Neil Mellor

Guest intercity0wl

You'd hope so, we need a pacy player up top unless he's planning on using JJ and possibly Dyer?

That would leave us thin on the wings though wouldn't it?

Unless we're playing a variation on 4-5-1, and then we'd need a couple more in central midfield.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Preston are under the impression we've got an endless pot of gold.... thats why theyre reluctant to do the same deal as they did with Hayes and Charlton.

There comes a point though, for all involved.

I reckon that Preston will start to panic in the next couple of days

Guest BirdonaMaguire

That would leave us thin on the wings though wouldn't it?

Unless we're playing a variation on 4-5-1, and then we'd need a couple more in central midfield.

Semedo and an other?

I'm purely speculating but we're six shy of Megson's 9 at the mo

I'm guessing that's the intention of Megson's article?

They tried to put pressure on us by claiming there were Championship clubs lurking and now we've answered back. If there is limited interest in him, as seems to be the case, then frankly we hold almost all the cards.

Guest wilyfox

i feel a bit sorry for MM. GM appears to have given him a list of players to persue that are beyond our reach. nearly every player we're linked with is from a higher level. aiming above our station all the time was likely to lead to disappointment. Mellor made no secret of his desire to return to the champ - yet we waste our time continuing the chase. GM said Koumas will only join if there isn't a better offer on the table from the league above. Leicester have just signed Schmeichel, St.Ledger and Nugent. add them to players already there like Vassell and Yakubu - chances are they're in for a good season. why would L.Dyer abandon a push for the prem to scrap with us in league one. GM has to be realistic with his targets to give MM a fighting chance of doing some business. the longer it takes to assemble the squad, the greater the chance of a negative impact on our results at the start of the season. for promotion, we need to hit the ground running with a good start and show consistency from there. now is the time for more urgency as GM has already said. forget Mellor and move on...

We should've got this sorted ages ago. The player wanted to come and Preston wanted to sell.

I don't want to criticise but ***** sort it out Manderic or we will be lucky to finish mid table.

at last someone's grasped the nettle...

we're arsing about with this lot...

whilst others with less to do are getting further ahead, and charlton are clearing the supermarket shelves like they expect a war to break out...

whilst the 3 signings are an improvement on last season, non are the big hitting show stoppers to fire us up the division and into the top 2 places...

mellor should score 20+ next season, how many other c/f's would we need to buy, try, and write off before we find one to achieve that number...

we've added 3 squad players, we need to add at least 4 quality players now...

MM should ring the agent and say this is the deal, you contact us from now on.

We should move on and look for alternatives because we could miss out on others.

Call there bluff.....take it or leave it.

Think we already have. Hence the stories coming out from both parties over this week.

To be honest I could take or leave the Mellor deal at this point. Ideally I'd like to see him come here but we can't be waiting around for the next 4 weeks for him to then turn around and join Southampton.

The deal is on the table. If we're haggling over relatively small amounts then I think we should push the boat out a little further if needs be, but other than that we should take a take it or leave it approach. Either the player wants to come here or he doesn't. Let's just see how much all this talk about wanting to play for the club really matters.

Charlton did exactly that They issued ultimatums that they wouldnt wait for ever for Danny Green and Rhoys Wiggins, saying sign or they would look elsewhere. They both duly signed.

But I don't think the offers from Charlton were as hard a bargain as we are needing to make at the moment. Wage bill increased 25% in January. That's massive and must be holding us back from recruiting this term.

Edited by Anthndav

They're relying on the agent sorting the deal with a championship club....

What will work in our favour is that Watford came straight out and confirmed the rumour as bullsh1t as predicted.

Once the interest drys up or is confirmed as a non starter, they're obviously pushed into a corner.