King Of Thailand Tribute - Bit weird?

3 hours ago, ViolaOwls said:

Funny that as the monarchy is loved everywhere else round the world except the leftie british haters living in erm.....britain

It's not question of hating. In my opinion the monarchy is an outdated institution and should be consigned to history.  I'm sure individual members of the Royal family are OK people.  

I will respect the two minutes silence on Saturday as I will when the Queen dies, as will millions around the world.  I just don't agree with having a Royal family but I don't hate them or anyone else for that matter.

2 hours ago, Dan™ said:

So because you are presumably saying there are more people around the world in favour of monarchies that makes them right and just does it?

Any sources for this? Has a serious economic study ever even been done on it?

Not that it would particularly matter if they did bring in millions from tourism, that doesn't excuse arbitrarily giving millions of quid a year to a random family just for the sake of tradition. If it did we might as well pick a few more families around the country to give them a big house and make them multi-millionaires, get some more tourists in if it's a profitable business model.

How anyone can be in favour of such a concept when we haven't even solved the basics of homelessness yet is beyond me.

Bell end. Or blind?

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

Didn't realise all those tourists get to meet them face to face...

All those historical buildings, history etc would still be there even if we got rid of the Royal family. 

Plenty of people go to France, despite the fact that they decided to get rid and chop off a few heads a few centuries back. 

The concept of a bunch of well endowed inbreds ruling over a population is somewhat antiquated. 

Never spoke to a yank tourist  then? They Believe everybody in the uk knows them.

oh and Dan do some research into how but the British Royal family is worth to the economy. Plus there used with great success for trade deals.

but you probably read the Guardian and beano

to be fair I apologise for the bell comment. Your an owl an that works for me

Edited by ViolaOwls

5 hours ago, Sam779 said:

http://mobile.swfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/owls-tribute-to-thai-king-on-saturday-3374033.aspx

Sheffield Wednesday, in a show of unity and reverence for our chairman Dejphon Chansiri and the people of Thailand, will mark the recent passing of King Bhumibol Adulyadej at Saturday’s home game against Queens Park Rangers.

The king of Thailand, aged 88, was the longest reigning monarch in the world, with 70 years on the throne. 

Just prior to kick-off, supporters will be asked to stand in silence and pay their respects whilst the royal anthem of Thailand - Sansoen Phra Barami - is played on the big screen, which will also display images of King Bhumibol Adulyade. 

As they did at Huddersfield last Sunday, the Wednesday players will wear black armbands for today’s fixture, while the flags at Hillsborough will fly at half-mast for the remainder of a 30-day mourning period since the king’s passing. 

Our sympathies remain with Mr Chansiri, his family and friends, and everyone in Thailand at this extremely difficult time.

Nowt weird about that .

In fact i think its a very fitting tribute 

27 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

Never spoke to a yank tourist  then? They Believe everybody in the uk knows them.

oh and Dan do some research into how but the British Royal family is worth to the economy. Plus there used with great success for trade deals.

Well, its better than reading the Daily Mail and the beano, there is little evidence to show that a living royal family is more of an attraction than a defunct one to the tourists.  They don't come all that way just on the off chance they might get to see them.  They come to see the palaces and castles etc.  It's also a little disrespectful just to have them as another sight to see on the old tour of the UK.  

Would be interesting to see how the British public would take to them, if one of the heirs to the throne married an illegal immigrant, but thinking about it isn't that what Queen Victoria did? 

Nice touch, but I do agree it is slightly odd.

Even after previously living there for nearly five years, and fully understanding how important he is to the Thai people, doing a two minutes silence for 25,000 or so English people is almost unprecedented.

Anyway, let's hope there's no cretins there on Saturday. 

9 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

TBF to the OP. He is finding strange giving 2 mins silence to somebody he's never heard of, or associated with football, or has be involved in a tragic accident or incident. Don't think anybody is saying don't do it

Dont get me wrong, I'll be observing the silence and paying my respects.  Just will seem all a bit awkward, surreal and odd to me.

1 hour ago, owlandished said:

The Thai system has a 'strong' monarchy and religion, with a 'weak' democracy (as proven by the fact Thailand has so many military coups, including a ruling military government right now) and a media that is not 'free', relative to western standards.

I didn't realise it was that bad, but apparently they rank 136th as a country for freedom of the press.

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

35 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

As I said, I don't believe it matters if their existence makes a net contribution to our country, so I haven't looked into detail whether they do or don't provide this benefit to our economy. Feel free to provide some solid sources if it's so obvious and widely acknowledged though.

They're basically a family living on benefits, there's no reason I can see why they should be entitled to any more money from the state than the average person is.

And for the record, I prefer 'outside' sources like RT for my UK news, since they won't ever be tempted to pull any punches. The Guardian is too mainstream for me :ph34r:

I'm led to believe the whole of Thailand has basically come to a stand still over the kings death & that people are extremely emotional about it. I assume they are raised in such a way that they seem him as a family member or almost like a religious prophet. To not mourn him would be unthinkable.

Our chairman is Thai & therefore is in mourning. WAWAW means we should support him in anyway we can.

As with most Far east cultures it's all about face and observing the correct protocol is extremely important for the reputation of both his families and businesses. Add that to the fact that as others have said the King was loved by his subjects and it makes sense