He will certainly have earnt his corn if he goes and drags Pompey back up the leagues

massive job that is down there

When have we ever taken a lets see gamble?

Gray has been the closest thing to that. I'm sticking with Gray think he could be the answer long term if we gave him a couple more seasons. However I think Cook would be a better option and would get us looking more of a promotion chasing side.

Are you being serious?

1969 - Danny Williams - Had just won League Cup with Swindon (Lg1 equivalent at time) - we were relegated next season to Div 2

1974 - Steve Burtenshaw - Arsenal coach rated as up and coming - we were relegated next season to Div 3

1975 - Len Ashurst - Just promoted with Gillingham - we were nearly relegated to Div 4 escaped on last day and he lasted just over another season

1989 - Peter Eustace - Great servant to the club - played something like 11 matches and got deux points and pissed Sterland off so he left

1997 - Danny Wilson - Just took Barnsley to Premier - Took them and us down to Championship

2000 to 2003 Succession of Terry Yorath, Peter Shreeve, Paul Jewell and Chris Turner- need I say more

2009 - Alan Irvine - "One of the finest coaches in the game"

We have a great track record of appointing up and coming managers, coaches etc. The simple truth is that the vast majority are single season or one club wonders who turn out to be completely dogger especially in a situation where you have a big club, with huge expectations, big ego's and more often than not tight fisted chairmen.

Finally we get one who has worked wonders on a shoestring for the last 18 months and you want to get rid and experiment again without even giving him a chance with a decent budget! Sorry mate you must be off your rocker.

Edited by Utah Owl

What the chuff is he going to Pompey for ?

Exactly the question I was asking. If he's really up to moving things forward to the Prem at a club like Wednesday why would he be stepping down a division? Not a criticism of him btw, I mean his decision is all fair enough, but could he really be ready for the job we need? No reason to change right now.

To get away from Chesterfield?

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Actually scratch that, the answer is clear now.