Squad Numbers

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

How important in the great scheme of thing are squad numbers? isn't it more important that the club is known for it's exhilarating football and fantastic support as a family club instead of the disaster...because that what CC is trying to do...if you are really struggling with that mate I'm truly baffled...you haven't answered my question mate

How important is a badge?
How important is a kit?

How important are numbers?
How important is a nickname?
How important is a club name?

They're all tied up in tradition and identity. For some people, changing the club name would be the straw that broke the camel's back. For others, changing the badge is too much. Different opinions don't deserve to criticised because they are different.

We can be known for exhilarating football and for being a family club without having to meddle with harmless traditions.

Playing a 2-3-5 formation was a tradition we scrapped because keeping it would have had an impact on our results - understandable.
Giving certain numbers to certain positions is a tradition we've kept because it has no impact on results.

Traditions give a sense of something to identify with - if they don't cause any harm there's no need to change them.

I'm struggling to understand how you believe changing squad numbers somehow moves us away from the Hillsborough Disaster.

3 minutes ago, modboy said:

whilst abuse should never be accepted there are way more important local and world matters at the moment than this.

In that case just shut down Owlstalk. Why bother talking about who's going to play against Villa when there's trouble in Syria?

3 minutes ago, Paolo Di Catio said:

Do you think he deserves the 9 shirt?

I don't know ask Carlos...he's the one that wants him in the squad are you saying that Carlos is crap and doesn't know what he's doing...perhaps you think he'll be gone by September

Edited by daveyboy66

3 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

That CC wants us playing exhilarating football with a packed house full of fantastic support and run as a family club are you unhappy about that?

Why would I be unhappy about that?

Why can't we do that with proper stripes and shirt numbers?

11 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

In that case just shut down Owlstalk. Why bother talking about who's going to play against Villa when there's trouble in Syria?

thats different though as it personal thoughts etc. re line ups etc

Re what DC does yes it may seem weird at first but there is little that we can do about it so once we have had our moan its best just to grudgingly accept it and move on however much we are annoyed by it

What do people ultimately want? 

I find the changing of numbers a bit weird. 

I don't particularly like the new badge and the kit is a bit naff...however; I'm willing to accept a few cosmetic changes if it means Wednesday are more productive on the pitch. 

We've spent 16 odd years moaning about how sh*te we are. We now have an ambitious owner, a quality head coach and the best team in a generation, yet it feels like some fans are falling over themselves to slate any change the club now makes. 

Perhaps they're worried that it starts with a few minor changes and then before you know it we will be called Sheffield Owls and Mr C will be picking the team. That's not happened yet and I don't believe it ever will. 

At the end of the day there has to be a degree of give and take. 

You can't just expect Mr C to stump hundreds of millions of pounds and not want to have some sort of say in how the club is run. 

Just now, KivoOwl said:

Why would I be unhappy about that?

Why can't we do that with proper stripes and shirt numbers?

Because DC is trying to put his imprint on the club to disassociate it from what happened previously...I think we'll have proper stripes next year with a new supplier and the squad numbers meh...it's just DC's superstition it has no impact on us does it?

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I don't particularly like the new badge and the kit is a bit naff...however; I'm willing to accept a few cosmetic changes if it means Wednesday are more productive on the pitch. 

We've spent 16 odd years moaning about how sh*te we are. We now have an ambitious owner, a quality head coach and the best team in a generation, yet it feels like some fans are falling over themselves to slate any change the club now makes. 

Perhaps they're worried that it starts with a few minor changes and then before you know it we will be called Sheffield Owls and Mr C will be picking the team. That's not happened yet and I don't believe it ever will. 

You can't just expect Mr C to stump hundreds of millions of pounds and not want to have some sort of say in how the club is run. 

exactly...you have to wonder what motives these people have...I couldn't be happier the way the club is progressing and pretty soon we'll start moving the commercial side forward

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Exactly this. The main thing for me is that we have an exciting team that we all enjoy watching. Yes some of the decisions DC has made of the pitch are a bit odd but as long as on the pitch is the best its been for many many years that is what is most important for me. As long as DC doesnt try to change our name or change our colours from blue and white i trust him to do the best for us. Yes the tickets on match day are expensive but if paying a bit extra means we get tom watch players of the quality of FF, Abdi and Bannan then i believe its worth it.

Edited by WalthamOwl

3 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

exactly...you have to wonder what motives these people have...I couldn't be happier the way the club is progressing and pretty soon we'll start moving the commercial side forward

What could the "motive" possibly be? Are we agents of Allen? Maybe we just like stripes and reasonable ticket prices and can see potential trouble ahead - I stress potential. 

Edited by rickygoo

Maybe the players have some opinions and requests for certain numbers. Different but not really as radical as some think. Confuse the hell out of the opposition though. Never know which player has the ball if they only go by numbers lol