WHY? Wednesday - People NOT from Sheffield

I grew up in Derbyshire and my old man was a football lover but did not really have a massive support for one team, maybe Forrest if he had to choose but he just loved the game.

The reason why I ended up supporting us was the first match I watched and actually took notice of was vs Arsenal 1993 cup final. After that even though we lost I was hooked. My dad was always watching the football on tv and as I was young I never managed a full game but this was the first 90 mins I sat through. Most of my friends supported Derby or Man U but that was never really a option for me. I went to a Derby game before Wednesday but I never got excited much and did not feel anything towards them. 

Im interested to hear the different stories of people who follow Wednesday that are not from Sheffield.

Luckily I only lived 45 mins from Hillsborough and It could of been worse I could of supported Arsenal or even more so Wimbledon!

My hero was waddle and I always had a soft spot for big Kev. 

I'm a Cornishman and as a kid I could never find a club I liked and want to support. My dad liked football but doesn't follow a team, more of a rugby man. My bro is a big man utd fan but they never got my heart racing.

Now one day when I was 11 coming home from playing football dad stopped off at his local pub for a pint. We were only in there 10 minutes when I guy walked in with a cardboard box filled with rugby shirts and a few football shirts which turned out to be sheffield Wednesday shirts which he was selling cheap. I couldn't take my eyes off the Wednesday shirts and got my dad to buy one for me and because they were £2 each, I got the home and away shirt for £3!!! And from that day I've supported the owls.

Turns out Wednesday kits were made in a factory near to this pub and this guy worked there.

I'm now 32 with a owl tattooed on my hand, I make the 6 hour drive to sheffield whenever I can, I was up 2 weeks ago and I love my club.

I'm born in Jersey where there is no local team so everyone in school would support one of the glorified teams at the time… I actualy had a family of Manchester United supporters and my dad tried to rail road me into following him and supporting them also.

I guess i was rebellious and when wednesday beat united in the league cup, thats when i decided to nails my colors to wednesday and have been an owl ever since. 

Unfortunately living in both Jersey and now living in Thailand i haven't got to seen wednesday much in my life time. 

But like before i also have an owl tattoo on my shoulder and do my best to follow games and news anyway i can while living the other side of the world.

Guest Watsonswfc

I too am a Cornishman and Wednesday through and through. They played a pre season friendly down in Bodmin in the early 90's when I was about 5-6. Can't quite remember the year! Anyway..my old man took me and I watched waddle et al and won the signed football in the raffle and ever since then I have been Wednesday! Go to as many games as I can physically get to..mainly away games in the south/south west for obvious reasons but get to a home game or two every season. Wouldn't change supporting us for anything!

Born in Rotherham but only a few hundred yards from boundary.

Mother was a Sheffielder and though Dad was Irish he moved to Sheffield in late 50s and soon started going to watch Wednesday with his workmates.

Grandad went to watch both Sheffield teams, it was the normal thing to do years ago.

Guest Butcher8

If you don't hate the blades your not an owl

I couldn't give two shits about the piggy rumblezoids. I'm not obsessed with them, I don't look for their results, I don't cheer when they lose! I just don't care.

My dads a blade, he's the same, he's not bothered about what Wednesday are doing unless we are playing each other - then it's all out war

Born in Oxford, grew up in Spain and moved back to Oxford when I was six. Had an uncle who played football at a decent level and was a Derby County fan, he took me to my first football match against Sheffield Wednesday. The Wednesday fans were particularly rowdy that day and I loved it. Shaped my life ever since. I was the only Owls fan at school until a new kid moved down from Rawmarsh. We would go with his dad to matches and then joined the London Owls. Unbelievably, in those days they would pick up in Oxford on route to Sheffield. There were quite a few of us down here, there still is, but eventually they stopped picking up and if we wanted to travel up we had to go to London. As a teen, I was going to about a dozen games a season, but I wanted more.

I can remember four of us, and another two from Banbury, would jump the mail train on Friday night, don't think we ever paid. We'd get to Sheffield early hours Sat morning, go to the all nighter at Samantha's and then off to the game on Saturday. Out for a few beers on Saturday night, before splitting up and hitching back to Oxford, sometimes not getting home til breakfast on Sunday. Did that for three years until eventually, I decided to move to Sheffield. People think you're crazy but they were great times, they really were.

