WHY? Wednesday - People NOT from Sheffield

Afternoon All, great result yesterday...

First post since joining Owlstalk, I may get crucified for this but a relative newcomer to everything Wednesday I thought i'd share how I've become a loyal follower of Wednesday in the past couple of years. I'm originally from Boston (Lincolnshire, not the one across the pond) and grew up (and admittedly still am) a Boston United fan.

Anyone that wanted the fat pig at Rotherham (and anyone involved with him) needs their heads checking… enough about fatty...

Joined the Forces in the late 90's (still proudly serving, and just returned from a 7 month tour) and have settled in the North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire area. I've always been obsessed with all things football (mostly at a lower level) and the history of the clubs in the local area has always had me interested. I got tickets through Tickets for Troops for a match last season and went with an out and out Wednesday fan friend (born and bred).

I'll be honest I've been hooked ever since I walked out onto the Kop (mid way up) just before the end of halftime and saw the floodlights shining down on the pitch - must say it was stunning. Since getting back to the UK after deploying (had good coverage of the Sky matches - the 6 -0 hammering of Leeds went down well) I've only managed to get to the FA cup game (very disappointed to say the least) due to working commitments and will be getting the a couple more before the season ends. While I'll probably never be as die hard as the majority on here; I am a 'real' football fan and I'll scream and shout as much as the next fan.

I'll stand by for a p7ss taking now...

When I passed my driving test when I was 18, the first long drive was to sheffield to watch my team for the first time. I was really worried that Wednesday fans wouldn't see me as a really fan cos I was Cornish. But I was so wrong, I met a few people in sheffield and it was great. Very welcoming. Great times. Even when I called some guy 'my shag' and he got a little freaked out until I told him 'shag' means friend in cornwall. I still meet up with these guys whenever I'm up. I was up two weeks ago. I'm now 33 and these same guys still remember to call me 'shag'. Wednesday fans are the best in the world. And I'm so glad I'm wednesday.

Guest Ramos333

Lived in Kent all my life but since the age of 11 have been a Wednesday fan because of a one Mr Christopher Roland Waddle :)

Afternoon All, great result yesterday...

First post since joining Owlstalk, I may get crucified for this but a relative newcomer to everything Wednesday I thought i'd share how I've become a loyal follower of Wednesday in the past couple of years. I'm originally from Boston (Lincolnshire, not the one across the pond) and grew up (and admittedly still am) a Boston United fan.

Anyone that wanted the fat pig at Rotherham (and anyone involved with him) needs their heads checking… enough about fatty...

Joined the Forces in the late 90's (still proudly serving, and just returned from a 7 month tour) and have settled in the North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire area. I've always been obsessed with all things football (mostly at a lower level) and the history of the clubs in the local area has always had me interested. I got tickets through Tickets for Troops for a match last season and went with an out and out Wednesday fan friend (born and bred).

I'll be honest I've been hooked ever since I walked out onto the Kop (mid way up) just before the end of halftime and saw the floodlights shining down on the pitch - must say it was stunning. Since getting back to the UK after deploying (had good coverage of the Sky matches - the 6 -0 hammering of Leeds went down well) I've only managed to get to the FA cup game (very disappointed to say the least) due to working commitments and will be getting the a couple more before the season ends. While I'll probably never be as die hard as the majority on here; I am a 'real' football fan and I'll scream and shout as much as the next fan.

I'll stand by for a p7ss taking now...

Nothing to take the mick about with that posting - welcome to the family I'd say.

Love this thread by the way. 

Personally grew up in South Krkby, Ponterfract in the 70s which was largely a Leeds Utd area. Chose Wednesday because the club felt right to me.  I love the fact the fans are loyal, but retain a sense of reality.  We don't get too uptight if we're outside the Premier League and we're not out to make enemies.  My early days at Hillsborough were in the Big Ron era in the old second division.  Looking back it was obviously a great time to become a Wednesday fan, but despite the recent lack of success I still feel the same way about the club.

Now live over in Beverley and don't get to that many games, but I still get the same buzz when I get to a game and see the pitch on match day.  Highlight for me in recent years has to be the Leeds game.  I've watched us lose to Leeds at Elland Rd and Hillsborough on far too many occasions, so the 6 nil demolition was pretty sweet.

One last point which I feel sums our club up is that neutral fans rarely have anything bad to say about our club.  We have a large, good natured fan base which I personally feel gains us a lot of respect from other supporters.  Personally I've never seen the attraction in supporting a club where the fans are out to cause trouble. 

Guest RE.DAve

Born and live in Doncaster. Actually went to few games at Belle Vue when I'd come out of dome with mates just to watch a game.

But my dad's a Wednesdayite and my first game watching the MASSIVE and I was hooked. It was more the atmosphere for me as a kid. I wasn't glory hunting as I watched us fall through the leagues.

Maybe born today and I may be a Donny fan but once Wednesday always Wednesday.

