King Of Thailand Tribute - Bit weird?

I haven't read all the comments on this thread but I'm sure someone would've mentioned the viewing figures for the youtube clip

Currently standing at around 836k which is an astonishing number to be fair

And of those viewers some 83 saw fit to give it the thumbs down

Who are these people?

Pigs - who don't want to see Wednesday portrayed in a favourable light?

Wednesday fans who feel genuinely surrealed out enough to make a point?

People in general who don't like Thais - maybe had a bad takeaway? Still, why watch the clip?

Either way it's fair to say Wednesday as a club and those in attendance last Saturday have made a positive impression, and that can't be bad

2 hours ago, Holmes said:

Hopefully she will die (bless her) at the end of the season so we don't have one.  I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to have one else where.  

If its in the season I guess I will just have to go along with it.

Why is it predominately sporting events which do the minutes silence why not at the cinema, night clubs, shopping malls, the work place etc?

Why do we have them at all?  I'm sure they won't have one for me, in fact I'd rather anyone who knows me has a pint in my name then either curses me or praises me as they feel fit.

But I won't care do you want to know why? Because I'll be dead thats why. 

Sorry got carried away.

I remember in my younger days that buses would stop traffic would stop shops would stop serving on armistice day at 11o'clock for the minutes silence.

Edited by darra

10 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I haven't read all the comments on this thread but I'm sure someone would've mentioned the viewing figures for the youtube clip

Currently standing at around 836k which is an astonishing number to be fair

And of those viewers some 83 saw fit to give it the thumbs down

Who are these people?

Pigs - who don't want to see Wednesday portrayed in a favourable light?

Wednesday fans who feel genuinely surrealed out enough to make a point?

People in general who don't like Thais - maybe had a bad takeaway? Still, why watch the clip?

Either way it's fair to say Wednesday as a club and those in attendance last Saturday have made a positive impression, and that can't be bad

if we did it to be portrayed in a favourable light or create a positive impression then i think we shouldnt have done it at all .....

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

if we did it to be portrayed in a favourable light or create a positive impression then i think we shouldnt have done it at all .....

That just sounds disrespectful to those who paid their respects

I don't think there was any motive behind a simple show of decency, that's what I think anyroad

The 'favourable light' thing is just a positive bi-product, again that's my opinion

Besides, it's my first day on Owlstalk, I'm not going to get myself tangled up in someone else's argument

Thanks for the invitation though

4 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

That just sounds disrespectful to those who paid their respects

I don't think there was any motive behind a simple show of decency, that's what I think anyroad

The 'favourable light' thing is just a positive bi-product, again that's my opinion

Besides, it's my first day on Owlstalk, I'm not going to get myself tangled up in someone else's argument

Thanks for the invitation though

good idea ...cut and run is a sensible policy on here . 

56 minutes ago, torryowl said:

And we are above and beyond other people's grief are we because we are from the UK?

Even to play devils advocate, if it was a perverse way of gaining recognition or credence back in Thailand for exposure/marketing then I cannot see how that hurts the clubs global image. 

Either way, you are entitled to your view as we all are but I think its wrong for the reasons outlined above.

2 hours ago, runningaround said:

And we are above and beyond other people's grief are we because we are from the UK?

Even to play devils advocate, if it was a perverse way of gaining recognition or credence back in Thailand for exposure/marketing then I cannot see how that hurts the clubs global image. 

Either way, you are entitled to your view as we all are but I think its wrong for the reasons outlined above.

not sure what your saying here .......are we doing it because we are showing respect  for somebody we've never heard of , or are we doing it because its good for the clubs " global image"............i'll play devils advocate as well, would we have a 2 minute silence and a bit of a picture show and song   if  the king of say albania snuffed it so we could show respect for his subjects 

We did it in part to preserve the reputation of our owner in his home country. As ive said earlier different countries have different ways of honouring the dead and this is Thailands

Apologies if this has been said before....BUT this has had - as of now - 842,061 views on Youtube.

842,061 views.

842,061 people watching Sheffield Wednesday fans pay their respects to the passing of the Thai King.

If that's not a positive influence for SWFC I don't know what is!

Guest Deleted member

To be fair, 830,000 of those views have been Wednesday fans constantly checking how many views its had

Edited by Deleted member

It's great publicity for us. My fiancée is Thai and lives here, she's had numerous people (about twelve) in Bangkok, who generally have no interest in football at all, asking her about the video and what happened as they've seen it publicised there. 

There's also been lots of publicity about it on news and media websites. All this will hopefully play into our hands if we can get promoted. 

If we have a pre - season tour there next summer a lot of people will remember this. 

Joking aside re those 830,000 views from Wednesday fans lol. I can concur with Orlando. Whilst what we did was mainly due to us showing respect for a request from Dejphon Chansiri. This video has been shown far and wide across Thailand. We have gained much respect for our classy showing. Maybe we can have more Worldwide WAWAW from this.

This is the girl singing the song by the way. Play the post from 14 October

https://www.facebook.com/JEEB.Bangkok/videos/900257366771518