King Of Thailand Tribute - Bit weird?

1 hour ago, ViolaOwls said:

Funny that as the monarchy is loved everywhere else round the world except the leftie british haters living in erm.....britain

So because you are presumably saying there are more people around the world in favour of monarchies that makes them right and just does it?

18 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Our royal family bring in millions of pounds to our economy from tourism

Any sources for this? Has a serious economic study ever even been done on it?

Not that it would particularly matter if they did bring in millions from tourism, that doesn't excuse arbitrarily giving millions of quid a year to a random family just for the sake of tradition. If it did we might as well pick a few more families around the country to give them a big house and make them multi-millionaires, get some more tourists in if it's a profitable business model.

How anyone can be in favour of such a concept when we haven't even solved the basics of homelessness yet is beyond me.

40 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Our royal family bring in millions of pounds to our economy from tourism

Didn't realise all those tourists get to meet them face to face...

All those historical buildings, history etc would still be there even if we got rid of the Royal family. 

Plenty of people go to France, despite the fact that they decided to get rid and chop off a few heads a few centuries back. 

The concept of a bunch of well endowed inbreds ruling over a population is somewhat antiquated. 

Guest mrbluesky
2 hours ago, Sam779 said:

I don't mean weird in a disrespectful way. Won't it seem a bit strange having 25,000 English people at a football match listening to their anthem and watching a montage?

I too find it a bit weird, not sure it would be the same the other way, oh well it's only a minute I suppose.

I'm guessing it's more a case of being disrespectful to their King if they didn't mark the occasion.

3 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

I too find it a bit weird, not sure it would be the same the other way, oh well it's only a minute I suppose.

I'm guessing it's more a case of being disrespectful to their King if they didn't mark the occasion.

It's 2 minutes.

44 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Would they though? Versailles is different as it's a huge historical place in the past 100-200 years.

There's all them commemorate plates that they sell too to Americans usually

Turn Buckingham Palace into a museum. Open up the gardens for tourists. Cash would be rolling in. 

14 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

I've nothing against it but it is a bit weird.

I just hope to god that our fans honour it

I'm sure they will. 2 minutes seems a bit excessive for something that means absolutely roger all to the vast majority of our fans but it's the world we live in.

2 hours ago, ViolaOwls said:

Funny that as the monarchy is loved everywhere else round the world except the leftie british haters living in erm.....britain

nowt to do with lefties really in Britain though is it, more to do with pro republicans primarily in Northern Ireland and Scotland who want independence. Anyway the point made was the King there is extremely popular and changed Thailand beyond recognition. So I would assume DC and family are no different in their views.

Thing is....under Thai law, anyone saying something deemed "derogatory" against the Thai monarchy can face up to 15 years in jail. Not the sort of society I'd care to live in - in fact GB has a long track record fighting very successfully against such things - and so I am not sure why SWFC supporters should respect a minute's service in support of such a draconian and - whatever way you slice it - foreign regime

The Thai system has a 'strong' monarchy and religion, with a 'weak' democracy (as proven by the fact Thailand has so many military coups, including a ruling military government right now) and a media that is not 'free', relative to western standards. This all inevitably results in the Thai-Chino elite keeping control of power throughout the country, and a tax system that relies not on collective responsibility, but on personal under-the-table payments to grease the wheels (that pale against anything Brian Clough may be of accused of).

The Thai ruling elite decide not to invest in educating the majority of its population's children - thus perpetuating a society that is in the whole uneducated, slavish to a Buddhist doctrine that is essentially superstition-based, scared and therefore kept in check by the status quo at the top

Chansiri may own the club, and I am grateful for all that he has contributed - without forgetting he is running a business - yet he doesn't own the people who support Wednesday, and whilst any compassionate person should respect the passing of a monarch and respect Chansiri's country as well as Chansiri himself, nobody in the UK can be compelled to respect a minute's silence

Personally, the minute's silence for this is not as culturally relevant to me as, say, holding a minutes silence for Aberfan   

Edited by owlandished

3 hours ago, ViolaOwls said:

It's not question of hating. In my opinion the monarchy is an outdated institution and should be consigned to history.  I'm sure individual members of the Royal family are OK people.  

I will respect the two minutes silence on Saturday as I will when the Queen dies, as will millions around the world.  I just don't agree with having a Royal family but I don't hate them or anyone else for that matter.