Neil Mellor

Guest intercity0wl

McDonald looks OK from what I've seen of him but 25 goals for his local teams in the bottom division is no proof that he could do it for us. Mellor is proven and while I'm not adverse to taking a gamble on a youngster like Baldock, we still need someone like Mellor.

I have a feeling that Sky story is the last resort from the agent regergitating (sp) old enquiries.

^^^

Last attempt to try and get Mellor a better move than what he would get with us.

Hopefully nothing comes of it and if it doesn't, it's 100% nailed on we will sign him IMO.

Preston NEED to sell him.

Mellor himself has said he has a lot of respect for us and would love to play for us again one day but would like to play Championship next season if possible (which is why the deal with us is stalling as opposed to the wages thing the media are reporting).

If that's true I hope Megson has told him to make his mind up sharpish or bugger off.

The last thing we want next season is A) To miss out on other potential replacements because Mellor was fannying around trying to court Championship clubs, or B) have another Tudgay on our hands, happy to sign for the money, but would rather be playing somewhere else in a higher league.

Watford skint?! £3.5m for Danny Graham +15% sell-on fee for Ashley Young...

They have had £6M in recently but my pals a Watford season ticket holder, speaking to him today actually and he said that money wont be spent on players. New owner has bills to pay apparently, they owe a lot of money and have even loaned NEXT seasons tickets money to pay some bills.

If that's true I hope Megson has told him to make his mind up sharpish or bugger off.

The last thing we want next season is A) To miss out on other potential replacements because Mellor was fannying around trying to court Championship clubs, or B) have another Tudgay on our hands, happy to sign for the money, but would rather be playing somewhere else in a higher league.

I agree.

Whilst I think it's fair that everyone looks to get the best deal for themselves, I think it's approaching make your mind up time now for Neil. If he didn't have the security net of another year at Preston I reckon we'd have got him in by now, but as it is I could see this dragging on a while longer yet.

I still think we'll get him though, as much as I love him I just can't see many Championship teams queing up to pay Preston for his services.

Btw this article explains it a bit better: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/rival_clubs_join_the_hunt_but_neil_likes_wednesday_1_3527334?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I to would rather find a quicker striker, still think Mellor a bit donkeyfied. I know Scotland not that quick but reckon he'd score more than Mellor.

Is defo try for Alf

Le Fondre won't fo **** all above League Two in his career.

Very ordinary footballer who's a very decent League Two striker. Nothing more though.

As proved by the fact no one has signed him yet from Rotherham, despite on the face of it, two pretty prolific seasons in front of goal.

I wish people would stop mentioning him to be honest.

Guest wilyfox

to miss out on Mellor would be a shame because he's a good all-rounder and performed well last term. it wont be easy to find an equal for this season. Mellor has been holding out for a champ club to express interest all summer - and in fairness, he deserves to be there. he was an established champ player with Preston, and at 28 he is in his prime. he's come off the back of his most prolific season to date. its a shame because we knew him, he knew us. he's a Sheffield lad, his dad was an Owl too. tiz a pity, but he deserves to ply his trade at a higher level. he dropped down a level to play for us for one season. had we been promoted, i'm sure he'd have signed permanently. thats life...

I've just searched his name on twatter, he's not on. But it shows tweets that mention him and the Watford and Saints fans don't seem happy about the thought of him, no tweets from Donny but hardly surprising, they've only just got electric never mind the Internet :biggrin:

I agree.

Whilst I think it's fair that everyone looks to get the best deal for themselves, I think it's approaching make your mind up time now for Neil. If he didn't have the security net of another year at Preston I reckon we'd have got him in by now, but as it is I could see this dragging on a while longer yet.

I still think we'll get him though, as much as I love him I just can't see many Championship teams queing up to pay Preston for his services.

Btw this article explains it a bit better: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/rival_clubs_join_the_hunt_but_neil_likes_wedn

esday_1_3527334?

utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

This bit

Mellor, who scored 20 goals on loan for the Owls last season, told The Star: “I understand it is still possible that something could be sorted out with Wednesday. But I’m sure the Wednesday fans would not hold it against me if a Championship club come in for me.

