King Of Thailand Tribute - Bit weird?

We'd have been having a field day if another club did this a few years ago.

I'm not saying we shouldn't show respect to a man who has passed away, but two minutes for a man who very few of us had even heard of, when compared with one minute for Rememberance Day etc seems excessive.

Chansiri has brought us a long way and I think that's why most people are willing to tolerate it, but I think if everything goes pear-shaped like Fawaz/Venkys we'll look back on ourselves and think we looked stupid.

Ultimately the 2 minutes silence is in respect for a COUNTRY in mourning.

This COUNTRY happens to be the birth place of our mighty clubs owners.

If you cast your minds back to the level of grief shown when Princess Di passed, times this by 100 due to the level of affection felt by a higher majority of the relative populations and then maybe we can understand the outpouring of emotion for the passing of the Thai king, from the Thai people.

The least SWFC can do is pay our own respects to the Thai people, as are LCFC, bearing in mind the connection between our 2 countries through our respective football clubs

Edited by gazzamk2

Do we really think the 800 or whatever QPR fans are going to behave during this tribute? That's my problem with it 

Mind you, there have been some daft tributes down the years. Does anyone else remember some random game in the 70s when for some reason we were asked to honour the contribution of Tommy Trinder (a sort of post war chuckle brother) to the national game? Next thing we'll be naming stands after long jumpers!

22 minutes ago, VBQ24 said:

I'm not saying we shouldn't show respect to a man who has passed away, but two minutes for a man who very few of us had even heard of, when compared with one minute for Rememberance Day etc seems excessive.

Chansiri has brought us a long way and I think that's why most people are willing to tolerate it, but I think if everything goes pear-shaped like Fawaz/Venkys we'll look back on ourselves and think we looked stupid.

It's a free country mate, you can't be forced to observe it.   So feel free to do as you wish in the two minutes, i'm sure you can find something of real importance to do.

Good grief.

1 hour ago, VBQ24 said:

Another club is doing it

Leicester. 

"tolerate it"

What is the big deal here? Yes it's different. But i don't see much wrong with showing a bit of respect to the owner of the club. We do minutes silences all the time for people we don't know, albeit i know many of them have had affiliation with the club. Players and fans all over the place pay respect for things that have no affiliation to them personally. 

And why is this suddenly a competition for minute silences - comparing it to remembrance sunday and aberfan

"well Aberfan only got a minute" 

Christ. We don't half have a whining fan base. 

Stay in the boozer at 3pm.

Many owners across english football must wonder what the hell goes through football fans minds at times and will seemingly look foreign to them,

Most of them are businessmen - And alot foreign,

What goes off tomorrow whether or not it goes down well or not DC is symbolising the fact that he feels part of something here,

In all his guises he's a rich bloke from Thailand but him sharing something he's fond of lets us know more about what character he is,

If we had to have a minutes silence for his dads dead dog I would join in - The blokes a legend, He'll be a king of Thailand if he gets us where he promises,

Edited by Dazblur

2 hours ago, highbury owl said:

As I didn't know the bloke I'm not sure what to think about while I stand there for two minutes.

Maybe "Is that two minutes yet"?

When there has been a minute applause/silence in the past for people you more than likely didn't know, what did you think then?

To me this is no different. 

If a British businessman owned a club in Thailand, and the Queen died, would it be weird for his business to pay tribute to the Queen? I submit that most people here would consider it a perfectly natural thing to do.

This is unrelated to any opinion I may have of either monarch.