I'm from North Derbys, my first game at Hillsborough was the 2-1 beating of the mighty Spurs in November 1960. It was their first defeat of the season and they went on to win the title with us finishing second. I stood on the Kop, and the crowd of 56000 was magical. I was hooked, and have covered tens of thousands of miles since in following the Owls.

I'm still waiting for another season like it.

Guest Big Guns

Born in Oxford, grew up in Spain and moved back to Oxford when I was six. Had an uncle who played football at a decent level and was a Derby County fan, he took me to my first football match against Sheffield Wednesday. The Wednesday fans were particularly rowdy that day and I loved it. Shaped my life ever since. I was the only Owls fan at school until a new kid moved down from Rawmarsh. We would go with his dad to matches and then joined the London Owls. Unbelievably, in those days they would pick up in Oxford on route to Sheffield. There were quite a few of us down here, there still is, but eventually they stopped picking up and if we wanted to travel up we had to go to London. As a teen, I was going to about a dozen games a season, but I wanted more.

I can remember four of us, and another two from Banbury, would jump the mail train on Friday night, don't think we ever paid. We'd get to Sheffield early hours Sat morning, go to the all nighter at Samantha's and then off to the game on Saturday. Out for a few beers on Saturday night, before splitting up and hitching back to Oxford, sometimes not getting home til breakfast on Sunday. Did that for three years until eventually, I decided to move to Sheffield. People think you're crazy but they were great times, they really were.

You live in sheffield now mate ?

Born and raised in Normanton, West Yorkshire, in the shadow of Leeds. Neither of my parents followed football when I was growing up, though my mum was a lapsed Leeds season ticket holder who was put off when huliganism raised its ugly head.

I was getting into football just as Leeds won their title and Man U were starting to dominate, so most of my mates either supported the local team (Leeds) or the successful one. I have always had a desire to be different, be it my music tastes, having a beard when they were out of fashion or whatever and was no different then. So I was looking for a new team.

Then I happened to sit down and watch our League Cup Semi Final against Blackburn in '93. The away game specifically. It was honestly the best I had ever seen a team play at that point and I was hooked. The next day at school I was raving about them and saying I was going to support them. I've never looked back.

Ironically my best friend at the time followed suit. But he then moved to Newquay so his luck was out. My other mates have always teased me that I was copying him, not the other way around. That's not how I remember it though. Then again, I go to 35-40 games a season whereas those mates (All Leeds and Man U fans) don't get to any so I feel I won that argument in the end.

Guest badger the owl

I'm a North Derbyshire season ticket holder and it's a 52 mile round trip .

My dad followed the owls in the 70s and 80s .

He took me a couple of times and once i saw the stadium i was hooked .

I remember Mark Chamberlain playing .

Born and raised in Normanton, West Yorkshire, in the shadow of Leeds. Neither of my parents followed football when I was growing up, though my mum was a lapsed Leeds season ticket holder who was put off when huliganism raised its ugly head.

I was getting into football just as Leeds won their title and Man U were starting to dominate, so most of my mates either supported the local team (Leeds) or the successful one. I have always had a desire to be different, be it my music tastes, having a beard when they were out of fashion or whatever and was no different then. So I was looking for a new team.

Then I happened to sit down and watch our League Cup Semi Final against Blackburn in '93. The away game specifically. It was honestly the best I had ever seen a team play at that point and I was hooked. The next day at school I was raving about them and saying I was going to support them. I've never looked back.

Ironically my best friend at the time followed suit. But he then moved to Newquay so his luck was out. My other mates have always teased me that I was copying him, not the other way around. That's not how I remember it though. Then again, I go to 35-40 games a season whereas those mates (All Leeds and Man U fans) don't get to any so I feel I won that argument in the end.

Used to see a few lads from Newquay at matches in the South but haven't seen em for a while

born and brought up in mexboro which was exclusively a Wednesday town back then so easy choice for me .when leeds came to the fore in the late 60/70s a few mexboro worm bandwagon jumpers formed a supporters club for them so my hatred lays more in that direction than the blunts .