WHY? Wednesday - People NOT from Sheffield

Born and bred in Doncaster and like many others there was no local club . Was allowed to go on a train to a match on my own at 12 (how things change) and went to Hillsborough, been going ever since which is just short of 30 years.

Moved to Normanton several years ago and as Lemmy says its all dirty leeds

Dad was never a big football fan, he would watch England and that was about it.

Other family were football fans, my first match was at Rotherham, and my cousins took me.

Friends at school all supported different teams, and I would get the offer of going on a Saturday,

I went to Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham, even got took to the lane (only once i hated it)

Then one Friday at school one of my mates said we have a spare ticket for Wednesday

So I gratefully accepted, well we got there and I was mesmerised, the crowd were more passionate,

And the fans were more friendly towards this little 10 year old that was at his first match at Hillsborough.

I was hooked from that day, my pocket money and paper round money were saved just to go to watch Wednesday, that was 40 years ago.

Saw a game on TV and Chris Waddle was playing, I was mesmerized. He was incredible - can't remember the game

So one year when my parents asked what I wanted for my birthday, I said I wanted to see Chris Waddle play. By this time he was at Wednesday, so I went to Hillsborough and that was that.

By the way, we got beat and Waddle was awful, he was hauled off at half time...turns out he was ill

Born in Oxford, grew up in Spain and moved back to Oxford when I was six. Had an uncle who played football at a decent level and was a Derby County fan, he took me to my first football match against Sheffield Wednesday. The Wednesday fans were particularly rowdy that day and I loved it. Shaped my life ever since. I was the only Owls fan at school until a new kid moved down from Rawmarsh. We would go with his dad to matches and then joined the London Owls. Unbelievably, in those days they would pick up in Oxford on route to Sheffield. There were quite a few of us down here, there still is, but eventually they stopped picking up and if we wanted to travel up we had to go to London. As a teen, I was going to about a dozen games a season, but I wanted more.

I can remember four of us, and another two from Banbury, would jump the mail train on Friday night, don't think we ever paid. We'd get to Sheffield early hours Sat morning, go to the all nighter at Samantha's and then off to the game on Saturday. Out for a few beers on Saturday night, before splitting up and hitching back to Oxford, sometimes not getting home til breakfast on Sunday. Did that for three years until eventually, I decided to move to Sheffield. People think you're crazy but they were great times, they really were.

What year was that mate?

Born in Burncross,

Had a choice of Burncross 67 or Wednesday, 67 folded shortly after foot and mouth,

so used to make the long journey on the bus.

It always amazes me the effort some of us make. lol

Live in Retford.. Should technically be a Forest fan but grandfather & co somehow supported Wednesday and it passed down... Wouldn't have it any other way though. 

Love the trip to Hillsborough and the feeling when you can see the stadium.

Guest gilly_2012

grew up in buxton myself and my dad was and still is massive buxton fc supporter so I went with him to every game for years, he won tickets to a game at Hillsborough against Wimbledon when we won 5-1 and I never looked back, went to other league games before that but nothing that really compared to the atmosphere  on the kop that day.

Dad indoctrinated me.

Don't think he liked me much m

Same here - my dad's fault.

By rights I should support Burnley - I was born and raised there, and my maternal grandfather played for them for years (including at Wembley).

But my dad had his way and used to take me to Hillsborough. Unfortunately he is a spineless turncoat (:biggrin:) and now has a season ticket at Burnley as it's only down the road from where he lives.

Born Skipton, but have lived in Hastings since 1990.Nearly all the folks of Skipton support Leeds or Burnley.I was always one not to follow others (some say awkward) so decided not to support either even after family and neighbours dragged me to turf moor & elland road .Then came the defining moment in my life, Jack charlton became our manager knowing all about him from the many leeds fans, my decision on who to support was made and my love affair with the Owls began.My missus got me a brick in Jack Charltons wall at Hillsborough,knowing this was the only wall for me.

But do you hate the blades ?

You can't be a true Wednesday fan unless you hate them with everything you've got

nope, sorry that's only you lot...

don't like the pig, love to beat him...

but i've no hatred of him, in fact i like a sandwich with him on, and just love crackling...