It just slightly hurts now as the game dies slightly and is becoming expensive and all about money. I used to love the atmosphere as a kid whether win or lose. Now that buzz is going. Kids grow up chosing Chelsea and Man Utd's.

They will never speak about walking to the match with their dad's and getting smashed (when I say smashed I don't mean drunk, I mean seeing your team get battered by some other mediocre team) whilst freezing cold in the rain with a bovril etc. That's football for me.

They still say the FA cup emulates that however they televise prem vs prem games, whilst there are still lower league teams in, some of which are in desperate financial difficulty (ie. when we played Macclesfield)

I'm ranting now. UTO. WAWAW

Edited by RE.DAve

1984, my first ever footie match, Grimsby v the Owls, Blundell Park. i was ten.

Wednesday got a late equalizer in a 1-1 draw, away fans went mental (1000s of em')

my big bro said i was meant to be sad when the goal went in, i was delighted - an i think he could tell!

Born in Oxford, grew up in Spain and moved back to Oxford when I was six. Had an uncle who played football at a decent level and was a Derby County fan, he took me to my first football match against Sheffield Wednesday. The Wednesday fans were particularly rowdy that day and I loved it. Shaped my life ever since. I was the only Owls fan at school until a new kid moved down from Rawmarsh. We would go with his dad to matches and then joined the London Owls. Unbelievably, in those days they would pick up in Oxford on route to Sheffield. There were quite a few of us down here, there still is, but eventually they stopped picking up and if we wanted to travel up we had to go to London. As a teen, I was going to about a dozen games a season, but I wanted more.

I can remember four of us, and another two from Banbury, would jump the mail train on Friday night, don't think we ever paid. We'd get to Sheffield early hours Sat morning, go to the all nighter at Samantha's and then off to the game on Saturday. Out for a few beers on Saturday night, before splitting up and hitching back to Oxford, sometimes not getting home til breakfast on Sunday. Did that for three years until eventually, I decided to move to Sheffield. People think you're crazy but they were great times, they really were.

That's amazing. You have my admiration

Guest Maxine

1984, my first ever footie match, Grimsby v the Owls, Blundell Park. i was ten.

Wednesday got a late equalizer in a 1-1 draw, away fans went mental (1000s of em')

my big bro said i was meant to be sad when the goal went in, i was delighted - an i think he could tell!

How come you wanted wednesday to win if you were a young lad from Grimsby?

What a great thread this is. I'm from sheffield originally so easy explanation for me.

There is a girl that sits with us in the north though that deserves a mention. She is German but has come to live in Sheffield because of her love for Wednesday. She got her dad to take her to the Kaiserslautern game as was the only chance she had to actually watch Wednesday in person and had her SW scarf hidden under her coat at the match (in middle of Kaiserslautern fans)

I think she moved here about five years ago just to watch us. Takes some doing that !

How come you wanted wednesday to win if you were a young lad from Grimsby?

dunno' i didnt mean to, or know i was gonna feel like that. 

this was meant to be my introduction into being a lifelong Mariner - guess they chose the wrong fixture.

it was the Kit, i love blue anyway, an the fans, i just spent 90 mins thinking 'im in the wrong end'

Guest Maxine

dunno' i didnt mean to, or know i was gonna feel like that. 

this was meant to be my introduction into being a lifelong Mariner - guess they chose the wrong fixture.

it was the Kit, i love blue anyway, an the fans, i just spent 90 mins thinking 'im in the wrong end'

Ah what a nice story. It was meant to be.

Ah what a nice story. 

told it once before on ere tho' in a thread six months or so, ago. dint really wanna repeat meself but the thread wasnt going away, so i did.

prob starting to sound like one of them boring old men now, if im telling that story on here in 2016 make sure you

tell me im boring, and to shut the f*** up, wont ya! 

Guest Maxine

told it once before on ere tho' in a thread six months or so, ago. dint really wanna repeat meself but the thread wasnt going away, so i did.

prob starting to sound like one of them boring old men now, if im telling that story on here in 2016 make sure you

tell me im boring, and to shut the f*** up, wont ya! 

Well I haven't heard your story and I asked you, it's a lovely story. Do you still live in Grimsby? I lived at Wybers Woods for a couple of years.

Well I haven't heard your story and I asked you, it's a lovely story. Do you still live in Grimsby? I lived at Wybers Woods for a couple of years.

yeah still here. how weird, few times ive ended up in the back of a taxi to Wybers, with some lass who's name i dont even know. ..during my younger years of course.

not that im suggesting for one minute, tha..........    dunt matter.

Guest Maxine

yeah still here. how weird, few times ive ended up in the back of a taxi to Wybers, with some lass who's name i dont even know. ..during my younger years of course.

not that im suggesting for one minute, tha..........    dunt matter.

I lived on faulding way when I was in my 20's but missed home too much.