Squad Numbers

40 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

So there aren't people who blindly back everything Chansiri does? Right...

Blindly back is a bit extreme. There are a number that aren't too bothered because times change. They've changed a lot in the past couple of years. Keep criticising Chansiri and he may just sell up!

Just now, modboy said:

thats different though as it personal thoughts etc. re line ups etc

Re what DC does yes it may seem weird at first but there is little that we can do about it so once we have had our moan its best just to grudgingly accept it and move on however much we are annoyed by it

I'd prefer to still be free to question and criticise to be honest - and I'd prefer DC to be open to that.

Just now, SiJ said:

What do people ultimately want? 

I find the changing of numbers a bit weird. 

I don't particularly like the new badge and the kit is a bit naff...however; I'm willing to accept a few cosmetic changes if it means Wednesday are more productive on the pitch. 

We've spent 16 odd years moaning about how sh*te we are. We now have an ambitious owner, a quality head coach and the best team in a generation, yet it feels like some fans are falling over themselves to slate any change the club now makes. 

Perhaps they're worried that it starts with a few minor changes and then before you know it we will be called Sheffield Owls and Mr C will be picking the team. That's not happened yet and I don't believe it ever will. 

At the end of the day there has to be a degree of give and take. 

You can't just expect Mr C to stump hundreds of millions of pounds and not want to have some sort of say in how the club is run. 

The cosmetic changes don't mean Wednesday are more productive on the pitch - they're cosmetic - they're not needed to make us better.

I think people blindly backing Chansiri is a more worrying trend than people asking questions - and there are far more of the former than the latter.

You'd have a problem with the club name being changed and Chansiri picking the team - OK - my own personal line is with the badge/kit/numbers - more specifically the way they were chosen. IMO the badge is alright (though I prefer the old one), the shirt is horrendous (but I'd put up with it for a year) and the numbers are bizarre - what is most worrying is that DC picked them all himself. The badge especially should have had some fan input. Owner or not, I don't agree with that being the way he runs things.

Of course there has to be give and take. Of course he should have a say - but my opinion is that pumping millions in shouldn't give you free reign to change whatever you want.

1 minute ago, Babushka1867 said:

Blindly back is a bit extreme. There are a number that aren't too bothered because times change. They've changed a lot in the past couple of years. Keep criticising Chansiri and he may just sell up!

Because of some comments on a fans forum? I doubt it.

lol

7 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

exactly...you have to wonder what motives these people have...I couldn't be happier the way the club is progressing and pretty soon we'll start moving the commercial side forward

Davey, I'd hope you've known me for long enough to realise I have no ulterior motive for my questioning.

I might be a miserable git, but I'm a Wednesday fan first and foremost - I just have different opinions to you - that's  it.

The badge belongs to SWFC and is part of the identity

The colours belong to SWFC and are part of the identity

The history belongs to SWFC and are part of the identity

Numbers on the back of a shirt are not part of our identity. Chansiri is just further breaking a football tradition that was first destroyed with the first player was given a squad number outside of 1-11

I'm working for a highly innovative organization and right now, transformative thinking is one of the key components powering our business performance. You take business cliches and processes and reverse them.

"Squad numbers should generally reflect the position of the player"

Becomes

"Squad numbers shouldn't reflect the position of the player"

Personally I hope that we create an identity as a transformative, innovative, globally-recognized football club that stays true to its core identity. Numbers just ain't part of that.

20 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

I don't know ask Carlos...he's the one that wants him in the squad are you saying that Carlos is crap and doesn't know what he's doing...perhaps you think he'll be gone by September

What a stupid post.

Just because I don't think Nuhiu is upto it has got nothing to do with a lack of faith in Carlos.

Just so you know and are in no doubt. I was behind Carlos from day one. I've been sat at Hillsborough whilst the likes of Gray/ Irvine were destroying all around in the forms of entertainment. I used to despair when we had a home match under Gray because I knew I had a 2hr drive ahead of me to endure endless dullness.

Don't like shirts = won't buy one

Nuhiu = nowhere near good enough if we want to be ambitious/ promotion.

