WHY? Wednesday - People NOT from Sheffield

grew up in buxton myself and my dad was and still is MASSIVE buxton fc supporter so I went with him to every game for years, he won tickets to a game at Hillsborough against Wimbledon when we won 5-1 and I never looked back, went to other league games before that but nothing that really compared to the atmosphere  on the kop that day.

I too live in Buxton and am a Steward at Buxton. Do i know you?

Born and raised in Portsmouth.

I was fascinated with my absent father's side of the family. They lived in Parson Cross and Fox Hill.

The first time I heard that there was a Sheffield team was in October 1992 when we beat Leicester. I was an Owl from then on.

Born and bred in Leeds. Raised by my step dad who's also a Wednesday fan and been supporting them since I was a kid.

I have a bigger hatred for Leeds than the Pigs because I'm surrounded by the cretins and have been through school and work with them so the 6-0 this season was VERY sweet.

But I do still hate the Pigs. Liverpool as well 

born in london but grew up in north wales.  When we were kids we all picked teams who were based in north england, so most of them chose liverpool, everton and manure.  For me, it seems like I was drawn to Sheffield Wednesday for some reason, and I have supported them since the age of 10.  

Back then I didn't really get the rivalry but moved to Sheffield when I was 18 to study in Sheffield.  My sole reason why I chose a university there was Sheffield Wednesday.  I could also get myself a season ticket as well for the next 4 years.  Living about 5 mins from bramall lane as it was close to Sheffield Hallam uni, I understood the rivalry pretty clear after wearing my Wednesday shirt when the blades were playing at home.  Nearly got me head kicked in a few times for that.  I remember walking past a few pubs on me way home, and united fans would come out of the pub and shout at me, 'you get some nerve wearing that here'.  Happy days.

I'm born and bred in Barnsley but supporting Wednesday is passed down in our family. My dad's side of the family are from Sheffield and support Wednesday so even after moving this way Wednesday is in the blood. There was never any choice for me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

When my daughters were born there was a little competition from my Forest supporting in laws but I have fought them off and they now accept they will be Wednesday. I have made sure they both have a brick in the wall at Hillsborough so they will always be Wednesday no matter what.

People often say that if I live in Barnsley I should support Barnsley which is fair enough but they don't ask why I support Wednesday. I just say that by dingle logic if I moved around the country I should change the team I support everytime which goes against what proper football fans do. Then what do you do if you live somewhere that doesn't have a team, like Wakefield? Just because you live somewhere doesn't mean you have to support that team, having said that, these Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd fans..........

Born In Doncaster.

From about 2 years old I loved Football and was really close to my cousin, everything he wanted I wanted for example He bought a new coat I wanted the exact same one...Found out he was a Wednesday Fan so I became one.

Only difference Is when Wednesday got relegated from Premiership he went and supported Newcastle United and I stayed an Owl.

Well I've been watching Wednesday since the early sixties was it those olden days, having said that the army took a big chunk of the seventies out of regular attendance.

I think the Northern Soul all nighters is a bit of a clue Probably my first matches were in the height of the skinhead thing so away games had a real edge

I think the Northern Soul all nighters is a bit of a clue Probably my first matches were in the height of the skinhead thing so away games had a real edge

I must have missed that in your first post sorry.

Used to go to the Twisted Wheel and the Torch with a load of mates from British steel that would have been about 1969 I signed up just after that and didn't get home much for quite a few years. 

born Hemsworth west yorks. supporters bus ran to Dirty leeds and Hillsbrough late 60s. uncle took me to see all the Yorkshire teams, then moved to Blackpool . choice was dirty leeds or the Massive thankfully got on the right  bus. lived in Barnsley 30 year but will never regret the decision to follow Wednesday .had some great times and met some brilliant fellow owls

My dad was a lifelong Wednesday supporter..took me to my first game around 1957-8, been a supporter ever since.

My dad died in 1967 when I was 15 which left me without any parents so getting to Wednesday was always dificult until I got my first car around 1972.

Went to most home games in the 70's, have seen some very bad times, I remember sitting in the south Stand, I was the only person sat on the entire row of seats.

Met up with some great guys in the 80s and 90s, we used to get to go to most home games and a lot of away matches.

Lost touch after I set up my own business, and had to work every Saturday, but still managed to get to as many games as possible.

I now work for the NHS, they have call on me for some very long and awkward hours, but have managed to get to more games this season than I have in the last 5-6 years.

It was always difficult supporting Wednesday when I was a kid, living close to Manchester, but I have stuck it through, all the bullying etc, the Mrs is a Supporter now, my daughter has been to a few games this year..she used to come with me in the 90's, but now lives away so finds it difficult to fit many matches in.

Someone on here said ' I didn't chose Wednesday, Wednesday chose me' I think that is very very true

WTID

Born in Herefordshire - Hereford fan - Torquay to Darlo - been there.

Then I went to Sheff as a student - what to do? Never Pigsville as they bricked our bus one time.

So it was Wednesday - up the steps & ont kop - OMG - it was foookin masssive! But so friendly too.

From then on I was an Owl. Always will be.

Except when you play us of course. UTO!

Born in Herefordshire - Hereford fan - Torquay to Darlo - been there.

Then I went to Sheff as a student - what to do? Never Pigsville as they bricked our bus one time.

So it was Wednesday - up the steps & ont kop - OMG - it was foookin masssive! But so friendly too.

From then on I was an Owl. Always will be.

Except when you play us of course. UTO!

Bull the Owl  ;-)

Been a Wednesday fan since i was a young fella. Even though i'm an Aussie i love the blue and white wizards and have been to the UK twice to see them play - didn't get much return for my efforts. 0-0 against Stoke at Hillsborough and saw us get hammered 3-1 by Watford at Vicarage Road. But those games were not long after we got relegated from Premier League and you could see we were in trouble.

The reason i supported Wednesday was in Australia in the late 80's and 90's we use to get an hour's highlight of the weekend Prem games. At the time i was young loved football and looking for a side to follow who wasn't one of the big sides. Everyone wants to be Man Utd Liverpool Arsenal Chelsea. Not me and Wednesday caught my attention with the team we had back then. Waddle Bright Palmer Sheridan etc. So i was an Owls man and have followed them religiously ever since through good and bad - mainly bad. Hope to get back to UK sometime in the near future and see the mighty Owls hopefully have a win. 

Think Owls a decent following in Australia. Club should look into it.

Guest gilly_2012

I too live in Buxton and am a Steward at Buxton. Do i know you?

I'm sure will know one of my lot probably my old man who still follows Buxton around home and away i moved to Devon 8 years ago so i don't get to the silverlands anymore