WHY? Wednesday - People NOT from Sheffield

Guest Maxine

I do not drive an ambulance, I had some good friends there my best friend then worked at Blundell Park hotel I think she's landlady now. My son was born there, it was a nice place I just missed home. 

I don't get the ambulance bit.

seem to remember this REYT fit bird from me younger days, i wanted to, but never did - we used to flirt alot,

she was an Owls fan, lived on Wybers, but i was sure she drove an ambulance, or possibly a nurse -

or maybe that last bit was wishful thinking on my part. anyway, cant remember.. 

Guest Maxine

hey max, i think we are hijacking, what is one of the 'much better' threads in this section....

not that im suggesting we should, get a room... as such!

I know, there will be complaints tomorrow. Oh well we have history I bet our paths  have crossed. As such of course.

I'm from Hull. My auld fella is a talent scout and could get into every ground for free so when I was a nipper I'd get dragged to every City home game and every other week I'd be taken to the likes of Scarborough, York, Scunny, Ferriby, Halifax, Brid Town etc. After a while I started whinging and said to me dad "When are you going to take me to a proper big ground?" he said, "Ok, this season we'll go and see City away at a decent stadium." So, in September 1990, we sat in the North Stand and watched David Hirst bang four past Iain Hesford. Much to my father's distaste, I was hooked. I was eight years old at this point, a confirmed football obsessive after the 1990 World Cup and latched on to Wednesday like a leech. I watched the 1991 League Cup Final at my late grandparent's house and still remember the sound of Sheridan's shot hitting the inside of the of the post like it was yesterday. I remember staying up past my bedtime to watch the 3-3 with Derby in the cup on Sportsnight and Bright's header against the blunts. I made a jigsaw of the Owl logo for technology during my first year at high school. Pressman's heroic display against Spurs in early 94, Petrescu's idiotically casual finish against West Ham later that year. The 6-2 against Leeds during which Marc Degryse and Chris Waddle shared an understanding that only happens between two truly special players. Richey Humphries's chip against Leicester, my favourite ever Wednesday goal, that propelled us to the top of the table, and the superb strikes of Guy Whittingham at Anfield and O'Neil Donaldson at Stamford Bridge that showed we simply did not know when we were beaten. Carbone when we got thrashed by Blackburn, scoring from 40 yards then nutting Gallacher, Di Canio's goal against Everton.The game against Derby when we knew that we were down, beating Brighton 7-2 when it was pointless. Playing Rushen and Diamonds, Dagenham and other poo until Drew Talbot danced through to seal it. Chris Brunt playing like he was hungover against Barnsley in 06 until the last minute when he hit a 25 yard volley into the top corner, one of my rare appearances on the Kop. The thrills of the Leicester game when we clicnhed safety, the horror of the Palace relegation decider. The sheer optimism that came with Prutton's volley against Rochdale, in the game that made us think the team actually gave a throw now. Antonio against Brentford, the Wycombe game. And, on a perosnal level, the 3-1 against Hull last season. I'm off to bed now in my 1996 "tango" shirt with Blinker 11 on the back. WAWAW.

My reason is probably one of the weirdest: when I was about five years old I became fascinated with owls. My Arsenal-supporting dad told me to start supporting Wednesday for that reason, so I did. My best friend at school was a Charlton fan and he was collecting the Panini Football '87 stickers and he had a spare of Lawrie Madden which he gave me to start my own collection off. By my teens the owl obsession had died away but I stuck with the football. Now in my thirties I'm interested in the owls again and I've even self-published my own owl book. Despite nearly all my friends and family being either Arsenal or Palace fans, I've always stuck with Wednesday.

Not coming from anywhere near Sheffield, when I was younger I didn't really have much opinion on the Blunts, but in 1997 I went to the Play-off Final at Wembley with my Palace-supporting friends. After the match we were walking back down to the station and we kept getting fat, hulking, middle-aged pigs trying to start fights with us, even though we were just a bunch of scrawny teens minding our own business and trying to get home. That's when I realised why they're so despised.

Mum's side of the family come from Sheffield.

Sounds lame, but I did not chose to support Wednesday. For reasons not known, I have always supported them. Do not remember when I started to support, but must have been 6 or 7.