9 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Why would I be unhappy about that?

Why can't we do that with proper stripes and shirt numbers?

Just my two cents Kivo, but, the reason I (and I imagine some others) baulk at your criticism of the recent decisions the club has made (particularly shirts, badge and squad numbers) is that it feels like it is opportunistic - in that it seems like it's all actually related to your concerns with ticket pricing. 

People agreed with you re POTG tickets, as lots of people could see it was a genuinely important issue to lots of fans and also that they in certain cases do seem very high.

But the way you (and others) have taken issue with other things I list above seems disproportionate - and for me, the idea that Chansiri is trying to rip the soul out of the club couldn't be wider of the mark. Hence why I think some of your criticism is related to ticket issues...

Also, you accuse people of sticking up for Chansiri no matter what. In that same vein, it's not hard to see why people also accuse you of 'moaning' at lots of things. It winds people up because they are rightly very proud of our club at the moment and don't really see/feel the way you do and don't want anything to take away from the positive feeling and momentum we currently have off the back of last season. 

Im in no way saying you don't deserve an opinion on any decision the club makes (as you say, that's what forums are for) - but can we try to have a bit more balance (from both sides of this debate!)?!

Anyway, I for one cant wait for the actual football to start! 

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

Some weird numbers there!

Maybe the players asked for a number and got what the want!

Has anyone changed numbers at all, might cause problems with kits already bought!

They've all changed numbers lol

Lee 20 > 5

Palmer 2 > 16

Hutch 4 > 23

Joao 18 > 19

Loovens 5 > 12

Semedo 6 > 24

etc

If you believe what DubaiOwl said, it seems that the only times they haven't changed is when the chairman dictated them last season or where it's written into their contract that they have a number (I'd imagine for example Westwood being #1)

13 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

What could the "motive" possibly be? Are we agents of Allen? Maybe we just like stripes and reasonable ticket prices and can see potential trouble ahead - I stress potential. 

If you're the kind of guy who sees trouble ahead for the club then nothing anyone will say will make a difference...personally I couldn't be more happier with the way the clubs progressing but there again I'm not the kind of person to look for the negatives in life

8 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Davey, I'd hope you've known me for long enough to realise I have no ulterior motive for my questioning.

I might be a miserable git, but I'm a Wednesday fan first and foremost - I just have different opinions to you - that's  it.

I know mate...I'm just a bit baffled why you are not enjoying the ride...after all theshit we've gone through lol

Edited by daveyboy66

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Numbers on the back of a shirt are not part of our identity. Chansiri is just further breaking a football tradition that was first destroyed with the first player was given a squad number outside of 1-11

I'm working for a highly innovative organization and right now, transformative thinking is one of the key components powering our business performance. You take business cliches and processes and reverse them.

Becomes

Personally I hope that we create an identity as a transformative, innovative, globally-recognized football club that stays true to its core identity. Numbers just ain't part of that.

And SWFC belongs to Mr Chansiri

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Becomes

Amen brother

8 minutes ago, Babushka1867 said:

There are people blindly backing him - there are more of them than those who disagree with him anyway.

Your last line is something I've mentioned before - maybe people are going along with everything because they're worried too much criticism will drive him away.

Anybody moaning should look at what Jimmy Hill did for Coventry and he is lauded as a hero in the West Midlands.

This is a transformation, an evolution into something new.

Still blue and white, still the Owls...but something fresh and new for old and young alike.

Hopefully the ground move will be just around the corner.

A difference of opinion is one thing Kivo, but trying to rouse troops to march on Hillsborough with pitchforks (over squad numbers) is crass and dis-ingenuous.

I'll have a pop at Chansiri when the need arises. But for now I'd rather sit down and listen to his plans for the future than listen to you waffle on about tradition and being in your comfort zone.

Just now, aeroswfc said:

Why the hell are people moaning about fecking numbers for.

Grow the hell up and go support someone else If you ain't that happy. 

First shirts, now numbers. 

It's going to be suicide watch for most when we lose.  

Because they have different opinions to you.

Grow the hell up and go support someone else if you ain't happy with people sharing their opinions.

(not nice is it?)