“I still hope to play for Wednesday again, whether that’s next season or whenever; it’s a club that will always be close to my heart, and whether I’m playing for them or not I still want them to do well.

“I don’t want anyone to think I am turning my back on them.

Sorry but yes I would hold it against him. Not thru bitterness but because he's showed no regard for us and would have (IMO) used us to attract bids. If he's not willing to show us any loyalty then why should we show him any.

But maybe I'm just a grumpy old man lol

Would you show loyalty to your former employer (and let's not forget he currently has no tie to us whatsoever) if someone was offering you a better working environment, with more chance for career progression and presumably a considerably higher salary?

Anyone else getting increasingly bored with this Neil Mellor saga?

He did well for us last season (well in patches), but he really isn't that good a player.

He was bobbins in the Championship for Preston.

Though, in saying that, 20 goals in League One was a good return and not signing him would mean having to recruit another striker.

Edited by SiJ

Anyone else getting increasingly bored with this Neil Mellor saga?

He did well for us last season (well in patches), but he really isn't that good a player.

He was bobbins in the Championship for Preston.

Though, in saying that, 20 goals in League One was a good return and not signing him would mean having to recruit another striker.

pretty much. the bit in bold bothers me, im not sure who else we have lined up to replace him if he doesnt sign, but its better to have a proven striker than take a gamble.

i get the feeling he is trying to keep both us and preston happy, in case the championship clubs dont come for him. Megson needs to have another striker lined up, because i dont want someone here who sees us as a second choice.

That said, i wonder if Madine/Morrison, with a decent support from midfield and two pacy wingers, would be enough. both are pretty decent in the box, and Madine could well lead the line in a league one side. Morrison next to him for a bit of experience, and a younger pacy striker to come on when defences tire, a bit like we did when we got out of this flipping league ironically..

Would you show loyalty to your former employer (and let's not forget he currently has no tie to us whatsoever) if someone was offering you a better working environment, with more chance for career progression and presumably a considerably higher salary?

workplace is slightly different to football though. If i was on £10k at Preston, and wednesday came in for me, id jump even if the wages were a fraction. but im a wednesday fan. cant say im a fan of ANY workplace, tbh..

If Mellor wants to play at Wednesday, he should stop flipping about and sign. If hes not that arsed, then fine, go for the better offer. but dont go on abouot how much you klove the club when you dont really want to sign for them..

Although I'd be happy with a Madine/Morrison combination, we need more options. Morrison is one of the most technically gifted players at our disposal. He is perhaps the best player we have at playing someone like JJ or Dyer

This bit

Mellor, who scored 20 goals on loan for the Owls last season, told The Star: “I understand it is still possible that something could be sorted out with Wednesday. But I’m sure the Wednesday fans would not hold it against me if a Championship club come in for me.

“I still hope to play for Wednesday again, whether that’s next season or whenever; it’s a club that will always be close to my heart, and whether I’m playing for them or not I still want them to do well.

“I don’t want anyone to think I am turning my back on them.

Sorry but yes I would hold it against him. Not thru bitterness but because he's showed no regard for us and would have (IMO) used us to attract bids. If he's not willing to show us any loyalty then why should we show him any.

But maybe I'm just a grumpy old man lol

i don't hold anything against him...

he's free to secure the best deal he can...

i just think at mellors age and state of fitness, if he doesn't come now then he'll not be good enough in future (unless it's on the turnstyle)...

if he doesn't sign now any future signing would be over megsons dead body...

workplace is slightly different to football though. If i was on £10k at Preston, and wednesday came in for me, id jump even if the wages were a fraction. but im a wednesday fan. cant say im a fan of ANY workplace, tbh..

If Mellor wants to play at Wednesday, he should stop flipping about and sign. If hes not that arsed, then fine, go for the better offer. but dont go on abouot how much you klove the club when you dont really want to sign for them..

It's frustrating and annoying but it's part of the business and there's not much we can do about it. It would be nice if players could say "no, I want to play for Wednesday and damn the terms of my contract" but let's live in the real world here. Footballers have a short career and look to get the most out of it that they can and that is perfectly understandable. Furthermore, a good many of those complaining about it are utter hypocrites who would do precisely the same thing given half the chance. There's no point acting like spoilt brats about it.