Neil Mellor

Guest intercity0wl

Megson will know by now if he is coming or not. If he isnt coming (and by all accounts it seems he is not) then i`m sure Gary is looking for a replacement as I type this. We definately need a striker before the season starts, we probably need two.

Im confident we will find the right man.

Mellor scored in 9 league games last year - hardly prolific. He's not good enough for the championship so why bother with him, look for someone we can develop like madine and when we hopefully go up he will be good enough

The thing about Mellor is, there's only our fans that like him, Preston fans in the main don't like him, clubs that he's linked with, the fans seem to say they can get better than him, he even divides opinion amongst us. If truth be told a lot of Wednesday fans like him cos his dad played for us. He's a good player at this level and I hope he comes, but we need to stop fannying around and sort it out.

He isn't the great white hope we all think he is, but he'll do a decent job

Guest Sheff Owl

Obviously i can understand Mellor wants to play at the highest level possible but to my knowledge no Championship club has actually confirmed a interest - it's just been rumours in a paper, on the internet etc.

Surely for the season he had last year (which was a good one) someone would have taken a punt by now?

If he is trying to hold out i don't think anything will happen as regards with a Championship club.

Guest londonowl1

I think we all agree Mellor is not a great player!

But in our current situation in league 1 i think he is about our best realistic option.

Mellor scored in 9 league games last year - hardly prolific. He's not good enough for the championship so why bother with him, look for someone we can develop like madine and when we hopefully go up he will be good enough

i have to agree...

i'm not responsible for balancing the books...

so i'd like to see mellor here +1 other decent striker...

but, in reality, we might be better getting someone younger and developing him into a player who can rock the championship...

as it seems it's unanimous (among the championship sides, and the majority of us)...that mellors not a cutting edge championship player...

:biggrin:

Just getting a bit annoying Mellor thinking he's better than he is.

If we can get the deal done - great. But if not we can go out and get someone else who would jump at the chance to play for Sheffield Wednesday and stop weeing about with "superstar" Mellor.

I'd give him until Friday to sign in time for our first pre season game in England. If not, see ya!

No one outside of the two clubs know for sure what the problem is do we?

All this Mellor is holding out for a Championship club might be wide of the mark.

Could the delay possibly be he and his agent are are wranglng over the terms of the cancellation of the remainder of his current contract at Preston? i.e. Preston want him off the books, Mellor wants out but is loath to kiss bye bye to a years worth of his lucrative salary there when he knows he will be on much less with us? Could this be a stand off and someone is waiting for the other party to fold?

No one outside of the two clubs know for sure what the problem is do we?

All this Mellor is holding out for a Championship club might be wide of the mark.

Could the delay possibly be he and his agent are are wranglng over the terms of the cancellation of the remainder of his current contract at Preston? i.e. Preston

want him off the books, Mellor wants out but is loath to kiss

bye bye to a years worth of his lucrative salary there when

he knows he will be on much less with us? Could this be

a stand off and someone is waiting for the other party to

fold?

I'd say it's definitely a massive game of poker, but you can tell by the press releases that there's a bit of carrot dangling going on from the Preston/Mellor camps.

I just hope we get on with our business in the meantime and let them do the sweating.

Milan is a shrewd business man who seems to get his way, look at the takeover, he let it go to the wire to get a satisfactory deal. Let's not forget we've been thru this before with Mellor, last summer the deal was on/off and that's why Heffernan was signed. I just hope we don't go and sign someone again to warm the bench for a year

Whether he stays at Preston or comes here, he'll be in a side that should be challenging at the top end of the league all year and with better service that he got last season.

With that in mind, you can get him at 25/1 to be the League One top goalscorer next year.

Good value.

How many strikers who score 20 goals in this division would jump at the chance to sign for us? And if we could find one, would Milan be prepared to put his hand in his pocket to buy one

It is amazing to think there are people who really believe Mellor is a 20 league goals a year player? He is not.... and just because he had some relative success last year (13 league goals...half which came from two games against Hartlepool and MK Dons (before they got their acts together).

How many think he will score 20 goals this season in Div 1? Either for Preston or Wednesday.......if he can't find a Championship club to take him on.....which I doubt?

It is amazing to think there are people who really believe Mellor is a 20 league goals a year player? He is not.... and just because he had some relative success last year (13 league goals...half which came from two games against Hartlepool and MK Dons (before they got their acts together).

How many think he will score 20 goals this season in Div 1? Either for Preston or Wednesday.......if he can't find a Championship club to take him on.....which I doubt?

He made a solid contribution in a inconsistent team that had a poo poo midfield and the key thing is, he makes chances for himself.

We need two strikers in, we had the nucleus of a solid team forming in the last month of the season and thats what we need to recreate if possible.

But I'm getting the impression in the media that Mellor is sucking up to all potential suitors and will end up weeing a few people off. Hopefully not us!

Guest bringbackbenni

He has been waiting to see what the new home shirt looked like before making his mind up.

Not be long now!