)

Viv Anderson (free)

King (450K)

Wilson (200K)

Palmer (750K)

Sheridan (500K)!!

Trevor Francis (free)

Dalian Atkinson (450k, sold a year later for 1.7m)!!

Williams (600K)

Gordon Watson (200K)

Pretty much an entire new team of absolute quality for very decent money.  If that's not improving the club I have no idea what is.

Edited by York_Owl

8 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Our only major silverware since 1930's and piecing together a bunch of misfits like Phil King, Palmer, Sheridan, Paul Williams, Roly, making Hirst believe he was the best striker in the league. 

Step forward Big Ron you racist, Judas Koontz!

We would have won league in that first season back up I'm sure of it. Dalian would have come back rather than go to Villa etc. 

I concur 

22 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Big Ron massively improved the club.  He took over after years of under investment during Wilkinson's reign and then the disastrous period under Eustace.

He signed:

Nilsson (for just 200K)!

Harkes (70k)!

Shirtliff (500K)

Viv Anderson (free)

King (450K)

Wilson (200K)

Palmer (750K)

Sheridan (500K)!!

Trevor Francis (free)

Williams (600K)

Gordon Watson (200K)

Pretty much an entire new team of absolute quality for very decent money.  If that's not improving the club I have no idea what is.

I don't dissagree with you at all tho how you can remember / find all those fees is beyond me.. lol

We should also remember that whilst those fees look modest by todays standard it was still a lot of money back then, especially for a relegated second division team.

Edited by Captain Sl-OWL-ly

14 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

He signed:

Nilsson (for just 200K)!

Harkes (70k)!

Shirtliff (500K)

Viv Anderson (free)

King (450K)

Wilson (200K)

Palmer (750K)

Sheridan (500K)!!

Trevor Francis (free)

Williams (600K)

Gordon Watson (200K)

We were paying a lot of money out for the time period , English football was on a low   No European football and our top players going abroad for far more than English clubs could afford. 

Wilkinson only a couple of years before had only a fraction of that money hence him leaving.

50 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

I don't dissagree with you at all tho how you can remember / find all those fees is beyond me.. lol

We should also remember that whilst those fees look modest by todays standard it was still a lot of money back then, especially for a relegated second division team.

That team is imprinted on my mind lol

The fees weren't big amounts even back then.  To give it some perspective (and I have had to look this up) Liverpool had a strikeforce of Rush and Beardsley who had cost £2.7m and £1.9m respectively.  Arsenal had spent £1.3m on Seaman.  Man Utd had spent £2.3m on Pallister, £1.8m on Hughes and £1.5m and £1m on Webb and Ince in midfield and even Southampton had spent £1m on Alan McLoughlin from Swindon!

Where does Trevor Francis fit in this equation?  Took us into Europe, took us to two cup finals in the same season. Not forgetting the players he brought to the club including Chris Waddle and Des Walker.