We need to make sure SWFC doesn't ever do this

7 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The FA Sky Sports and the Premier League are still the ruling body but this is in name only and they have backed off of their responsibilities because of the vast amount of money involved.

I've fixed it for you....and no, I didn't take a bung for doing it. And this for me, is where the problem has started. Sky Sports, for all their fantastic coverage of the (once) beautiful game, have brought football in to our living rooms, and helped bring corruption in to the game.

I'm not going to blame Sky Sports solely, as they really haven't done anything illegal. It's just that the money being branded about by them, for the TV rights, has fed the avarice that we see in today's game. Football players in days gone by needed to have testimonials to support them beyond their playing careers; now however, some of the top players could easily retire for life in their early 20s.

Football clubs, and we are now sadly included in this in an attempt to play "catch-up" with the top clubs (due to our very recent investment levels), charge extortionate ticket prices for fans to attend matches. PL clubs, not satisfied with the £100M per year from Sky, enforce these hideous prices, and fleece their own fans for more profit. Sky UK Limited fleece anyone and everyone who uses their service, with top packages costing double what you would pay per year for your ST at Hillsborough.

Investors - and I am not talking about club owners necessarily - looking for a good return, jumped on this particular bandwagon some years ago. They know that a little money in the right hands can turn heads and give them what they want: more money. It's greed on top of greed on top of greed. Everyone is profiting, except the fans, who turn up to support their respective clubs and current players, through thick and thin, rain and shine, and we all must have "Mug" written on our foreheads.

I love the game, always have, always will, but I detest in every way what it has become over the past decade or two. I am all for people making good of themselves, and earning a fantastic living from the game, but enough is now enough, and something needs to be done. The problem for me how we do it and how we protect the people in charge of making changes from the same corruption they are trying to end.

For me, the FA is useless body, doing nothing at all for the good of our game. I was actually quite surprised to see they moved on the Allardyce situation so quickly. Maybe he just quit and they didn't actually do anything at all, but they are the ones running our game in England, and they are the ones for me who should be enforcing new governance and legislation throughout the game, especially at the top level. The thing is, while ever Sky are pumping billions each year in to the game, they are completely powerless, and without the exposure the Sky money brings, the FA's own importance diminishes. It's almost self preservation.

I really hope we are not included in all of this. I would be appalled if Milan Manderic or Dejphon Chansiri stooped this low and I don't believe Carvalhal or Stuart Gray would be involved either, but nothing shocks me anymore.

Can the last true honest person, involved at a professional level in the game, please turn the light out when they leave.

Edited by ChapSmurf
missed a word out during my rant!

I can't help but think about when CC said in a Radio interview recently that he didn't get involved with agents.

I wonder if he was approached and gave them a huge F OFF tablet??

Will the Telegraph produce video evidence of any of the people who REFUSED to take a bung?? Thereby giving that person a boost to their integrity and to everyone's confidence in that person???

I doubt it

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Struggle to see what Cellino has done wrong here. 

It seems to be more the tone of his advice given rather that its actual content.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with him selling 20% of the club to another investor who can then reap 20% of all player profits, but seemingly attempting to try and keep it all hush-hush and specifically use it as a way to work around third-party ownership rules doesn't seem very appropriate. 

In fact, I wonder if he's even potentially breaking rules related to running a limited company by doing that, never mind FA third-party rules...

I've got no problem at all with Allardyce getting paid for doing a supplementary job....the England job is far from full time (in football related terms anyway) and whilst people like Greg Dyke might like to make out that £400k is just pocket money when you are getting paid £3million a year, it really isn't, it is a significant sum

However, what astounds me, and why I've no objection to him getting sacked is the shear stupidity of having talks on slightly dodgy stuff with "far east investors" just after becoming England manager...how stupid must he be not to have smelt a rat there?.....and then to find out that his agent did indeed smell a rat, advised him not to go to the meeting but he did anyway!....no wonder he never has a tie on, can't imagine he has the intelligence to tie it!

36 minutes ago, aeroswfc said:

Moneys ruined this game.

100% (that plus Bosman ruling).

Insane business model. Football seems to think that it's immune from a 2008 style financial collapse. As more money is poured in it leads to exponential corruption and (even more) overspending. When the TV money increases slow down or stop there will be a cataclysmic reckoning.

Thing is...we have been saying for nigh on two decades now that it will all collapse like a house of cards. 

And yet every 5 years the Premier League manages to trump their previous television deal. 

The whole thing is absurd. 

6 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo poo TU said:

What happened to the Telegraph's statement that they were going to release the names of 8 former and current Premier league managers

Are these 3 sacrificial lambs, or do the Telegraph intend to publish the more prominent names

I'm not a gambler, but if I was, I'd wager 2 of the high profile names used to work at a club not very far from us.

Bit like Kay, Swan and Layne they were to be the first in a long long list. Then the three became the story and the rest were forgotten !

Football and every sport has always had problems with corruption. Don't think take back handers, bungs etc is anything new.

Kind of hoped with the types of sums those involved in the game can make legitimately they would be less temptation but you are always going to get a few people who break the rules. 

Hope these are more isolated incidents rather then anything widespread. 

Obviously hope SWFC are not involved in anyway but I guess we will have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I've got no problem at all with Allardyce getting paid for doing a supplementary job....the England job is far from full time (in football related terms anyway) and whilst people like Greg Dyke might like to make out that £400k is just pocket money when you are getting paid £3million a year, it really isn't, it is a significant sum

However, what astounds me, and why I've no objection to him getting sacked is the shear stupidity of having talks on slightly dodgy stuff with "far east investors" just after becoming England manager...how stupid must he be not to have smelt a rat there?.....and then to find out that his agent did indeed smell a rat, advised him not to go to the meeting but he did anyway!....no wonder he never has a tie on, can't imagine he has the intelligence to tie it!

His contract will stipulate that he is not allowed to carry out any work outside of the role as England manager, paid or otherwise. So clearly he was attempting to breach that.

The role as England manager should very easily be a full time role. The manager should be attending domestic matches to check on players, also the under 21s, meeting with the FA to seek guidance on things like how best to develop the game and in turn be passing this on the Managers/Head Coaches of the various teams with current England players. The manager should be helping to develop the game, spend time studying the opposition, in depth, and learning new methods and techniques to further develop our current crop of England stars players.

The manager should be spending time analysing each current player for their individual strengths, weaknesses and specialties.

FFS sake. This is £3M p.a. role. The manager should make it full time, otherwise he is not worth the money. And let's face it, on that kind of salary why would you need more money? It's just pure greed.