23 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Probably true - he actually had to learn it properly in school.

He's of a generation where little English would have been taught in school unless he actively sought it out (eg private tuition and the like) , I spent four years living in the Czech Republic and the spread of English as a second language was very poor, German tends to be the second language for many Czechs up to 40s/50s age groups and beyond that Russian is their second language.

Edited by Grimbarian

Just now, Grimbarian said:

He's of a generation where little English would have been taught in school unless he actively sought it out (eg private tuition and the like) , I spent four years living in the Czech Republic and the spread of English as a second language was very poor, German tends to be the second language or many Czechs up to 40s/50s age groups and beyond that Russian is their second language.

I don't really care for facts; I find they tend to cloud my judgement. :baby:

1 hour ago, Grimbarian said:

He's of a generation where little English would have been taught in school unless he actively sought it out (eg private tuition and the like) , I spent four years living in the Czech Republic and the spread of English as a second language was very poor, German tends to be the second language for many Czechs up to 40s/50s age groups and beyond that Russian is their second language.

I met a couple of lovely Russian girls in the Atlas Bar in Prague but that's another story altogether. Their English was very good. They said they vanted me and that I made them vet.

15 hours ago, Morepork said:

No, I think that was Abraham Lincolnlol

14 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Does he have a twitter account ?

Just read it on Abraham Lincoln's Twitter account: "Just on my way to.... the theatre"

15 hours ago, superowls23 said:

Heard he was stilling living in Sheffield so where was he setting off to at 6:45? 

Be a great day if we get both in. Still a shame we missed out on Clarke though. 

Light years ahead gary megson

lolpiZap_1469657534101.jpg

15 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Wasn't it a Nixon who said that you can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time?

15 hours ago, Morepork said:

No, I think that was Abraham Lincolnlol

Only five of the so-called "Ten Cannots of Abraham Lincoln" were correctly attributed to him by the author, Rev. William J.H.Boetcker.  The Ten Cannots was published in 1916, For 84 years "You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time." was dogmatically credited to Lincoln. In 1992 an academic history researcher found that the earliest source attributing it to Lincoln was a 1910 Clinton Illinois newspaper interview with someone that attended a Lincoln speech there in 1858. Recent research showed that the quotes are not in the 1858 transcript and newspaper accounts of that speech, or any other Lincoln address, debate, or any of his papers.

1 minute ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Only five of the so-called "Ten Cannots of Abraham Lincoln" were correctly attributed to him by the author, Rev. William J.H.Boetcker.  The Ten Cannots was published in 1916, For 84 years "You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time." was dogmatically credited to Lincoln. In 1992 an academic history researcher found that the earliest source attributing it to Lincoln was a 1910 Clinton Illinois newspaper interview with someone that attended a Lincoln speech there in 1858. Recent research showed that the quotes are not in the 1858 transcript and newspaper accounts of that speech, or any other Lincoln address, debate, or any of his papers.

All Owlstalkers should know the danger of wikipedia!! lol

7 minutes ago, Morepork said:

All Owlstalkers should know the danger of wikipedia!! lol

I think I've sort of half dug myself out of a hole by proving that the people who correctly told me that I was wrong, were in fact wrong themselves as well.gary megson

If in doubt check it out with:- http://hijackedhistory.com

Edited by The Dukeries Owl