Neil Mellor

Guest intercity0wl

Published on Thursday 7 July 2011 10:00 formatPubDate("Thu Jul 07 10:00:00 BST 2011");

gary megson believes that Sheffield Wednesday cannot afford to start the season without Neil Mellor or another new striker who can deliver goals.

gary megson believes that Sheffield Wednesday cannot afford to start the season without Neil Mellor or another new striker who can deliver goals.

The Owls manager is beginning to believe that he may have to look elsewhere as the Mellor saga drags on and there is no certainty that last season’s loan star will be returning from Preston.

Megson also feels that the recent records of strikers already at the club cannot give him confidence about their ability to get goals.

“Neil Mellor scored 20 of our goals, and that was without taking any penalties,” he said.

“It’s important that we bring somebody in with that kind of record. We don’t have anybody else who scored that number of goals for us.

“The Mellor thing is taking a long time. Sooner or later we’re going to have to move on and bring somebody else in.

“We can’t start the season just with the forwards that we have.”

Although there have been talks this summer over Mellor, involving Wednesday, Preston and the player’s agent, they appear not to have been straightforward - though at one stage it appeared that a fee had been agreed - and ultimately a deal has yet to be thrashed out that suits all parties. Megson said: “I think it’s got to be negotiated between the two clubs.”

The Owls boss also says that Mellor was unhappy over reports that wrongly claimed he was on £9,000 or £10,000 a

week: “I don’t think he’s on anything like what was mentioned in the media.”

Nevertheless Megson knows that affordability still must play a part in any transfer. Mellor would like to return to Hillsborough but is bound to be tempted by interest from the Championship. He has been linked with Doncaster, Southampton and Watford.

Megson also wants to land winger Lloyd Dyer from Leicester. The squad have now begun a week’s work in Austria.

Former captain Tommy Miller has turned down an offer from Bradford City with a view to moving to a Championship club.

I think the above article is trying to give mandaric a nudge to make things happen, can we afford him or not, I think that's what megsons getting at!

I think the above article is trying to give mandaric a nudge to make things happen, can we afford him or not, I think that's what megsons getting at!

I think you're reading too much into a simple article.

It's obvious we will have to move onto other targets if we don't sign Mellor soon.

GM will have a rough date in his head that if things haven't progressed, then he'll need to move on.

I think you're reading too much into a simple article.

It's obvious we will have to move onto other targets if we don't sign Mellor soon.

GM will have a rough date in his head that if things haven't progressed, then he'll need to move on.

I've no doubt megson would've wanted all his players in place for the Austria trip.

I'd much rather someone new come in. Mellor doesn't inspire me.

I know what your saying because, as a lot of people have pointed out, he was very lazy and nowhere near the starting XI for some months, but then suddenly started scoring again.

Regardless of how well he did / didn't do in certain months, he still scored goals.

My concern was that he's not going to get us a goal every game or every two games. He'll get two or three in one match and then that's it for a bit.

When I watch Soccer Saturday when I don't go to the matches, there's always certain players names you see pop up EVERY week . I'm pretty sure other fans for other clubs wouldn't have seen Mellor's name too many times....

I know what your saying because, as a lot of people have pointed out, he was very lazy and nowhere near the starting XI for some months, but then suddenly started scoring again.

Regardless of how well he did / didn't do in certain months, he still scored goals.

My concern was that he's not going to get us a goal every game or every two games. He'll get two or three in one match and then that's it for a bit.

When I watch Soccer Saturday when I don't go to the matches, there's always certain players names you see pop up EVERY week . I'm pretty sure other fans for other clubs wouldn't have seen Mellor's name too many times....

Stop the world .......I want to get off !!!!!

i would love us to sign Mellor but if he is the reason for the hold up then he can do one, we need to move on

he either really wants to play for us (like he keeps saying) or he wants to play in the championship

Guest BirdonaMaguire

I assume we're actually after two strikers this summer, whether Mellor comes or not? Things have been rather quiet apart from a supposedly inaccurate report about Jason Scotland haven't they?

You'd hope so, we need a pacy player up top unless he's planning on using JJ and possibly Dyer?