OFFICIAL - Chris Kirkland Signs

Terrible signing, might have been ok on a pay as you play deal but to give him a two year contract is ridiculous.

Still, it should give our medical department something to keep them busy!!

In the past the previous regimes may ave signed crocks. But do you honestly think Milan will ?

I think this will be a brilliant signing, just what we need. I'm amazed how many people on here seem to know more about this guys current medical situation than those at hillsborough ( no I'm not. This is OT and full of bleeding know alls)

Good luck Chris. Welcome to the MASSIVE

Guest watson_swfc

Free transfer and we wont have broken the wage structure to sign him so low risk, potentially high reward situation if he can regain form and fitness. With Dave looking to send Jameson out on loan, and with either Weaver or Bywater looking likely to leave i wouldnt be surprised to see another keeper through the doors.

Nice to hear from you Baggiehy

I apologise for kicking off a fight. But there is a lot better out there especially for a No. 1 keeper. He's way too injury prone and was 7 years ago. The type of injuries he has, only get worse over time. I would be surprised if he lasts 20 games. Just have a good back up in case

Guest Fedor

I apologise for kicking off a fight. But there is a lot better out there especially for a No. 1 keeper. He's way too injury prone and was 7 years ago. The type of injuries he has, only get worse over time. I would be surprised if he lasts 20 games. Just have a good back up in case

Apart from injuries , what was his form like when he played.

Just have a back up incase....

3441372.png

bywater_574993.jpg

_48621061_jex_10994_de53-1.jpg

Staton confirmed he knew nothing of this just on twitter to me. Clearly not the Owl we thought he was

TBF most clubs conduct their business without informing the media on every aspect of progress.

This is a strange signing imo - could be inspired - could be wretched.

I remember Kirkland as a young keeper and it looked for all the world England had found their long term answer to our problems - then it started to go wrong physically.

And for all his immense promise Kirkland never did reach those heights and he disappeared off the radar - quite error prone at times too

Could be a solid Championship keeper - he hasn't been premier class for some time.

Blighted by injuries - hopefully this will be a relaunch for his career and he can still get to fulfill that early promise - to some degree at least

You say this, but then 07-08: 37 games; 08-09: 32 games; 09-10: 32 games. Not played a whole lot since then, but being kept out by Al-Habsi isn't anything to be ashamed about. As is said in interviews referred to above, been fit for a lot of last two years too. So your assertions might stack up seven years ago but looking at the last six years, it doesn't really add up.

Absolutely gobsmacked by this signing - I think he's an excellent keeper, easily Premiership standard when fit. I feel genuinely amazed that we've secured his signature - and to me this feels like a real statement of intent.

I think we are all a little gobsmacked.

Big statement of intent. The mind boggles with regards to which out field player's we might bring in.

You have to ask yourself, dave jones and mm are no mugs, dave jones is very experienced and knows what he's doing with signing players, it's not as if people don't know about the troubles kirkland has had, would dave jones really want to blow his budget for a keeper if he wasn't sure?

This is either going to turn out another master stroke at hillsborough or i'm going to lose abit of faith and wonder why did they risk it unless they know something we all don't?

Guest Paulos_Medication

Is there any mdrol in your avatar?

No sorry, but give me five minutes with a pack of smarties and a biro and that will be a tenner mate.

Maybe I should turn a few packs of m&m's in to anti-depressants while I am at it. I could make a fortune outside wembley on Saturday.

This. remember the spaff-fest over Cody McDonald, last summer?

Yeah that was proved to be way OTT.

Mind you ALF turned out ok for Reading.

I think the Heaton spaffing is a bit over the top but I still think i'd rather have him than Kirkland.

Wonder what the breakdown with Heaton was?

You've said pretty much the same thing twice now mate - and we all know about his injuries.

But his talent is undoubted....surely you can confirm that? A calcualted gamble - could be a masterstroke with Bywater and possibly Weaver around to provide cover we've got nowt to lose and a top quality keeper to gain.

What the Cardiff fans had to say about him was very promising.

Not really enough to big the guy up though is it.

Heaton was offered a contract renewal by Man U at 22/23 and turned it down to seek first team football. Says a lot about his as player and person: you don't get offered renewal by Man U at that age unless good and fact turned it down to play, says a lot about attitude.

Seemed to bet getting resounding vote of confidence from fans of club he was leaving. When does that happen? Next to never.

Kirkland is/was quality. When he first came on scene over ten years ago, I thought he'd have career Joe Hart is now having. He was that good. Seemed head and shoulders above rest his age. Sure he'll do well for us, if can stay fit. Just disappointed about Heaton because stability in net is a good thing so age, injury record and quality would have boded well for having good keeper for years to come.

Thing is, an whilst I get what you are saying, Heaton probably looked at the Ben Foster situation at Man U and thought it wasn't worth wasting his time. Good on him for what he did, but I dont think the kid deserves as much build up as he gets on here.

Plus - its only been rumours, nothing concrete.

I get the thing about building up with a younger keeper, but if and I appreciate it's a big if, Kirkland stays fit - it has the potential to be a superb signing. A very experienced prem keeper.