I'm from Hull. My auld fella is a talent scout and could get into every ground for free so when I was a nipper I'd get dragged to every City home game and every other week I'd be taken to the likes of Scarborough, York, Scunny, Ferriby, Halifax, Brid Town etc. After a while I started whinging and said to me dad "When are you going to take me to a proper big ground?" he said, "Ok, this season we'll go and see City away at a decent stadium." So, in September 1990, we sat in the North Stand and watched David Hirst bang four past Iain Hesford. Much to my father's distaste, I was hooked. I was eight years old at this point, a confirmed football obsessive after the 1990 World Cup and latched on to Wednesday like a leech. I watched the 1991 League Cup Final at my late grandparent's house and still remember the sound of Sheridan's shot hitting the inside of the of the post like it was yesterday. I remember staying up past my bedtime to watch the 3-3 with Derby in the cup on Sportsnight and Bright's header against the blunts. I made a jigsaw of the Owl logo for technology during my first year at high school. Pressman's heroic display against Spurs in early 94, Petrescu's idiotically casual finish against West Ham later that year. The 6-2 against Leeds during which Marc Degryse and Chris Waddle shared an understanding that only happens between two truly special players. Richey Humphries's chip against Leicester, my favourite ever Wednesday goal, that propelled us to the top of the table, and the superb strikes of Guy Whittingham at Anfield and O'Neil Donaldson at Stamford Bridge that showed we simply did not know when we were beaten. Carbone when we got thrashed by Blackburn, scoring from 40 yards then nutting Gallacher, Di Canio's goal against Everton.The game against Derby when we knew that we were down, beating Brighton 7-2 when it was pointless. Playing Rushen and Diamonds, Dagenham and other poo until Drew Talbot danced through to seal it. Chris Brunt playing like he was hungover against Barnsley in 06 until the last minute when he hit a 25 yard volley into the top corner, one of my rare appearances on the Kop. The thrills of the Leicester game when we clicnhed safety, the horror of the Palace relegation decider. The sheer optimism that came with Prutton's volley against Rochdale, in the game that made us think the team actually gave a throw now. Antonio against Brentford, the Wycombe game. And, on a perosnal level, the 3-1 against Hull last season. I'm off to bed now in my 1996 "tango" shirt with Blinker 11 on the back. WAWAW.

I remember that day well

1st of September 1990

I missed the game because I was in church getting married. :biggrin:

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Seeing as I'm enjoying reading this thread, it's only proper I should write a rare post. I grew up in Filey on the North Yorks coast, living on the sea front, and remember as a little lad watching Jack Charlton and the Wednesday team training on Filey beach. I was so young I can't remember whether it was a one-off or if I saw them a few times - can't have been often considering the distance - but for a long time Jack had a holiday home in Filey (maybe still does) so obviously thought he'd bring the lads for a sesh on the beach. At the time I didn't know who the players were (let's face it, they weren't household names at the time), but I remember watching them whacking balls around.

My Dad, a Leeds fan, then took me to my first ever match at Elland Road v Sunderland, but it was boring and didn't make an impression on me - think watching Wednesday on the beach had already won me over. So a little later, a family friend from Woodseats took me to see Wednesday v Newcastle in November 1983, cracking game, cracking atmosphere, we won 4-2 and that sealed my fate...  

Born in Rotherham. Dad always supported Wedmesday but couldn't afford to go with three young kids.

Between about 6-11 I supported at various times;

Newcastle (Mate at school did)

Villa (Liked the kit)

Celtic (got a Henrik Larsson pencil topper)

Real Madrid (Glory)

Marseille (Played as them on a ps1 game)

At age 11 we moved to Plymouth and though I never supported them I followed Argyle, though was more a Rugby guy

At 15 moved back to Rotherham, dad took me to two matches the season we finished 9th in the Championship and I've had a season ticket ever since!

Great to see so many Cornish cousins on here.

It's a rugby County, but my grandfather got me into football, he was a season ticket holder at Bournemouth, so always looked out for them. I've never had a true affiliation to any club, but just love football and wherever I lived, I'd watch the local team.

The Wednesday connection comes from 66, as it was the first FA Cup Final I watched in full, but PNE v WH was the first I saw. So why Wednesday? Was it the name, or the fact they went 2 up? I've no idea, but always watched out for them after that.

When I was relocated to South Yorkshire in 91, that was the opportunity. I bought a season ticket for 92/93 season without ever having been to Hillsborough and the first home game was against Villa. I was amazed when I got to my seat, it was just an incredible stadium and electric. Then there was David Hirst.

So the true love affair started then and been a season ticket holder ever since. I have some amazing memories and it was special to get to a Cup Final on my birthday as I never thought I'd ever get to one. UTO, WAWAW.

I'm a Cornishman and as a kid I could never find a club I liked and want to support. My dad liked football but doesn't follow a team, more of a rugby man. My bro is a big man utd fan but they never got my heart racing.

Now one day when I was 11 coming home from playing football dad stopped off at his local pub for a pint. We were only in there 10 minutes when I guy walked in with a cardboard box filled with rugby shirts and a few football shirts which turned out to be sheffield Wednesday shirts which he was selling cheap. I couldn't take my eyes off the Wednesday shirts and got my dad to buy one for me and because they were £2 each, I got the home and away shirt for £3!!! And from that day I've supported the owls.

Turns out Wednesday kits were made in a factory near to this pub and this guy worked there.

I'm now 32 with a owl tattooed on my hand, I make the 6 hour drive to sheffield whenever I can, I was up 2 weeks ago and I love my club.

Good god man...thank your lucky stars you didn't take a shine to the Aberdeen shirt then!

cool story bro!

I was born and raised in Essex, still here. My dad was a sports photographer and did a lot of athletics but never really got into football. My brother watched the League Cup final loss to Arsenal on the TV in 1993 and simply wanted the blue team to win.

I used to follow football and watch most of the big teams but never real had a club, then started to go to games with my brother and my dad and once you're in, you're in. Now I couldn't imagine supporting another club.

The other reason I give is that it's common sense.