WHY? Wednesday - People NOT from Sheffield

Born in Northamptonshire, now live in Bedfordshire.

Took an interest in playing football at the age of 6 with a friend. His wednesday supporting Dad cottoned on to our interest and took us to Hillsborough. I remember going a couple of times in 1990/91 and being smuggled in to the Home End at Nottingham Forest with our Wednesday scarfs stuffed down our coats in 1992.

I wish I could come to see them more than I do, the last few years I've been able to see them more when I was at Uni in Derby, or going to many away games when I lived in London.

I bloody love this Club!

Guest JonTheOwl66

No moved back to Oxford a few years ago, now split my time between here and Spain. Still manage about a dozen games a season though.

I always imagined you to live in Scotland.

I was originally born in Hull and moved to Sheffield in 1988 before defecting down south to Watford 6 years ago now.

Didn't really follow football until I was around 10 years old and before moving to Sheffield had a few games watching Hull City at the old Boothferry Park but nothing I fell in love with before watching Wednesday.

I orginally (and mistakenly) fell in with few kids at school who were Sheff Utd fans and took a few of their games in back in the days when Deane and Agana were on the books for them - standing on the terrace at Brammall Lane never felt right and never felt comfortable.

Then Wednesday came along - we weren't particularly decent at that time but the whole event and feel of going to a game when it was standing on the Kop was completely different to how it is now and part of that was the whole romance of it all for me.

Originally from Wigan. Peter Atherton is my mums cousin, and we used to get free tickets and players bar tickets most games during his 5 years stint at the club. After we got relegated and he left I couldn't shake off the feeling I get at away days so carried on going on my own. I have been going ever since. Im 32 now. Now live in Holmfirth so im near work in Manchester and 30mins away from football also. Just booked 2 days off for Forest Away. Love following Wednesday away.

Really enjoyed reading these! Some great stories. 

I grew up in Thurgoland. It's a little bit of a South Yorkshire no man's land. It's sort of Barnsley, but sort of Sheffield. Not immediately close to either. My Dad was never into football as a kid, he raced motorbikes. 

In 94 i became engrossed in the World Cup. I was 5 at the time and just started kicking a ball round at school and home and everywhere in between. My birthday came in September, and i remember an afternoon at my Gran's in Grenoside. There was a blue carrier bag with the Sheffield Wednesday logo on it when i got there. It turns out my Dad had mentioned my newfound love to an old school mate of his who was an Owl. He shot down to the megastore and bought a pencil case, pen, ruler, stickers and a scarf for me before it was too late. 

Also in the bag was a pair of match tickets for me and my Dad. It was Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester United the following month. I went and that was that! Sir David Hirst the match winner was forever to be my hero. I've never had chance to thank my Dad's mate, but i thank Wednesday for sending one of their own to choose me.