Neil Mellor

Guest intercity0wl

Guest Sheff Owl

DONCASTER Rovers striker Billy Sharp has rejected a £3.25m move to Southampton because he wants to play in the Premier League.

Sharp, who was sold by Sheffield United for £1.1m last summer, was offered the opportunity to move to the Saints by Rovers chairman John Ryan.

It is the first time that Sharp has been allowed to talk to another club – including Ipswich Town who lodged a bid of £2.3m for his services last month.

However, his decision to snub the Saints – and a reunion with his former Sflaphorpe United manager Nigel Adkins – underlines his desire to move to the top-flight this summer.

With one of the best goalscoring records in the country, the 25-year-old feels now is the time to join the game’s elite.

Don't get me wrong 20 goals last season is an excellent achievement but I don't think he is so good that we should be hanging on and pinning our season on him signing, Other players are available if he doesn't want to commit, move on.

After all Mellor has been around for a while and only had a couple of good goal scoring seasons so nothing to guarantee 20+ next season anyway. Peterborough showed last season through Mackail Smith that sheer pace and work rate that you can bang them in for fun in this league and this is the route I would like to go down. Rumours about Clinton being wanted by Charlton, would a swap for Wright Philips be a bad deal?

I'd still like Mellor here.

The posts where people suddenly say "sod him, dint want him anyway" always make me laugh. It's 2011 lads, there is no such thing as loyalty in football anymore, just business.

Lets find his twitter and show him some love, it worked for Milan.

If Mellor ends up at a Championship club then it is irritating and frustrating that player and agent have used us in this way. But it's all part of the normal business of football. There isn't too much we can do about it and we shouldn't be too critical of those involved as they've done what they needed to do to give themselves the best situation.

It's sad to see that the predictable process of Mellor's overnight transformation from hero/saviour to mercenary/useless is already showing signs of being underway.

I must say I was convinced that Megson didn't want Mellor back as we seemingly made no effort to secure his future before the end of last season. Maybe we are now paying the price for that lack of decisiveness?

Don't get me wrong 20 goals last season is an excellent achievement but I don't think he is so good that we should be hanging on and pinning our season on him signing, Other players are available if he doesn't want to commit, move on.

After all Mellor has been around for a while and only had a couple of good goal scoring seasons so nothing to guarantee 20+ next season anyway. Peterborough showed last season through Mackail Smith that sheer pace and work rate that you can bang them in for fun in this league and this is the route I would like to go down. Rumours about Clinton being wanted by Charlton, would a swap for Wright Philips be a bad deal?

It would be an amazing deal. But why would charlton do that? BWP is worth a lot more than Morrison.

Are you sure it isnt just somebody getting the Morrisons mixed up?

Guest BirdonaMaguire

If Mellor ends up at a Championship club then it is irritating and frustrating that player and agent have used us in this way. But it's all part of the normal business of football. There isn't too much we can do about it and we shouldn't be too critical of those involved as they've done what they needed to do to give themselves the best situation.

It's sad to see that the predictable process of Mellor's overnight transformation from hero/saviour to mercenary/useless is already showing signs of being underway.

I must say I was convinced that Megson didn't want Mellor back as we seemingly made no effort to secure his future before the end of last season. Maybe we are now paying the price for that lack of decisiveness?

^^^^

that

Edited by BirdonaMaguire

It would be an amazing deal. But why would charlton do that? BWP is worth a lot more than Morrison.

Are you sure it isnt just somebody getting the Morrisons mixed up?

Good point forgot about that and maybe getting carried away from reading the optimism thread.

Guest Sheff Owl

If we could add Semedo, Dyer and Mellor to the signings already - that would be a cracking bit of business and then not to mention hopefully Batth will come back along with i would expect a few more through the door.

I just hope it's just not the pay check that Mellor is looking at.

I'm not writing off Mellor yet, I'd like him to come and I think he will However if he doesn't, should we turn to Jason Scotland? He's a totally different type of player to Mellor of course but do people think he would be an option? I only picked him because he's already been linked by Milan himself and I didn't want to start another stampede of about 100 strikers who may or may not be able to do a job for us.

I think he's a good player available for a reasonable price (I think). But I think he's been hedging his bets long enough.

Megson wants players who want to be here, not because they are doing us a favour. Time to make your mind up Neil and live with it.

Same goes for Koumas. If we're his safety net then I'd question whether he'd be the right man.

Edited by Bluesteel

This story has come straight from his agent and is designed to alert Championship teams to his availability.

Mellor himself has said he has a lot of respect for us and would love to play for us again one day but would like to play Championship next season if possible (which is why the deal with us is stalling as opposed to the wages thing the media are reporting).

As yet no one else has put an offer in for him, and if it stays this way he will be an SWFC player soon. If not, we move on.

Top Post. Agents doing what they do making everybody aware of his availability and trying to create a market for his services. As stated if this ploy does'nt work he will sign for us. We can't hang around waiting lets move on and get somebody else in.

Edited by Soul Power

Guest wilyfox

We'll get him, Doncaster wont get him and nor will Watford with them being skint.

Only Southampton could stand in our way at the moment.

Watford skint?! £3.5m for Danny Graham +15% sell-on fee for Ashley Young...

I wasn't that bothered about Mellor at the end of the season.

Admittedly, felt indebted to him for, basically, keeping us from getting precariously close to relegation, and his goals should count double considering the standard of his service last season. However, he's had an attitude problem his whole career; at least, that's what it's seemed viewing him from distance. For me, his lack of commitment has been shown by his inability to keep a consistent weight. Well, more aptly, he's kept a consistent weight, that being over(weight). Megson's talked about their being an endemic attitude problem at the club, and i'm not sure he'd improve that.

However, my view's been, slightly, changed by the news that he's come back a stone lighter; particularly, when you'd expect him to come back even more out of shape. Suggests he might have realised his time's running out and it's time to put the hard yards in. If that is the case, might play his first ever consistent full season, and be a real asset to someone, whether at this level or one rung above.

Watford skint?! £3.5m for Danny Graham +15% sell-on fee for Ashley Young...

And £1m for Will Buckley - plus Cowie has left so another largish (for them) wage gone

Really don't see Mellor as a Watford type signing but they have a new head of player recruitment who may have a big difference of opinion to his predecessor