King Of Thailand Tribute - Bit weird?

2 hours ago, ViolaOwls said:

Never spoke to a yank tourist  then? They Believe everybody in the uk knows them.

oh and Dan do some research into how but the British Royal family is worth to the economy. Plus there used with great success for trade deals.

but you probably read the Guardian and beano

to be fair I apologise for the bell comment. Your an owl an that works for me

You obviously speak to some pretty stupid "Yank" tourists. 

My names not Dan. 

I don't read the Guardian, nor the Beano. 

Worst thing about when one set of fans screw up a planned 'silence' is when the other lot start booing them. Might just as well start a barmy army as boo the noisemakers - same net outcome.

Hope we keep it quiet even if the opposites don't.

We won't though, obviously. Some wazzock will start booing, nailed on.

Edited by Mr. Tom

10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

You obviously speak to some pretty stupid "Yank" tourists. 

My names not Dan. 

I don't read the Guardian, nor the Beano. 

Wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Dan. So chill darling 

Edited by ViolaOwls

2 hours ago, Holmes said:

Well, its better than reading the Daily Mail and the beano, there is little evidence to show that a living royal family is more of an attraction than a defunct one to the tourists.  They don't come all that way just on the off chance they might get to see them.  They come to see the palaces and castles etc.  It's also a little disrespectful just to have them as another sight to see on the old tour of the UK.  

Would be interesting to see how the British public would take to them, if one of the heirs to the throne married an illegal immigrant, but thinking about it isn't that what Queen Victoria did? 

They come to see the palaces and castles. Sorry I forgot the queen lives in a 2 bed semi. 

Just which family lives in the palaces?

3 hours ago, Dan™ said:

I didn't realise it was that bad, but apparently they rank 136th as a country for freedom of the press.

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

According to that link Thailand was 130th in 2014 and 134th in 2015, so they're going in the wrong direction

Given there are 180 countries listed, that position is pretty crap for what is technically a "democracy"

Thailand's freedom of the press ranking is similar to the country's current FIFA World ranking (146) http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

I wonder if they are related?

I have seen a few comments referring this request to the money that Khun Chansiri has put into the club but it isn't just about the money. DC has involved himself in the club in many other valuable ways - do we forget how he turned up at the hospital when one of our supporters was taken ill last year? Have we forgot the 2 girls singing with him (now....when we talk about something being wierd....??)?  I am sure there are more events that I have missed but it illustrates (I hope) his passion and commitment for the club and the people involved at the club.

Respect is very, very important to people in Thailand and I, personally, do not see anything wrong in this mark of respect. Although I see a caveat in 2 minutes and 1 minute silence would be sufficient.

I agree with the fact that DC gets to hold a tribute to something that he holds dear and I will of course respect it. As I'm sure will everyone. But I also agree that it will feel quite strange and alien. 

The death of a very old man that we had no attachment to, even as an outside observer, will not feel like a tragedy to many. So the emotional response won't be there. But I'm sure people can respect it all the same.

all it is really is an owner interrupting his business affairs briefly as a sign of respect. Just like a factory owner asking everyone to down tools for a moment of silence. I'm sure that has happened all over the world; wherever there are Tai owners.